When a 20K bottom end goes bang...

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I will be going to see him end of this week and will weigh up my options after that. I have a number of witnesses, but the whole affair is very complicated. Hopefully his insurance (if any!) will cover it, otherwise I am not looking forward to a legal battle.

Baseball bat might be eaier and quicker.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

rods

Post by Starion VR4 »

I really feel 4 U, I have just finished rebuilding a RB26DETT as well, cost him $9000, new block, rods, pistons, N1 oil pump, etc.... from the pic looks as if the rod bolt came loose, this isa common problem with this engine. But H beam rods doing? I have never seen this in my 25yrs of rebuilding engines with performance rods,..... I am at an loss. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
INP51
I like starions more

Re: rods

Post by INP51 »

Starion VR4 wrote:I really feel 4 U, I have just finished rebuilding a RB26DETT as well, cost him $9000, new block, rods, pistons, N1 oil pump, etc.... from the pic looks as if the rod bolt came loose, this isa common problem with this engine. But H beam rods doing? I have never seen this in my 25yrs of rebuilding engines with performance rods,..... I am at an loss. :beer
I have ... my old man had one let go on him just b4 chrissy on they dyno only at 6500rpm the motor had just been rebuilt with cp pistons (1500km on the pistons) and H beams with brand new arp rod bolts was on the dyno gettin a final tune and it broke a rod bolt... kicked 1 through the block and 2 through the sump big clean up but shit happens

but yeah it the hole wasnt there b4 and it is now thats when u know theres somethin fishy goin on
Why drink n drive when u can drift n slide ?
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Well, the opinions on my engine suggest that it was either oil starvation and/or ARP 2000 series rod bolt failure. However, the result of what you see here is due to a person knowingly revving the nuts off the engine that already had a big end knock.

I have a heard of a few ARP 2000 series rod bolts letting go. I will be using a version of these that are supposed to be better when I rebuild next.
Last edited by NXTIME on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

dam 32s and their oil pumps
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

If this engine had a bottom end noise and he knew it and you have instructed him not to drive it then you have won this case. If you have instructed him to drive it at all you will lose the case. There are other factors to consider though when rebuilding this 'expensive' engine that others have mentioned.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

It has a JUN oil pump and Trust baffle and sump extension, CussCuss.

Flav, you would have to be a complete retard to drive a car with a bottom end knock in it, let alone thrash it like this.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Yes...you found one. Plenty more out there, lets hope 'retard' has a good cheque book.