Mid 20's life crisis - need advice

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
robert26t
Enthusiast

Post by robert26t »

haha im in the same situation with the house rennos. tryin to fit in my car in the very little free time i have.

Go a evo 6, keep it in the family ;)
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I've always liked the last generation of 300zx's.
They look good, can go pretty hard, and are within budget.
I came extremely close to buying one, just before I bought the Nissabishi.
I know you're not in WA, but here's a good example - http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... e&AdOnTop=

Otherwise what about a 3000GT?
They are a bit of pain in the ass to work on, but there are still some nice ones in good condition for reasonable money.
They look bloody nice too! :drool:
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Hmm 15-20k and ball-tearingly-fast?

MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

I reckon the latest VR4's are the most nuts car you can get for that price... V6 twin turbo! All the luxuries too. They're also called the Legnum in wagon form. If you do an image search on google for Legnum or even just VR4 you'll see how tough they look!
Plus for 15k theyre a crazy bargain for the luxury and power factor that should be up with the more expensive BMW's etc.

:)
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

A diiferent angle...
A ball tearing fast street car (modified) in the hands of a mid-20's...

= High insurance costs, 100% chance of getting defected, 50% chance of speeding fines and loosing your licence (YOU ARE VIC) and a 10% chance of prang it or getting stollen.

SO...

If I had that money I'd put $10k into a track car that is already built. S13 to S15? Drift and drive it in anger. The other $5k is tyres, parts, repairs.

One of my favourite website to check everynow and then. They have been around for years...

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/mo ... ockID=4896

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/mo ... ockID=4492

RACE ONLY CARS CAN BE CHEAP!!!
1985 JB Starion #157
palmystar
Dorifto!

Post by palmystar »

MitsuMadness wrote:I reckon the latest VR4's are the most nuts car you can get for that price... V6 twin turbo! All the luxuries too. They're also called the Legnum in wagon form. If you do an image search on google for Legnum or even just VR4 you'll see how tough they look!
Plus for 15k theyre a crazy bargain for the luxury and power factor that should be up with the more expensive BMW's etc.

:)
Agree they look pretty tough. they are pretty heavy cars and take a bit of work to get them going really well. They are also one of the worst cars on fuel i have been in. prob second only to my 20B turbo cosmo that i once had. They are nice cars though. just a pity about their thirst.
If its not broken. Don't fix it
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

and the fact that you cannot upgrade the turbo's without making new exhaust manifolds, no-one does anything for them...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

and they are all grey import here.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

TOMSUN wrote:A diiferent angle...
A ball tearing fast street car (modified) in the hands of a mid-20's...
= High insurance costs, 100% chance of getting defected, 50% chance of speeding fines and loosing your licence (YOU ARE VIC) and a 10% chance of prang it or getting stollen.
SO...
If I had that money I'd put $10k into a track car that is already built. S13 to S15? Drift and drive it in anger. The other $5k is tyres, parts, repairs.
One of my favourite website to check everynow and then. They have been around for years...
http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/mo ... ockID=4896
http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/mo ... ockID=4492
RACE ONLY CARS CAN BE CHEAP!!!
Tomsun is making a tonne of sense. Doesn't the work vehicle have a towbar Dave? If so ,you are set!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

tomsun's argument is sensible for sure, but the grass is always greener on that side *points*.

i had thought about it for a while - from the start i wanted a street car that could do track days, and now that i'm crawling closer and closer to that goal, the thought that comes to mind for a street driven track car is "jack of all trades, but master of none". A street driven rocket will most likely never be overly competitive.. at the same time, the fact that it's being built to be a track car means you have higher maintenance costs, less comfort, less space, less of a lot of things.. it's like when you have two bosses, you go nuts, cos you don't know which one to please..

So then I thought screw it, i want a normal car for the road and then a dedicated track car.. and then I talked to wantsom and saw his side of the fence. He has a dedicated track car, but is somewhat unhappy (apologies to wantsom if i'm understating or wrongly stating anythng) because he doesn't get as much use or fun out of it as he'd like. He can't just pop in and go for a spirited drive whenever he feels like it. His stazza misses out on all the cruises we have lol.

So, moral of the story is.. start with the end in mind. start with a goal, and work your way back. why do you want the car? what do you want it to do and be good at? What sacrifices are you willing to make? The answers to these will determine whether or not you pick something that will make you happy in the long run.

And, of course, the most important thing i can think of, is test drive them all before making a decision.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

g'day guys,
all very good points. I'm not after a track car, I'm sure they are great fun but when I think of ALL the work and money for such little racing then it's kind of a silly decision for me.

My end goal is something that looks good, a cruiser (manual though) and they can make you put a smile on your dial when you plant the right foot.

I'm thinking an EVO but I've got to drive one.
Or thinking of a 5.7L SS with a supercharger.
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.