JDSTAZ45 and VULPES track car

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

JDSTAZ45 and VULPES track car

Post by Vulpes »

Watch this space for update on our new venture together. I picked up his old JB today to use the engine and LSD in my JA but felt the car was just too good to end up in my rapidly expanding starion junkyard ( anyone need any parts please just ask ) so I spoke to JDSATZ and we decided to build her up as a "budget" track car. We have everything we need to put her on the road so should be a lot of fun. Next purchase is a car trailer to carry it to the track. Anyone have any tips on rollcages ? Full ? half ? what material etc ? Still using the engine and diff in my JA but we have spare everything including good engines.
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Looking forward to a bit of fun on the track! New territory for me, so it should be a great way to experience the limits of the staz.

Also, it's great that this car is still being kept alive!! Has a great shell, but needs a major tidy up! Sharing the costs makes it a bit more affordable!!

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

good shit, glad its being saved :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: JDSTAZ45 and VULPES track car

Post by cheaterparts »

Vulpes wrote:Anyone have any tips on rollcages ? Full ? half ? what material etc ?
the smart move would be to use 350 grade tube and build to CAMS spec
look up
http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen ... J_Q209.pdf

that might be some help
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Is the car going to be registered? If so you might want to check out the NSW RTA rules on the fitting of cages - I think there is a basic rule that says they cannot restrict access to the vehicle. Cages do stiffen the car up and are obviously a safety factor but not something I would necessarily start with.

IMHO - if you are planning a low cost build I would forego the cage and instead spend the money ($1500 approx for a Bonds CAMs Certified cage fitted) on a decent race seat and good quality 3" harness.

For the rest I would add in a good set of Semi slick tyres and a brake upgrade on the front and better pad materials on the rear. For the latter, take a set of standard Starion rear pads to Race Brakes here in Sydney and ask them to get them rebonded with a better compound. Also go braided lines for a firmer pedal and good quality brake fluid.

Add in a stiffer set of springs and new shocks and (maybe) bigger rollbars and I think you would have yourself a nice track day toy for not a real lot of money.

If its not going to be registered strip everything out of the interior and save yourself a couple of hundred kilos and this alone will transform the car.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

excellent info thanks wantsom, will take all your advice onboard and do the things you suggested. Appreciate your input.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I can get good quality braided brake lines from USA. Have a look at my group buy threads.

If i were to do a track car id make cooling a big importance.
Nice big radiator + efficient fan
New water pump
Large oil cooler with good airflow
Larger baffled sump
Intercooler to keep intake temps down
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Agree with cooling issue - as big a radiator as you can - I even discarded the electric fan and put a centrifugal one. Temp never moves beyond half even with 20lb boost.

Sump, good to have, maybe not so critical - but good quality oil and change every meeting

And intercooler of course

Should add also, Daryl and Mal - you're welcome to come over and suss out my car any time you want for ideas and clues. It could save you some time and money in the long run :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

In additional to what wantsom has said, you should also remove the backing plates behind the disc.

Interior wise the rear seats dont weigh that much, your biggest gains will be getting rid of the front seats. Also when removing sound deading get some dry ice, it will help alot. In the engine bay get rid of all the aircon gear as it weighs alot.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

This car has already had some weight reduction done to it by a previous owner. You better keep that mpi setup for your track car! The only thing you will need is bigger injectors. Looks like we may have a Sydney track squad soon :twisted:
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

you guys are making me want to go back and build one of the cheap widebodies I sold my friend.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

dont let us stop you LOL
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

RiceThief wrote:In additional to what wantsom has said, you should also remove the backing plates behind the disc
i thought these actually helped direct air onto the discs?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

S0LJAH wrote:
RiceThief wrote:In additional to what wantsom has said, you should also remove the backing plates behind the disc
I think they are called dust shields
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

S0LJAH wrote:
If you look at the size of the inlet to the plate its small, the outlet is the same, you will find that having the plate there will hold heat in.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five