Hyundai Genesis (The next Starion?)

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Love it.

www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Done a bit of digging and found out it is a world motor designed off the 4b11 :D http://forums.evolutionm.net/automotosp ... begin.html

Imagine a rwd 4b11 with a 6 speed in a starion :pimp
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

well maybe i wont put a dohc 63 in my widey then lol
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

4B11T

[edit] Specifications
Engine type Inline 4 cylinder DOHC 16v, Turbo MIVEC
Displacement 2.0 L (1998 cc)
Bore 86 mm
Stroke 86 mm
Compression ratio 9:1
Fuel system ECI multiple
Peak power 206 kW (280 PS) at 6500 rpm (Japanese market)
217 kW (291 PS) at 6500 rpm (US market)
177 kW (240 PS) (Lancer Ralliart)
217 kW (295 PS) at 6500 rpm (European market)
Peak torque 422 N·m (311 ft·lbf) at 3500 rpm (Japanese market)
407 N·m (300 ft·lbf) at 4400 rpm (US market)
343 N·m from 2500 to 4725 rpm (353 N·m at 3000 rpm) (Lancer Ralliart)
366 N·m at 3500 rpm (European market)

[edit] Applications

* 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
* 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (detuned)

[edit] Characteristics

Peak power and torque figures of 206 kW and 422 N·m are for Japanese market Lancer Evolution models[5] and figures of 217 kW and 407 N·m are for US market models.[6]

The 4B11T is the first engine in the Lancer Evolution series that uses a die-cast aluminium cylinder block versus the cast-iron block used in the previous turbocharged 4G63 engine that powered all previous models. The engine weight has been reduced by 12 kg (26 lb) compared to the 4G63, even with the addition of a timing chain instead of a belt and MIVEC continuous variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts (the 4G63 had MIVEC valve timing & lift switching type on the intake only). A revised turbocharger offers up to 20-percent quicker response at lower engine speeds compared to previous 4G63. The 4B11T offers a broader torque curve, producing more torque than the 4G63 at all engine speeds, helped by the engine's square bore and stroke design (both measure 86.0 mm). Redline starts at 7,000 rpm, with a fuel cutout at 7,600 rpm to protect the engine.[6]

A semi-closed deck structure, an integrated ladder frame and four-bolt main bearing caps contribute to engine strength, durability and lower NVH levels. Unlike the 4G63, the 4B11T does not use a balancer shaft. The semi-floating pistons of the 4G63 have been replaced with a fully floating pistons for the 4B11T. Aluminium is also used for the timing chain case and cylinder head cover. The engine features an electronically controlled throttle, an isometric short port aluminium intake manifold and the stainless steel exhaust manifold is positioned at the rear of the engine. The use of a direct-acting valvetrain eliminates the need of the roller rocker arm configuration previously used in the 4G63. The 4B11T features built-up hollow camshafts and its valve stem seals are integrated with the spring seats. The internal components of the 4B11T engine have been reinforced to withstand high levels of boost.[6]
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The Theta II engine in the Genesis is NOT a 4B11, while they share many characteristics they are not the same. The GEMA World Engine which the 4B11 is part of was based originally off the Hyundai Theta II.

The 4B11 wasn't built with longitudinal orientation in mind so I very much doubt it will share the same mounting points as the Thema II also.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

DG is correct it is a Hyundai Theta engine, that shares the same block as the 4b11. The the motor was designed in conjunction with Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai. Rods seem to be stronger than the evo, but uses a 2 bolt main instead of a 4 bolt setup. The engine would be more related to the ralliart lancer than the evo. Guys are already running 4b11 head studs and cams in there Genesis coupes so as far as i am concerned its good enough to a 4b11 for me.

I think this may be a viable engine swap for the starion in the next few years. :twisted:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if the block is the same, can the 2 bolt mains be thrown out and swapped with the 4b11's?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

dude the bolts go into the block...

this is 4B11 block with AMS main studs installed:

and Hyundai Theta II engine:
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

LOL

shows you how little i know about these things

i was thinking about the bolts that attach to the flywheel

so.. the block isn't exactly the same, just shares some of the basic design then eh?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah as I said above, the 4B11 (or any GEMA world engine) is NOT the same as the Theta II engine - the 4B11 is merely BASED on the Theta II and has somewhat changed in further development.

A good video showing features of the 4B11 engine here -
ImageImage
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Good to see some manufacturers going back to the RWD platform.
Weight distribution seems only average at 55:45.. Maybe best to scrounge around for another $10k and go for an RX-8, MX-5 or a 125i from some real 50:50 RWD fun!
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Stunned that they've gone with a timing chain... :o
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

"If you buy a Hyundai, invitations will dry up, your kids will refuse to speak to you, your wife will sleep with your friends and you may end up committing suicide." - Jeremy Clarkson

rofl
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

rhys millen racing has bulit 2, one for time trial racing and now since their GM contract has run out one for drift
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

well.. way back when, people thought that way about jap cars.. look where they are now..
quest wrote: