I Give Up

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

I Give Up

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ugh, stupid car

Even though I had no headlights, I thought since its daytime I'd test out the new cut air can - and it was really good. Faster response through the rev range, and it doesn't die off at 4500rpm anymore - goes right to redline.

I changed from 3rd to 2nd, and got a nice big kick in the pants! The lack of LSD also got me sideways when pulling in to heavy traffic with the new faster response :glare:

However, my steering has gone like scum's :glare: , its horrible, bump steer the works :glare:

So trying to keep my excitment alive, I pull up and pop the bonnet, so I can give it some revs and really here the new woosh sound that accomponies my now louder turbo whine.

Then, I could smell something burning, what was it? was it a cloud? was it low fog? Nooo it was my turbo smouldering oil and covering the entire neighbourhood with it! Great!

Add to that the 50 other things, this car is starting to really piss me off. I like Starions, but I think its time this one got the hell out of my house. :glare:

So gonna fix it, get WOF, sell both cars, get another thats in good condition.

Anyone in NZ want a GSR-3? Good reliable runner!! :twisted:
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ive got $0.60 sitting beside my moniter, will you consider a payment plan? :)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Oh and I spent $5000 on mine, and here is one for $3000:
MITSUBISHI
Starion, '83 GSR3, 2L, link computer, big injectors, BOV, big bore exhaust, mags, intercooler, sabre springs, metal brake pads, h/duty clutch, Nolathane bushes, orig tidy cond $3000

Asking Price NZ$3,000.00
Phone1: Kumeu (021)188-0968
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

It'd be more like $1000 AIWI - seems to be the going rate

But tempted to keep it as a parts car, since it has a rebuilt manual box, brand new driveshaft/joints, new clutch, the 215 wheels (not the pussy baby tyres some have), new leads and Iridiums, an already cut air can, brand new battery, rust free panels and doors, and little things like lamps, interior bits, brake pads (still happily locks up all 215s).

Kinda have a love/hate relationship with the thing.

Just gotta fix the Galant, and flick it for a couple of G, then use some of the Starion repair fund to buy one.
Eurotrash
I drive commando!

Post by Eurotrash »

I'll take the Link :D
I might be able to find a spare hundy around here somewhere LOL
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

don don dOOoont do it!! :(

anything can be fixed! you have a jap spec JB dont you?
Black JA
'throw me a frickin' bone here'

Post by Black JA »

i'll have it!! :D
BlAcK Ja KnIgHtRiDeR
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Euro - if mine had a Link id keep it, mine has a molested air can, thats about it. That advert was one I found within a few minutes, I found three other Starions in good condition ranging from 2000-4000$ depending on mods.

androoz - yeah its a Jap Spec GSR-III (some bits JB, some bits JA) with the redtop G63 (a guy who used to race rally starions said the factory red headed engines produced slightly more hp, but then I had to tell him it wasn't a DASH motor, so I dunno how reliable that is :? )

Im thinking of just buying a 82/83 NZ New (LSD, leather, ABS), and using that as a project (taking bits from my current Staz), because its becoming a very financially painful experience.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Perhaps once I swap the turbo (since I have a TD05 bolt on sitting here), I may see how things go, but its really starting to be a nightmare. Fix one thing, two others go wrong.

Driveshaft was buggered because UV joints seized, so fix that, only to find my gearbox has been shaken to pieces and needs a rebuild. Fix that too.
Then car decides to randomly and unpredictably burn huge amounts of oil at idle. Havent fixed that yet.
Panel/Rust - fixed, then engine dies
Have engine retuned and fixed up, only to find I have a worn crank and other nasties.
Then my headlights die, and my indicators only work when the car is moving.
Then when trying to enjoy it, the %*%* thing covers my neighbourhood (literally) in deep thick white smoke.

Plus needs new seatbelts, brake lines, rear drivers side tail lamp leaks water, bootlid seal leaks water, oil pressure guage not working, MAP sensor worked 20 mins of 12 months of ownership, fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank, and the car runs out of gas and dies, at idle my dash lights pulsate dim to bright, steering is going slack, plus little things like the wiper blades are royally munted, and the window washer sprayers are completely clogged up.

*grumble over* :flush
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

aww man i feel for u.. really do.. maybe its better if you go look for another starion and put it together with your GSR.. thats wat my uncle *intends* to do with his 3 that just sit at home..

but i know like most of us, money is tight, and the starion likes pissing us off.. just coz it knows we love it :(

ill tell u a bit more about y i sold my 93' 180sx.. maybe you'll feel a bit better that you were not the only one who thought about giving up.. coz i did.. :(

i worked at this decent paying job from november 2003 to feb 2004.. got about 4k of my own, and desperately wanted a 180.. i have always been talking about getting it with my mum.. and she agreeded to let me borrow 10k.. i found this 93 180 sitting at BMT (hielderberg, melbourne) advertised for 13k.. black, SR20DET, 5spd, pod, cat back.. looked *okay* engine wise.. body was also okay, front bar had faded paint, but was in good nic, and boot had like 7 holes from the stock spoiler and gt-wing, which had been removed..

anyway i had been searching for a while, but this turned out to be the only one in my price range.. so i offered 12.5k and "sam" from BMT who was selling it on behalf of his friend, called he up, and she said yes.

anyway i put 3k deposit on it and 1.5 weeks later :? it was mine..

anyway thats how and why i bought it.. now for why i sold it..

the car was apparently an ex-drift recently brought over from japan.. the car had the most HARSH clutch in it.. it was the STIFFEST thing and made it so hard to drive.. sam from BMT said it was a nismo 3-puk..

after having the car for about 1 week, the clutch began to make some noises.. so i decided to get it fixed.. on the 2nd week i payed 600 for a Daikin clutch.. upon picking it up it was sweet.. felt so good and drived like a dream.. anyway on my way home from the place of purchase.. my oil pump died on me.. and my engine wouldn't stay on.. it was friday the 13th, and i had to pay 80 and wait about 1hr on the side of the highway to get it back to the shop.. :(

after spending the weekend not knowing what had happened to my car, the shop called me up on monday and told me i was driving around with NO OIL PRESSURE and said they wouldnt know if i had engine damage until they pulled apart the block to check..

they called me back a few hours and said upon empting the oil, no metal shavings were found, and my engine was not damaged.. *whew* they then charged me 400 dollars for a 2nd hand pump and i got my car back..

i drove it around for the 3rd week and installed an alarm, and on the 4th week, decided i didnt want it no more.. and on the same week, it was sold for 11.9k..

so there you have it.. i payed 12.5k for my first car, had it for a month, sold it for 11.9k and lost a total of about 2k and from my whole experience..

:(

pretty long story.. but needed to get it off my chest, and also to let SpidersWeb know he wasnt alone in getting f*@#ed up with cars..

the moral to the story? i dont really know.. just bad luck? i think so
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah it is bad luck, this isn't my first problem car, its the 2nd. I actually gave my old Fairmont away in the end.

Had a few other cars that went well and were really good buys, one being my Galant VX-S, its no race car, but for what its cost me its a nice car.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

wot sort of fairmont did you have? i killed my old one trying to keep up with my mates gsr...
oz, here i come....
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Fully optioned XF Fairmont Ghia, was more of a cruiser than a racer.

3 speed auto, kinda freaky doing 130 in 2nd gear :/, and the auto changed at 3000rpm, anything over that and the 4.1 inline-six was not happy.

Had the original three tier stereo system with graphic equlisier and everything, was a neat car, lots of toys, was almost 1600kg thanks to the options. Even had the full chrome grill normally found on the LTD.

But yeah body work was on the way out, and I had really no idea what I was doing back then. I thought well it has a good engine, then that played up. When I went to change the water pump, a bolt snapped inside the block, when drilling it out something must of gone wrong - as one cylinder started inhailing water. Was able to cover 8 houses with white steam, to the point where visibility was about 1 metre max. I actually drove it, not realising for a good 5Km, then stopped at an intersection, and noticed the cloud overtaking my car :glare:

Everything started to die, I gave up and kind of attacked it with a pole, then gave it away. Man I was loopy back then, today I could of fixed it, but I guess XF Fairmonts aren't exactly a good investment anyway so no loss.