1/4 mile times

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
87_starion
Big Dorifto

Post by 87_starion »

I managed a 14.3 @ 153.57 with a stock 87 Starion.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

87_starion wrote:I managed a 14.3 @ 153.57 with a stock 87 Starion.
nice, standard boost?
_

Post by ProZac »

87_starion wrote:I managed a 14.3 @ 153.57 with a stock 87 Starion.
Wouldnt mind some more details on your car? I do love the late model ones. NZ New?
87_starion
Big Dorifto

Post by 87_starion »

Hmm, when I raced it was running 12 - 13psi, this was with the factory actuator line and nothing in it. Now it runs 13 - 14psi. Is 12 - 13Psi standard on this model?

Nah, it was imported into N.Z. from japan in 1994. What details were you after, more than happy to supply?? :)
Glenjo
Enthusiast

Post by Glenjo »

87_starion wrote:Is 12 - 13Psi standard on this model?
:shock:
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Glenjo wrote:
87_starion wrote:Is 12 - 13Psi standard on this model?
:shock:
rofl rofl rofl
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
UltimateLurker
Big Dorifto

Post by UltimateLurker »

With widebodies, 13-second ¼-mile times are pretty easy, literally 3 mods and you're there. I don't have a ¼-mile track near, but I do have an 8th mile track that's close enough that I made it 14 times last year :o...lol, and I can easily estimate my ¼-mile time from that, and here's how.

The fastest SQ ever recorded in the US was an '88 SHP, it did the 8th mile in 10.2, and the ¼-mile in 15.4 (the second 8th taking 5.2 seconds). When I got my '89 SHP I promptly added an OVCP with a BOV, K&N, and a TurboXS MBC, but only managed to squeeze off a 10.1 8th time.

During the next year I positively threw money at the car, and took it to the track after every mod. I've ended up at 8.7 for my 8th, so I estimate my ¼-mile to be at the very worst 13.9 (8.7 + 5.2), and at the very best 12.9 (if I could get it to hook).

This year I'll be taking it to several ¼-mile tracks (hopefully) to get some 12-second timeslips.

NOTE:For those of you wondering, my car put down 233 HP and 313 ft lbs of torque on the dyno with only a full 3" exhaust, 1G MAS + K&N, Greddy Profec B EVC, 3000GT RR's, and a 550+ CFM Super 16G set at 17 psi. I also have a Spec stage II clutch, a 11.5 lb Fidanza aluminum flywheel, heavy duty U-joints, and Yokohama ADVAN A032R rear tires (which are all important!).

My biggest improvement really was from the tires, I can't stress it enough. When I got the car I had new Kumho ECSTA tires (220 TWR) and always ran 2.3 60 ft times, but with the mods and the Mighty Yoko's (50 AA TWR) I'm at a 1.8 60 ft :o.
UL (The Encyclopedia Starquestica)

mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

UltimateLurker,
in the US when people say they are going to the track on the weekend most people would assume they mean the drag strip. In OZ when we say we are going to a track day we mean what you would call a "road race" circuit.
Actually a reasonable proportion of the members on this forum would have been around a circuit in anger.
The lack of 1/4 mile times posted is a reflection of hardly anybody has been to the drags rather than an actual lack of interest in going quick in a straight line!
UltimateLurker
Big Dorifto

Post by UltimateLurker »

I understand, sorry, my mistake.

I've been on road-race circuits before, I used to have a Honda S2000, it was almost impossible for anyone to keep up with me, it was my stock-in-trade so to speak.

However, I decided to purchase a rather large house and sold the S2K to help me do it, now I drive a Honda Civic EX as my daily driver, and my 'Quest is a weekend-warrior.

In the US, the Starquests are looked at like Japanese Muscle Cars, the I4 is HUGE, and has mountains of torque, but the car doesn't handle so good, a Miata will spank it easily.

NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

There are a few of us who have an interest in the 1/4 mile, don't worry about that ;)
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

UltimateLurker wrote:I understand, sorry, my mistake.
No mistake on your part really. It's just that access to the 400m (1/4 mile) strips is not as good as circuits. It's not that people don't want to go. Can you believe Sydney our biggest city did not have a drag strip for about 15 years after the orignal one closed down :(
But we had 3 road race circuits (recently now 2).

Anyhow we now have world class WSID (opened last year I think).
http://www.wsid.com.au/

They have "street meets" Wednesday nights I will have to take my car out there sometime.
In the US, the Starquests are looked at like Japanese Muscle Cars, the I4 is HUGE, and has mountains of torque, but the car doesn't handle so good, a Miata will spank it easily.
That's where the OZ spec Starions are different the cars handle very well. The 4G63 is MUCH lighter than G54B. Quite different to drive in anger I have both and the JA turns in so much better and feels far more agiile.
This is also reflected by comments on the Tristarion forum where I asked a few guys who had done 4G63 DOHC conversion and they said the car felt far more balanced and handled better. Not that the widebody is a bad handler it's just that the JA is damn good!
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I am sure we have discussed this before, but how much does the 2.6 weigh compared to the 2.0?

As for drag strips, The straight at the local circuit track (Eastern Creek Raceway) was being used for a few years as a 1/4 mile strip until Sydney finally got WSID. Be sure to let us know when you are going to WSID, Mark. Interested to see how the widebody goes.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

NXTIME wrote:I am sure we have discussed this before, but how much does the 2.6 weigh compared to the 2.0?

As for drag strips, The straight at the local circuit track (Eastern Creek Raceway) was being used for a few years as a 1/4 mile strip until Sydney finally got WSID. Be sure to let us know when you are going to WSID, Mark. Interested to see how the widebody goes.
Yes I will let you know if I am going to the drags.
With the 2.6 not sure we ever got accurate numbers did we? All I know is my Kmart Jack will not even lift the widebody jacking in the middle of the front cross member but with the JA it will lift to it's full height no problem.
UltimateLurker
Big Dorifto

Post by UltimateLurker »

Don't get me wrong, when the Widebody came out with it's huge 16" wheels and sticky Yokohama A008 tires, it felt like it was on rails! Compared to the other cars of the day, it handled excellent, it just doesn't seem to hold up in today's world with it's weight and dated re-ball steering (man, what was Mitsu thinkin' with that?).

To my mind the G54B should have never been in the Starion, the car positively screams technology, what sense does it make to put a workhorse truck/marine/forklift motor in a space-age craft?

Anyway...

Mitsubishi said our '84 with the G54B weighed 2,802 lbs (and they're always 200 lbs short), so what did your '84 weigh?

Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

UltimateLurker wrote:Don't get me wrong, when the Widebody came out with it's huge 16" wheels and sticky Yokohama A008 tires, it felt like it was on rails! Compared to the other cars of the day, it handled excellent, it just doesn't seem to hold up in today's world with it's weight and dated re-ball steering (man, what was Mitsu thinkin' with that?).

To my mind the G54B should have never been in the Starion, the car positively screams technology, what sense does it make to put a workhorse truck/marine/forklift motor in a space-age craft?

Anyway...

Mitsubishi said our '84 with the G54B weighed 2,802 lbs (and they're always 200 lbs short), so what did your '84 weigh?
2802 lbs = 1270kg's

Add that '200 short": 3002 lbs = 1361kg's

The JA starion is listed as 1265kg's = 2788 lbs in Yanky language.