Got it running

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

just jump started and the noises are gone !!!!! engine sounds great. All I have to do now is remove the gearbox and find out why the clutch isnt working. i have a feeling its that bearing thingy on the end of the yoke not positioned properly. Anyway car is up on stands again and will start to pull it apart tonight. Getting closer !!!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Vulpes wrote:just jump started and the noises are gone !!!!! engine sounds great. All I have to do now is remove the gearbox and find out why the clutch isnt working. i have a feeling its that bearing thingy on the end of the yoke not positioned properly. Anyway car is up on stands again and will start to pull it apart tonight. Getting closer !!!
Hey Darryl keep at it mate Starions are not for quitters
Remember "when the going gets tough the tough get going " :beer
Cheers
Rad
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

My best ever time for in and out gearbox was just on 30 minutes. did it 4 times in a row until I finally sorted a nasty noise in first gear. Practise makes fast
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

did the gearbox push all the way by hand to the engine or did you have to tighten it in with the bolts ?
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

push in if I remember rightly
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

tighten in with bolts, 4 or 5 times. 4 or 5 different starions.
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

i think i know your clutch/gearbox problem mate. when you installed the clutch plate between the pressure plate and flywheel did you have the side of the clutch plate with the most offset facing the clutch fingers? if the cluch plate is installed around the wrong way it wont ingage/disegage.

Also the gearbox should never have to be pulled up to the block with bolts, if everything is lined up correctly it should slide up to the engine with a good shove.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Ok, thanks guys. The gearbox is in !!! :beer I took it out, took the clutch off the flywheel. The clutchplate was on the right way, I checked that it clearly says T/M side. The problem was I forced it in with the bolts and it was not on the spline. I pushed/jiggled/ jiggled and pushed then I pushed and jiggled and turned then.......you get the picture. It eventually went all the way to the engine freely and without bolts needing to pull it in. I am one happy camper :) Thanks for your input.
Can we have a starion meeting soon. I need to celebrate with some other starion idiots.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Good news, well done.

P.S - Paint pics? I need inspiration to get off my ass and paint mine.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

What a difference a week makes. It's finished !!!! runs great but havent actually had it on the road yet or timed it. Motor sounds sweet, everything is all hooked up. I just need to make a short shifter on Saturday so I can fit the new console and wire up the luminescent instruments. Should be all done by Saturday evening I hope. Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement. Will post pics over the weekend. what is the standard timing please guys.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

8 degrees I think.....
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

yep 8 degrees
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

Oh shit yeah, can't wait to see pics.

-Ash
Friends call me Ashgan or Ash... But you can call me failchanic. If there's a routine maintenance job that exists on a starion, then chances are i've failed at it.

First attempt fails include:
-Changing indicator light
-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Sweeeeeet, that everything has fallen into place!

You mentioned once to me that everything mechanical is 'nuts and bolts', hence why you do most of the work...

Your efforts and perserverence must be applauded, but there has been a degree of frustration that must surely
make you think twice whether it's worth doing it yourself, unless you're absolutely certain????

Job well done, and by this forums standard, the job has been done rather quickly! :)

PS. Check out those Chicanes for sale in buy/sell. With gold centres, it would definately finish off the car, no question!

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

:x :x :x :x :x Gearbox has to come out again.
It must be an issue with the thrust bearing and yoke not pushing on the pressure plate and therefore disengaging the clutch. Funnily enough I'm not as worried about it as I was before. I spent about three hours this afternoon making a short shifter for it and this evening I got home, dropped it off the jacks, fitted the shifter then started the car with the clutch in..................it then lurched forward as though in gear. So tomorrow its back to square three. At least its nowhere near square one.
Everything looks like it is working properly so I just cant figure it out.
Hey Mal, no there is never any question as to wether I would get a mechanic to do my work for me. there is an enormous amount of myself invested in this car, there isnt a part of it that I havent rebuilt. Inspite of the setbacks it is a wonderful journey.