Dyno question and fuel question!

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

forgive me if you've already answered this, but what computer are you running? can it actually run in closed loop? Does the computer manual mention a specific type or model of sensor?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Haltec LT10...(?)
starionc
I love starions

Post by starionc »

The computer is a Haltec LT10s and the sensor is a 5 wire Haltec one that will allow the computer to run closed loop..
It is $385 inc GST Comes with a control box and more wiring! YAY just what I need rofl

Aaron stumbled across my car today!!!!! He sent me a photo of it :o
He tells me that the exhaust looks to be tucked up nice and close to the floor. I have not seen it yet, I'll head down tomorrow and have a look see and get some pics.
Also need to put some road tyres on it for the dyno on Monday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
How many Starions can one man drive!!

Check out my website: www.aboutstumpgrinding.com.au
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ProZac wrote:Wideband sensors and controllers arent anywhere near that expensive anymore... a little over $200 will get you a decent innovate one.
plus fitting and markup
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

you better check what ecu you actually have...it's probably a Haltech, but not a LT10S (which is a Microtech).

who is tuning it?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

thrash wrote:
Alspos wrote: Could you put the AFM in after the turbo, cooler and BOV? That would negate any effect a bov, pressure losses etc would have on the system wouldn't it?

Al, I would theorize that the afm would not work after the turbo without extensive recalibration - most AFMs these days are hot wire (even though apparently the karman vortex ones used in old mitsus such as the starion is meant to be a better design..?), and so there are temperature variation measurements involved, and as you know the air temp after a turbo can vary a fair bit based on a multitude of factors.
Sorry to drag this back up and I'm not trying to flame you, but....

If you have the AFM in the normal place it would see temperature fluctuations anyway wouldn't it, so how would it being after the turbo and cooler be any different (apart from the extremes it may see). Does or can an AFM read the temp as well as flow? Something in the system would have to measure temp and flow to correctly adjust fuel mixtures to suit.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

I would have thought that the inlet air temps would be best measured at the inlet manifold/plenum.???
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

ProZac wrote:Wideband sensors and controllers arent anywhere near that expensive anymore... a little over $200 will get you a decent innovate one.
you mean like this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Innovate-Mot ... 2a144927dd
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

redzone wrote:
plus fitting and markup
Whoops, I forgot about fitting, probably a good couple of hours of labour in that job. But that $225ish is a retail price. Even cheaper for you guys with how good your dollar is these days.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

GormzZ wrote:
you mean like this one?

Bingo, yup. The MTX-L is a controller and gauge in one unit. The gauge also has two user configurable outputs, so should be able to interface with any decent standalone ECU. I prefer the older separate LC1 controllers though. Same tech pretty much, but you can hook them up to any aftermarket o2 gauge, or not have a gauge at all and just use them for generating a signal to the ECU.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Al, flame me as much as you want :beer I was only putting out a blind theory, with no evidence whatsoever, and I'm the first to admit I could be completely wrong.

There are always temperature variations before the turbo, yes, but what I was saying was that I would think that the maf would see a much wider range of temps post-turbo - i.e. unless you're constantly travelling up and down a mountain, pre-turbo ambient temps would vary maybe 2 or 3 degrees C max, such as 21 - 23 degrees on a spring day. Post turbo, no matter what the ambient is, you may be seeing 30 to 60 degrees, so a 30 degree variation. Although, now that I think about it, if your intercooler was anything but undersized, post-intercooler temps should not vary so much.

I have never seen a car with the maf after the turbo from factory, hence I was thinking that there must have been a reason for not placing the maf after the turbo - but apparently some supercharged mercs run them after the supercharger unit.

A bit of internet forum trolling seems to suggest that it is indeed possible to run maf after the turbo, and in fact this produces better idle (multiple people with a variety of cars on different forums claim to have moved the maf to after the turbo and achieved this), but possible richer running on boost. Also, a big drawback is the high chance of oil contamination of the maf, either by worn turbo seals, or even just by plumbed back blow-by.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

It would depend on the type of MAF... I'd think that a 'hot wire' maf (which I think all the nissan ones are?) might have a bit of trouble?

Mitsy ones work off the turbulence inside the maf itself, and this might or might not be mucked up under pressure.. not sure... I suspect they'd work, but would need calibrating.

The guys in the US are having success running a GM MAF after the turbo with those MAF converter thingee's... I've got no idea what tech those MAF's use though.

Our maf's have an air temp sensor built into them which the computer uses to adjust the fueling. Later model intercooled versions had a temp sensor just before the tbi unit too... I'm not sure if this replaced the one in the MAF, or both were used.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

ProZac wrote:
GormzZ wrote:
you mean like this one?

Bingo, yup. The MTX-L is a controller and gauge in one unit. The gauge also has two user configurable outputs, so should be able to interface with any decent standalone ECU. I prefer the older separate LC1 controllers though. Same tech pretty much, but you can hook them up to any aftermarket o2 gauge, or not have a gauge at all and just use them for generating a signal to the ECU.
I had an LC-1 from Innovate and had so many problems with it, think its cheap for a reason. The forum is full of people having the same issues, blinking lights, error codes, dead sensors. Forever having to calibrate in free air which means removing the sensor etc etc. The AEM ones seem to be better and also the Tech Edge.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I like the Tech Edge or Zeitronix kits.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

popup wrote:
ProZac wrote:
GormzZ wrote: you mean like this one?

I had an LC-1 from Innovate and had so many problems with it, think its cheap for a reason. The forum is full of people having the same issues, blinking lights, error codes, dead sensors. Forever having to calibrate in free air which means removing the sensor etc etc. The AEM ones seem to be better and also the Tech Edge.
AEM For Ya?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEM-Fail-Saf ... 2a1f8dfcad
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...