Car Power Restrictions on P platers (NSW) from 2005

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

fr335tyl3r wrote:they do the passenger restriction in NZ. so yes they can do it.

And to answer ure q's huever wasnt sure about the enforcement of the laws:

REGARDLESS of whether your car is already bought and registered...if you are a red p plater you CANNOT own or drive a high powered vehicle (as classified by the RTA) under the new legislation.

Passenger rule in its current form will apply to ALL p platers at ALL Times of day...

Just clearing things up :)
if you clear things up, you might want to get them right, the passenger rule is only for people who have lost their licence and and going back on their p's.
The rule WILL BE power to weight, the exact wording was "SUCH AS turbos and v8's" v10s and a lotus elise would be banned aswell.
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

Now the question is will this passanger limit affect people who have lost there licenses in the past. I was thinking that surely this would be unconstitutinal but it is a worry.
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

It should really be POWER/BRAIN ratio, it seems that for some P platers even 100Kw is too much, because of these dickheads the rest has to suffer.. an idiot will find himself wrapped around a pole even behind the wheel of a bloody Kingswood..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

I haven't decided yet what side of the fence I'm coming down on in the passenger and power restrictions thing. I definitely think defensive driving courses are the go though. I just did one and looking back on the near misses and "incidents" I've had on my P's, if I'd known what you learn in those courses they might not have happened, or at least not have been as bad. Instead I had to learn through the school of hard knocks.....I'm just glad I didn't clean anyone up in the process.
There's nothing like actually SEEING and EXPERIENCING (in a safe environment like a driving course or even a race day) exactly how much effort, distance and time it takes to pull a car up and control it in an emergency to make you think twice about doing stupid stuff on the open road. But then it does require a positive attitude too.
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Well another 20 yr old wped himself and his passenger out last night at Milperra in his Nissan GTR. Not sure of the details but the news said he was street racing at the time.

Now whatever the age, one thing is clear - the dickhead element just doesnt get it that the streets are for commuting and the race track is for racing. Its a brain/attitude issue here so without getting all controversial wouldnt a graded licensing system for all ages be worth considering. They do it in racing from Go Karts all the way to F1. Without proof of the necessary experience and skills you just dont get an upgraded licence. End of story.

A minumum number of years of accident free driving supported by a a range of advanced/defensive driving courses would underpin the system.

For the road, it would mean you shouldnt be able to own and/or register a car above a certain HP without a commensurate licence in your name. It wont stop the dickhead from fanging his mates car illegally but it will prevent little the rich boys from buying or building up a car that is way beyond their maturity and (tested) skills level.

That my thoughts anyway.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
StarJunk
Thorpie says it's fully sick

REALLY???

Post by StarJunk »

Hmm, things have really changed since my day... I was off my P's at 17. :wink: