There, Their, They're - Bad Freakin Engrish

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

Ha ha ha! I just came across this thread! I would never have expected it on a site like this (how judgemental of me :oops: ). My blood pressure also starts to rise when I see some of those common errors. I've since learned to breathe and move on.

I'm happy to accept typos and the occasional spelling or grammar mistake that happens to everyone from time to time when you're posting a quick message, or cut and pasting something quickly, but I do think it's important to know the difference so that even if you occasionally slip up, most of the time you would know which is the correct word/spelling/whatever.

My other favourite pronunciation gripe is "aks" instead of "ask". :wtf: I actually flinch slightly when I hear that one.

Having said that, language is an ever evolving beastie and it will not surpirse me if, by the time I'm 100, "txt spk" has become acceptable as standard english. I am also no saint when it comes to mistakes - I am a woeful proofreader (I somehow manage to see what should be there rather than the mistake that is so I miss all my mistakes!) Heaven help my thesis markers :wtf:
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Xentro wrote: I'm not a native English speaker and suck at Dutch spelling as well so why not use a computer to fix your spelling :D
refer to what av's gal said - if you use the spell checker to learn from your mistakes, it's a fantastic tool - but if you just use it and are too lazy to be bothered to learn the correct way, what happens when you don't have spell checker handy?

It's not the usage of slang so much that's offensive.. and yeah, spelling mistakes happen to everyone.. it's just that nowadays i see these mistakes in formal writing too, and it seems as though people either don't know, don't respect and/or don't care about why the different words exist.

even txt spk would be fine, so long as the meaning is clear.

And when you peoples write a damn long sentence without any grammar or punctuation like this one and also manage to mix up you're words and yous there for all the types of theres there can be then the whole thing becomes really confusing to read and use have to squint to understand what im trying to tell you and it still givs you a headache afterwards because you have no fkn idea about what i just said then there is a problem and communication breaks down and language becomes pointless.

whew. when someone writes something like that, that really makes me cringe. we might as well be barking or meowing at each other.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

LOL...

I just like the way you guys say Aluminum... I mean, Aluminium.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

and I like the way you fellas say Aluminum.. especially considering the proper scientifc name for said metal is Aluminium :P
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

thrash wrote:and I like the way you fellas say Aluminum.. especially considering the proper scientifc name for said metal is Aluminium :P
EXACTLY!

There's NO SUCH THING as 'Aluminum'

Silly lazy Americans... :wink:
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

NachoMan wrote:
thrash wrote:and I like the way you fellas say Aluminum.. especially considering the proper scientifc name for said metal is Aluminium :P
EXACTLY!

Are you refering to North- or South-America? :D
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

fugazi wrote:
NachoMan wrote:
EXACTLY!

Are you refering to North- or South-America? :D
'Americans' generally refers to people from the U.S.A.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Komeuppance wrote:LOL...

I just like the way you guys say Aluminum... I mean, Aluminium.

-Robert
i also like how north americans spell color instead of colour, say invite instead of invitation, etc etc where will it end LOL
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Then there is tomato prounonced "to mate toe"
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

You guys are just falling into British rules!! LOL... we like to be "different" here. I didn't say better, or correct... I just said "different".

Invite is slang BTW.

I also like how you guys add an "r" to words ending in "a"... America turns in to "Americar". Also, you do vice versa with that... Car turns into "Ca".

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
Vulpes
almost postwhore

true robert

Post by Vulpes »

thats all so true robert, i should know i lived there for three and a half years and married a yank. I laugh at the way SOME americans particularly from the mid-west say " the house needs cleaned" or "the car needs washed" YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT IS YET TO BE DONE IN THE PAST TENSE !!!!! This is the thing that really gets my back up.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Komeuppance wrote:You guys are just falling into British rules!! LOL... we like to be "different" here. I didn't say better, or correct... I just said "different".

Invite is slang BTW.

I also like how you guys add an "r" to words ending in "a"... America turns in to "Americar". Also, you do vice versa with that... Car turns into "Ca".

-Robert
hahahahaha i'll agree with you here.. this used to get on my nerves.. but i got over it..

lor an oda.. WRONG.. it's law and order rofl
quest wrote:
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Hey, Australia is no different to the USA, some words are pronounced differently from state to state. I won't begin to give examples, as there are too many. The TXT language seems to be the only universal language, but I bet it will become regional as well one day, if not already.

panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

avandulls_gal wrote:Ha ha ha! I just came across this thread! I would never have expected it on a site like this (how judgemental of me :oops: ).

My other favourite pronunciation gripe is "aks" instead of "ask". :wtf: I actually flinch slightly when I hear that one.

Having said that, language is an ever evolving beastie and it will not surpirse me if, by the time I'm 100, "txt spk" has become acceptable as standard english. :
Can I aks, are your nearly 100? It would be quite a surpirse, as you seem a bit judgemental... :P
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

enthuzed wrote:Can I aks, are your nearly 100? It would be quite a surpirse, as you seem a bit judgemental... :P
:wtf: aks.... aks...... nnnyyyygggghhhhhhhhhhh :wtf:

Yes, I'm quite nearly 100. Avandull's my 32yo toy boy. LOL He'll love that if he ever finds it.
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days