hho generator

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

paradox wrote:vr4gone. Thats Great, how was it plumed ?
do you have any other pictures?
It wasn't too hard to make and I simply plumbed it into the intake before the turbo. I used 5 perforated 316 stainless plates housed in a pool filter canister, used a solution of de mineralised water and potassium hydroxide, ran it at 10-15amps using a relay and that's about it.

It was a very simple device that I made a couple of years ago now but now there are much better/advanced units you can get as a kit which produce a lot more hho gas. They are quite expensive though.
Hereis a link for you. Check out the pdf you can download from http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/
Here is a much better type but much more expensive. http://www.hohcells.com/
paradox
I like starions

Post by paradox »

ok cheers,
i'm assuming there was a intercooler on the car, did you have any trouble with water forming in the tubes?
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

yeah its got a Hybrid GT FMIC. The heat generated from the process did create condensation but not enough to worry about. There would have to be a lot of condensation produced to fill up my IC and risk hydrolic lock. Without it I used to get just over 400kms to a tank at 12psi.
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Awesome to hear :) Seems there's more of this out there than is often known about.
Just told my wife about the gains in your VR4 cos she has a VR4 too, reckons that sounds like a nice gain
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

My uncle (by marriage ), is a mechanic by trade and has a home made system on his 1980 Holden Commodore .
Cost less than $50.
He gets an extra 10% better fuel economy , better on long runs.
Starion-an 80's Classic car
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

i am skeptical.

has anyone got solid data on fuel eonomy or power gains?

i personally would have thought that getting rid of the hydrogen and pumping the pure oxygen into the engine would be better.. in terms of power gains anyway.

but then given that a car engine breathes 1000's of litres of air a minute, how much o2 would this thing put out?
3 Most Important Sayings of Motor Car Racing:
1)"To Finish First, First You Must Finish" - Jackie Stewart
2)"For Speed, Add Lightness" - Colin Chapman
3)"Hondas Are Gay" - Valentino Rossi
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

crshbndct wrote:i am skeptical.

i personally would have thought that getting rid of the hydrogen and pumping the pure oxygen into the engine would be better.. in terms of power gains anyway.

but then given that a car engine breathes 1000's of litres of air a minute, how much o2 would this thing put out?
Ok, here is a video. If you check out the links and still remain skeptical than I presume your mind and eyes are deceiving you and you should give up trying to understand the concept.

http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/
http://www.hohcells.com/
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

crshbndct wrote:i am skeptical.

Haven't watched the vids posted yet, so I could be wrong, but I doubt there would be power gains - only economy. Hydrogen in itself is a fuel - google "bmw hydrogen 7" if you want to know more about what sort of research bmw has been doing on it.

as far as using the oxygen from it, that's how nitrous oxide works..

And lastly, you were probably exaggerating, but engines don't breath thousands of litres of air per minute.. doing a few calculations with the stoichometric ratio of 14.7:1, it takes 14.7 litres of air to burn one litre of petrol. Even if you had an ultra horrid fuel economy of, say, 20L/100kms, travelling at 100km/h, you would be using 20 litres of petrol in an hour, and so the engine would be inhaling 294 litres of air in the space of that hour.. in other words, just about 5 litres of air per minute.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

An engine does breathe 1000's of liters of air per minute. For example, a 1.2 litre engine at 2000 rpm at 85% volumetric efficiency uses 1020 litres per minute.

What actually changes is the density of the air, the volume is the same regardless of throttle opening.

Also air/fuel ratios are actually based on mass not volume. So a 14.7/1 air fuel ratio actually requires a mass of 14.7 units of oxygen for every 1 unit of fuel.

With regard to the hohcells website, they claim that their product can produce a maximum of 1.5 litres of gas per minute. The mass of 1 litre of hydrogen is about 0.09 grams. This doesn't seem like a lot to make a saving on fuel.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ahhh i stand corrected.. didn't think about the mass vs volume thing.

That said though, wouldn't it be 510 litres per minute? Assuming we're talking about a 4 stroke, at 2k rpm, it's breathing in for 500 of those rpm, so.. 500*1.2*85/100 = 510 right? What am i missing this time?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol