Dust Storm In Sydney Last Wednesday - pics

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Dust Storm In Sydney Last Wednesday - pics

Post by thrash »

these aren't the pics floating around in people's email.. just pics of what the dust did in front of my house.

COMPARE BEFORE WASH AND AFTER

mind you.. it's dirty again thanks to their being dust left over in the trees above.. the wind blew.. and it dropped :S I was trimming the hedges on Friday, and with every snip, there was dust
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Even locked in the garage the JD got coated in dust, though I'm lucky that the dust was a similar colour to my car :D
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

thrash your car would look awesome with a set of lowered coils..

we just hosed my gf's place in brisbane as it got dust stormed again last night..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

^ I was thinking the same thing. and when the rear tires wear out I would go to a 225/50/16 to fill the rear guards out a bit more.
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks guys

lowered coils - will eventually go coilovers, but loweing the car is a bit of a problem because both my driveway and my mum's driveway suck for lowered cars :( but i definately agree it would look better dropped an inch or two..

tyres - yeah, i was lookin that up just the other day.. currently has 215/40/16s on the rears - speedo reads about 10% too high.. e.g. when i'm doing 60 the speedo shows 65ish.. so yeah, seems like 225/50/16 or 225/45/16 is the go. the 50s will be almost the same size as stock, so will probably go those to keep the speedo accurate
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

Yeh thought they looked a bit small. Tidy looking car mate!
225/50s are on the money.

Going by my maths (possibly dubious but bear with me) changing tyres from 215/40 to 225/50 should raise your car an inch allowing you to drop it an inch onto the wheels without sacrificing any ground clearance :D

I went 225/50/16 on 7s front and 245/45/16 on 8s rear.
Fronts fill the guards a bit better than rear but lowering should hopefully sort that out.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

:drool: that is one nice JB you have there thrash.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

225/50 on a 7 inch wide rim will make the tyres look like a balloon. Thrash's car looks good with the 215 on what looks like an 8 wide rim.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

sell me your rims then you dont have to worry about tyre sizes :D
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, this thread was meant to be about what the dust storms did... but thanks for the comments fellas, much appreciated :beer

the rims.. 7" wide at front, with 205/45/16 rubber - i think this size is good for the front and will keep it at that. Rears are 8" wide, and 215/40/16 rubber.. a bit narrow, really good in the looks department, but when they do wear i will get 225/50/16, more to get the speedo accurate than anything else, as it is a daily driver. Hopefully this will not be necessary for a while as I have been babying the car :S so no burnouts or anything silly - except for theinitial testing of the lsd ;)

And as for selling them, since otomoto don't sell old wheels anymore, these things aren't easy to come by eh? I would like to upgrade to wider wheels.. i think 16x8" fronts and 16x9" rears would be perfect, so if I find something with a decent amount of dish and width, i might sell these. or i might keep them for track days or something lol

She does have some issues that need to be ironed out.. one of the headlamps refuse to go down, so i keep them up all the time, and that's annoying. I replaced the relay, but that didn't help, so i suppose it's probably a wiring issue. The biggest problem at the moment is that the gearbox makes a lot of noise. When I took it to MRC, they told me it wasn't really a problem, just an annoyance, but i still worry :S They also said the clutch master cylinder needs replacing, and that was the only real problem they could find with the car.

The rear demister thingo doesn't work - it turns on, but the lines don't heat up. And the power steering has started making some noises - lucky for me i have a complete spare power steering setup, so i will take care of that soon. The alarm system is a bit of an annoyance, and the turbo timer is a really crappy BES one - sometimes it'll shut down after 10 seconds, and sometimes it'll shut down after 5 minutes :S This would explain why the turbo was rebuilt - it shut down before i managed to get out of the car a couple if times, right after a long or hard drive. I have a blitz one ready to go in soon :D

The injection was rebuilt as well, there are no leaks, and it runs very smooth.. i'm hesitant to change this one to mpi for now :S The car is bog stock except for the turbo timer - even still has original steering wheel and gearknob
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah no need to change to mpi if u dont have dramas or arent chasing mega power. i got 13.9s from a stock computer, eci and TC06..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Your wash was amazing, even the number plates changed colour!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone wrote:yeah no need to change to mpi if u dont have dramas or arent chasing mega power. i got 13.9s from a stock computer, eci and TC06..
not chasing mega power.. but i do want SOME more power.. i think i will just iron out the issues that it has and drive it for as long as i can and only start upgrading when things start needing to get fixed.
quest wrote:
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

RiceThief wrote:225/50 on a 7 inch wide rim will make the tyres look like a balloon. Thrash's car looks good with the 215 on what looks like an 8 wide rim.
Not toooo bad.
Each to his own I suppose, I don't like tyres streched onto wide rims.
Just something about the rims sticking out past the tyres I don't like and nothing to protect the rims from nasty gutters.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Nosaki Faki wrote: Each to his own I suppose, I don't like tyres streched onto wide rims.
Just something about the rims sticking out past the tyres I don't like and nothing to protect the rims from nasty gutters.
Ditto, my sentiments exactly.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.