Car Power Restrictions on P platers (NSW) from 2005

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Car Power Restrictions on P platers (NSW) from 2005

Post by fr335tyl3r »

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Ban ... 19453.html

Sounds like its going to happen. If anyone can find any exact details on the power-weight or capacity-weight they want to enforce, i'de be interested. Looks like it will only affect P1 drivers though (Red P-Platers) so I can still drive the starion :)
Glenjo
Enthusiast

Post by Glenjo »

Red P platers? Do you have stages to your P's? I saw that article on new.com.au, didn't post it up here because.. well i live in Melbourne.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at what point were P Platers NOT banned from driving high powered vehicles? To be honest, it pisses me off, I'm just off my "P's", after almost 4 years mind you, and it annoys me that now any wanker with mammy and daddy's money can just buy what they like, drive like tools and go and kill some innocent other driver! P platers ARE restricted to only drive vehicles up to 125kw per tonne power to weight ratio! And if you look at that reasonably, there is a huge range of cars within that block which are perfect for you to "learn" to drive! But for some bizzarre reason, police everywhere seem to not care anymore and these twats are still driving around! I'm sorry to ramble on, but i'm tired of this crap, and where I live all I see is "P" platers driving around in WRX, Supra's, Skylines, 200sx, 300zx, 180sx and don't get me started on VL Calais's! I've been almost killed numerous times by these wanker rich kids or bogan scum thinking they own the god damn road! I work hard for my money, I know what it takes to get my cars up to scratch and I respect the cars more for it! It don't need a handout to be respected! I earn it! :glare:
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

I saw this on the news tonight, they said p platers would no longer be able to drive turbocharged, supercharged or V8's. Dosn't sound like there will be any specific power to weight ratio just a complete ban
no more galant, no more turbo :( hello pimp magna :)
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Here is the full story for you to clear things up...

Chunk: NSW P Platers have no restrictions...only melb p platers have these rules applied on them, we did not have restrictions here until now.

Basically what is happening is when a car is registered it will be tagged as a "power" vehicle or normal vehicle. If the car falls into this power category (the means by which they determine these cars is unknown, but it seems modern turbos, v8s and supercharged cars will be on the list), and you are a red p plater, you will not be allowed to drive it.

The new rules take use of our tier'd p plate system here in nsw (ie, red p plates for first yr, green p plates for next 2 years) so only red p platers will have the restrictions applied to them. In addition to this, all p platers (red and green) will have a 1 passenger limit at ALL times restriction placed upon them.

Also, all red p platers, upon holding their license for between 6 and 12 months must complete a mandatory defensive driver course (at least they are doing something right!).

Hope this helps.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

sounds reasonable... except the 1 passanger thing. that should be only afer nightfall or something. nothing wrong with a p-plater car full of hot chicks heading to the beach! just the car full of dickheads at night who cruise looking for trouble.
_

Post by Glenjo »

I'll second that. Twice.
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

I thought it was a blanket ban for all p platers except those who already own the cars. And the one passenger was to be for reds and those who have lost there license.?
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

well im just adding my 2 cents... if anyone wants to drive a high powered car they should go through a experienced driving test... i have seen some really bad older drivers too... its not so much the car that is too dangerous for them as you can speed in any bucket of shit... it is the drivers them self that are just twats... there is a time an place if u want to give your car a bit of a hammering
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
CaptainShiner
Big Dorifto

Post by CaptainShiner »

well I reckon if someone wants to drive a high powered car and drive it fast, join a sporting or racing car club and do it on the race track. I live a couple of hours from Brisbane and even still there is a race track within 40 mins drive you can hire for the day for $25.00. Clean cheap safe and legal fun..... thats my 1/2 cent
...and on the seventh day god made mercedes.... and he saw it was perfect...
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

CaptainShiner wrote:well I reckon if someone wants to drive a high powered car and drive it fast, join a sporting or racing car club and do it on the race track. I live a couple of hours from Brisbane and even still there is a race track within 40 mins drive you can hire for the day for $25.00. Clean cheap safe and legal fun..... thats my 1/2 cent
the problem is that to many younger drivers end up dead its a fact
maybe nothing can be done about it
taking high powered cars from low powered divers may not be a bad thing and lets face it the average P plater in the first 12 months is not realy up to speed
however shiner has a point a control inviroment ( race track ) is the best way to learn

and that my 2 bobs werth

stephen
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I wasn't having a go at anyone, I was just saying what I think! I'm just tired of the bullshit you know! Bit shitty about the passenger restriction! Can they really do that?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

they do the passenger restriction in NZ. so yes they can do it.

And to answer ure q's huever wasnt sure about the enforcement of the laws:

REGARDLESS of whether your car is already bought and registered...if you are a red p plater you CANNOT own or drive a high powered vehicle (as classified by the RTA) under the new legislation.

Passenger rule in its current form will apply to ALL p platers at ALL Times of day...

Just clearing things up :)
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

I wonder who will sit there and go through every model of car avaiable on the australian market, EVER and decide weather or not its a performance car or not..:P Im betting quite a few will be forgotten.
---------
TVR T350C
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

how long do u have to stay on Ps for in nsw? only 1 year here or until your 19.
_