What got you into cars?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Steve E
should not drink and push buttons

Post by Steve E »

For me it was a 56 F100 with a 429 under the hood, roof chop, dropped over the chassis etc. He took me run and i almost pissed my pants. :oops:
Steve
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Grandad used to take me and my sisters for drives in his VG Pacer replica when I was a kid, that car was what started it all for me. There is still, to this day, only one six cylinder engine I've heard that sounds as menacing at idle as a worked hemi six with a lumpy cam and triple Webers (that would be a worked Nissan L28 with a similarly large cam and triples), and none that sound as good with some revs on board :drool:
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

My old man basically built up a Mitsubishi/Todd motors dealership in the early 80s in the small town where I grew up, so as a child in the 80s/90s I was constantly exposed to that era Mitsubishis and other Japanese makes. Dad would always bring home a different new demonstrator model every week just about - it would be Cordias, Sigmas, Galants, Tredias, Chariots (Numbus) and even things like Datsuns, Toyotas etc which he would have traded to get them into a Mitsubishi. I think my old man was responsible for over half the township driving around in Mitsubishis - I'm sure there was probably a haze of blue smoke sitting above the township as the Mitsis got older!
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'm trying to avoid posting in this thread
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

redzone wrote:i'm trying to avoid posting in this thread
Why?
Where you made, or maby born, in a car? :D
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote:i'm trying to avoid posting in this thread
Can you please try again Dave?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

cox family history lesson.. hmmmm..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
paradox
I like starions

Post by paradox »

I was always into the little rc models tho never had one until when i could buy it myself, and my dad was into the old cars but that never really kicked my interest in getting a car other than being transport at the time.
when i think about it actually there was one person I knew that had rc cars and used them a bit when i was around and I didn't care about getting a sporty car until I saw starions on my trip up to qld and remembered seeing them about when i was a kid being the only car that got my attention.
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by greenstaz82 »

I guess my father got me into cars . My father has always been involved in hotrods and customs and has had many cars over the years , he is a panel beater by trade and i guess i followed in his foot steps and became one myself . My first car at 17 was a CL Valiant sedan which had 2 inch blocks in the back and the front wound down on the bump stops .
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

My grandad was modifying and racing cars from the 30's to the 50's, then got into restoring veteran cars in the 60's, both my dad and uncle raced bikes in the 50's then dad got into cars, and was pretty successful down in tassie at longford, baskerville and simmons plains..

then he retired for a while, but the bug bit hard again in the mid 70's after they moved up here and dad bought an ex HDT XU1 from Dick Johnson and raced in the qld touring car series in 77 and 78, won in 77 and runner up in 78. so i was born while dad wa in the middle of that, while mum was pregnant she was attending the races too! they reckon that has an influence on you, what you're exposed to while in the womb.. dad built a couple of XU1 powered gemini sport sedans next, and retired from racing in 1983.

In my youngest years i was at lakeside and surfers paradise racetracks, the smell of avgas and racing rubber reminds me of my childhood LOL

Here's some pics :)

Paramount Ford:

Paramount Jag:

first body

second body

XU1 and dad's Monaro, with my trailer behind it!

I've got dad's race suit at home, safety standards are a bit higher these days!!!

Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Yep that's definately your dad. Almost like looking in a mirror but he is just a little chubby in the face :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah it's funny, i've never had as much hair as dad had though! a few of his old mates from tassie came up last year and were spinning out about how much i look like dad when he was young.

ps yes that's Mr Ralliart in dad's arms with the paramount jag..

WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I had a camel t-shirt just like that guy is wearing. They were out from Jim Smiths Rover V8 Sport sedan that carried Camel Filters sponsorship. The "smoking camel" was the character I recall.

Great story Dave, lot of history there. :beer

I think you're right, it all starts in the womb. :wink:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone wrote:yeah it's funny, i've never had as much hair as dad had though!
your hair genes come from the parent of the opposite sex.. so guys look at your mum's dad for an early indication, and girls, your kids will have your dad's hair :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah my hair is definitely like my grandad frank's was, i have a hell of a widower's peak.

Dad holds a couple of speed records in the Jag, it was timed at an average of 148.3MPH over the flying mile at longford, during a race.. that's faster than ALL the other XK jags raced in australia, including a couple of D types, C types, and Bob Jane's lightweight e type.. pretty good for a home built car!

as u can see though the thing was the size of a austin healey sprite, it was an engine on wheels! the body was molded from a friend of dad's Lotus 11, the body was widened to suit the Jag frame..