Ever locked the keys in the car?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I've got another good trick for people with those pesky alarm systems that automatically lock the doors 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned off like I do, I've already had to do this twice and I'm sure it will happen again. it will only work if you have a sunroof or have left the window down an inch or so.

So your stuck on the side of the road or wherever and need some quick assitance, just flag down another kind motorist, theres always someone willing to lend a hand. Then you crank open their engine bay and pull out the dip stick (make sure it isn't too hot!) and give it a good clean off. Now simply slide the dip stick into your car top end first and use the loop to hook your keys and pull them out. Easy as! The best part is every car has (or should have) a dip stick so anyone can help out.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

we should be careful from here on in, as the last thing we want is a "how to" on braking into starions!

just alittle of topic: i seen an old school Immobilizer system the other day, it was in a mates VL. It was a lock under the driver’s side mat that used a key to open and close a tap in the fuel line, so if someone tries to steal your car they won’t be able to start it because there’s no fuel. Though my mate actually broke the key off inside the lock :x and the tap was still closed! so we had to make a bypass.
I'm Back
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

Post by StarionBoy »

nice idea, dunno how easy it would be to hook the keys with the end of the dipstick tho, and im sure the other person will be pissed when u fumble and accidentily drop there dip stick in your locked car rofl

my alarm locks then door and automatically winds the windows up, so no help for me lol..
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

StarionBoy wrote: my alarm locks then door and automatically winds the windows up, so no help for me lol..
Wicked, whats the alarm called?
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

most alarms will have an output to do this, you just need to get window winders attached to those outputs. Talk to any reputable car alarm installer and they'll be able to get the gear for you.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

gotrice, if u have an alarm with keyless entry, how would u manage to lock the keys in the car (assuming your not wiring up your stereo or something at home)? dont u press the lock button on the remote to lock your doors?
AB

Post by AB »

I think all 5 star alarms are required to automatically lock the doors 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned off.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

My 5 star alarm doesn't lock the doors, it just immobilises the engine UNLESS you unlock the car and don't open the door within 30 secs in which case it locl it.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Features like auto-lock, auto-immobilse etc can all be turned off by using your key and remote. So for those who didnt know, you can turn this stuff off. Assuming you have a decent alarm and not a trademe.co.nz $99 special.

Auto-immobilse is required by 5 star, but dont think lock is. Gf's MX5 has a 5 star certified install, and she doesnt even have central locking.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

you can just get an old bonnet pull from some wreck, hook it over the standard pull thingy for the hatch and mount it under the car in some weird a-hole of a spot so you get to lie on the dirty floor in your work gear to pop the hatch. works for me.
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
AB

Post by AB »

Another good trick I have for another bastard of a car that I drive, this time a 93 Mitsubishi Galant that automatically locks the doors whenever it bloody well feels like it (ECU problem this time, maybe leaking capacitors), is to hide one of those magnetic key holders up in the engine bay.

Mine is well hidden so it is an absolute bastard to reach, but beats walking home and it is impossible to see from underneath so there is no risk of some random person finding it, and because it is sitting upright it can't just fall off when I hit speed bumps at 80k. This thing has saved me many many times.

On another note, I had a read of my alarm manual and it turns out you can turn off the auto lock, which is handy, although I think I might leave it on just in case.