Twincam Conversion Kits. Would it be worth it?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

OK this is what i can see:

- Gearbox = Bill Hincher
- Rear Thermostat = WANTSOM
- Remote thermostat housing = corolla AE82
- Front Thermostat = jayracing in the USA
- Inlet Manifold = JMF/Magnus/etc..
- Exhaust Manifold = HELP!
- Front Mounted CAS setup = HELP!
- Water Pully using starion style pump = HELP!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

water pump is easy

just get the flange the pulley bolts onto on the water pump shaft pressed off flip it over and press it back on
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

The water pump off a Nissan Pintara has the perfect profile and offset but is just a tad smaller in overall diameter than the VR4 one. The 4 mounting holes need to be redrilled to suit the Starion water pump PCD.

I have thought of getting these manufactured in aluminium to the larger VR4 diameter using the Nissan profile. Will get off my arse soon and chase this through. That said, I am running the Pintara pully on my motor and not getting cavitation issues and its revving higher for longer than a street motor would.

Motorsport Connections here in Sydney are an excellent source for alum/stainless hard line, Aeroquip style connectors and sundry other plumbing issues for fuel, water and oil lines. Very helpful staff who can read into a project and come up with what you need to do what you want. They do online and mail orders as well.

Exhaust - I'm sure if we approached Kyle at 6Boost he would be quickly able to adapt his current low mount exhaust manifold for the 4G63 to a top mount with choice of std or T3 flanges. or 4GPower in Melbourne is capable of doing these as he has the skills and equipment to help out his Austarion mates.

Meek Performance in Girraween Sydney have an extensive range of 4G63 parts to enable the conversion. They stock all the oil pumps, casings, pulleys, balancers, head componentry, pistons, rods, rings etc. You name it, they've got and prices are reasonable. Chris knows Galant/EVO stuff inside out and upside down and can cross reference parts that are compatible.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

Front mounted CAS = RVR
1995 Mercedes C180 Elegance, AMG Pack.
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Gonzo's has a jig for a RWD t3 twin-cam exhaust manifold. StarionVR4 has 2 and they look like pretty good bits of kit and can be replicated to order.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

MrBishi wrote:Gonzo's has a jig for a RWD t3 twin-cam exhaust manifold. StarionVR4 has 2 and they look like pretty good bits of kit and can be replicated to order.
pics of said manifold! and does it still let you keep heat sheilds and etc...?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Great post guys, there's a lot of collective knowledge. Will be keeping an eye on this. Should really be in the TC section for easy reference in the future.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^ Agree totally. Please mods can this be now moved to Twin cam section as a sticky. :D
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

There's better ways of setting up a thermostat than the AE82 remote housing downstream of WANTSOM's adaptor. I'm working on something at the moment, I'll post pics up when it's done. Far more compact and doesn't include any flexible hosing prior to the thermostat, ie, on the high-pressure side.

My set up is a bit different to most as I use a swirl pot, but you can do whatever you like with it downstream of the thermostat.

The main challenge is space - there isn't much of it between the back of the head and thermostat adaptor - also some intake manifolds may get in the way.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

Lummy wrote:There's better ways of setting up a thermostat than the AE82 remote housing downstream of WANTSOM's adaptor.
I Agree, i ended up getting 2 thermostat housing tops similar to this photo:

and milled a lip into one for the thermostat to sit in then bolted them together with some silicone and made a L shaped bracket to mount off where the inlet plenum bolts to the head

think it looks much tidier :)
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

water pump is easy

just get the flange the pulley bolts onto on the water pump shaft pressed off flip it over and press it back on
Good info and love hearing other peoples ways around things. However what happens when the car changes hands and needs a new water pump? Is the local mechanic going to do this?

More than likely it will result in a headache for the new owner. Would it not be better to just have a correct offset pulley?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I have the pieces to do what Ixnay has done and will do it in the not too distant future but was short on time when putting it all back as I was trying to get to a tack meeting so just went with the AE82 option at the time.

Ixnay's way is more compact in my opinion.

Will be looking forward to what you come up with Lummy.

Cheers