Hyundai Genesis (The next Starion?)

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Hyundai Genesis (The next Starion?)

Post by www.18u »

One of my mates owns a Hyundai Tiburon, and i always liked it but would never own it because it is front wheel drive. It appears that Hyundai have just released a new model called the Genesis to replace the Tiburon and comes in rwd with either a 2.0ltr turbo 4 or a 3.8ltr v6 :shock: I have to say, i think this is as close as we are ever going to get to seeing another model Starion. Hyundai have used most of Mitsubishi's parts bin for a long time, and i would almost be certain that this car is no exception. I really like this car and i am considering buying one if it comes too Aus. For me it would be the 2.0ltr and option up with the Brembos and track spec pack with the 19 inch wheels and premium sound :pimp

I think Hyundai might have just got it right for once :P
http://www.hyundai.com.au/HYUNDAI-GENES ... fault.aspx

A US review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-wgjIqyB8
What can be done :drool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNKDnZtf ... ure=relate
And a dyno run with some mods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UN0cvXr7g
Last edited by www.18u on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

HELL YEAHS!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

i'll have one :pimp
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

holy friggin crap !! I'd have one. I agree, I have always liked the Tiburon but would never even consider it because its a bum dragger. If this thing is RWD then it is quite simply amazing.
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

These will not be sold in Australia.. but I suspect someone may buy a license to import and compliance them. :)
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Taken from the Hyundai Aus website in the first link.
And the question for Australian motoring enthusiasts…will the Genesis find its way into the garages of Australians in the near future?

“The Genesis is a great looking car and a very exciting prospect for Hyundai. If we were to launch it in Australia it would be post 2010.” said Kevin McCann, Director Sales and Marketing, Hyundai Motor Company Australia.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I have read that due to the GFC it is unlikely to be released in RHD. If it does eventually come I suspect that they may price it outside it's 'value'. ie they may price it to compete against the 350Z.
Are you really going to be interested in paying $50K (wild guess???) for a Hyundai?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

40-45k i would, only because i don't like the new wrx or the fact that the ralliart lancer only comes with a sst box. If Hyundai doesn't bring this in they will be making a huge mistake imo. Look at the I30, it is a little more expensive than a normal Hyundai, but has sold like hot cakes ,because it was a copy of a package that normally costs twice as much as the same euro spec car.

There is no other affordable rwd turbo car on the market in Aus. The competitors are a wrx, Ralliart lancer, mazda 3 mps and a ford focus xr5. All these cars are asking 40k at a minimum, and are all 4 door cars. A 370z will be a cracker of a car, but it is out of my price range by a mile at 60k
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah these look awesome, and hyundai quality is way up there these days. i cant see them being more than 40-45 for the 2.0 version. and yes it is the evo type 4B11 mitsu motor eh?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, my secret hope is that mitsubishi will see how well this thing sells, and realise that the current racing market with youngsters is all about drift.. and so they will release another rwd turbo starion, and it will pwnage all :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

oh btw, if you guys wanna see one in the flesh, there is a green one on dispaly in the hyundai showroom on lane cove road in north ryde. The closest cross streets would be epping road and waterloo road i believe
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I heard last year that Toyota and Nissan were going to 'share' a RWD platform similar to the old Sprinter
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

groupAralliart wrote:I heard last year that Toyota and Nissan were going to 'share' a RWD platform similar to the old Sprinter
I think that was Toyota and Subaru...
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

[quote=There is no other affordable rwd turbo car on the market in Aus. The competitors are a wrx, Ralliart lancer, mazda 3 mps and a ford focus xr5. All these cars are asking 40k at a minimum, and are all 4 door cars. A 370z will be a cracker of a car, but it is out of my price range by a mile at 60k[/quote]

Agreed