Whole or in bits!?!

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Baz
[L] Plates

Whole or in bits!?!

Post by Baz »

Hi guys and gals. I know there is a "Buy/Sell" section but wanted some advise before advertising.

It breaks my heart but I'm having to get rid of my beloved JB to pay for upcoming wedding. It was a good car and we had some great times together but we must now part ways. :cry:

It is not rego'd and hasn't been for a few years as I needed to do some work on it, mainly concerned with injector problems. I have all the parts now but no time or money left to finish it!

My question is.... Would I make more money selling it as a complete car that needs a little work to get rego or strip it for it's rare, original parts?

It has a LSD and the Turbo was rebuilt only a few thousand kms after I took it off the road. It is a completely original car with no after-market parts except a turbo timer.

So, what do you think?
Baz
[L] Plates

Post by Baz »

Oh, forgot to mention, also has fiberglass front bumper and STA-10N number plate!
Baz
[L] Plates

Post by Baz »

Here are some pics.

FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Don't wreck it..... Starions are rare enough as it is! :shock:
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

nah dont wreck it, stick 3 grand on it that should sell easily for that. you would take about a year to get anywhere near that kinda $$ from wrecking it.

plus its a rare grey over silver JB, JA's are for wrecking, JB/JD are so much better they're worth preserving IMO
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

I agree dont wreck it. One more off the road is one more never to return.
I must disagree with you though redzone, personally i believe the JA is the original and therefore the purest design of the starion before they tried to Americanize it. The bonnet scoop, the b pillar vents 125 kw, the metal front spoiler in my opinion make them better. Nothing wrong with the JB and JD its just that I've always had a thing for the original JA. In saying that I have wrecked a few in my time :(
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

actually the motoring writers complained about how american the original starion was, thats why they got rid of the stripes and scoops & gigantic turbo stickers etc :P
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

G'day Baz,

This is the car I restored and whacked on those STA-10N plates in the 90's. I had the car resprayed and had the
engine rebuilt by Buckley St Autos. All up over $15K spent!!

One of the reasons I sold it was because I wanted a JD, and from memory I also had injector issues or the ECU
set up was moody. There was ONE brand new injector put in!

This is the JB numbered #219 and with the larger (JD) diff housing! I think the reason for the larger housing is because
the car was sold July '86, despite having been built in July,85!

This is one great handling Starion with the standard setup. The car is cyring out for Multipoint which would finish it off
together with a body kit. It really has a great retro feel with the wooden momo steering wheel.

What happened to the front bar and brand new bottom skirt? Do you still have them? Damaged or undamaged?

I would seriously reconsider selling it because the issues with the car are quite fixable these days where you're
biggest expense would be aftermarket ECU eg., haltech E6X and L300 manifold multipoint.

The car will one day become a classic, if not already, and you may regret selling it. The value of the car is in the 'car' complete!

:beer Mal
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Vulpes wrote:I agree dont wreck it. One more off the road is one more never to return.
I must disagree with you though redzone, personally i believe the JA is the original and therefore the purest design of the starion before they tried to Americanize it. The bonnet scoop, the b pillar vents 125 kw, the metal front spoiler in my opinion make them better. Nothing wrong with the JB and JD its just that I've always had a thing for the original JA. In saying that I have wrecked a few in my time :(
Sorry Vulpes I know we're splitting hairs here, but JA's only came out with 120kw (at the fly). The JB's had 125kw mostly care of the upgraded intake manifold. But I do agree about not wrecking it. I just dismantled a JB as it had terminal cancer throughout. Otherwise I wouldn't have, plain and simple.
It was only good for parts and that was the reason I bought it (LSD, LSD!!!).
Put one of those into a JA and it transforms the cars handling massively.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

I thought the JA had 125kw, JB also had 125kw and the JD had 110kw (due to unleaded fuel). correct me if im wrong. But it would make sense for the JB to have more power.
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Don't wreck.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I hate it when people wreck cars that can be salvaged. :cry:
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

As redzone said. $4,000 would sell it.
If you parted it out you MIGHT make an extra grand. BUT to fully part it out it could take you 2 years to wait for buyers for all the parts. AND there is a lot of stuffing around. Phone calls postage, couriers, time to strip parts off it and chasing payments.

IT AINT WORTH THE HASSLE!

Different if the car is rusted out badly or been in a decent smash then parting it out can be worth your while because you'll only get $500 to $1,000 for a car that's stuffed. Where as yours looks good.
1985 JB Starion #157
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

TomVR4 wrote:I thought the JA had 125kw, JB also had 125kw and the JD had 110kw (due to unleaded fuel). correct me if im wrong. But it would make sense for the JB to have more power.

What you've said Tom about the JD is correct. But there's some discrepancy over the JA/JB figures.

I've gone and rechecked stuff and clearly it depends on the source.
This website claims lower output figures from the JA than the JB.
http://www.turboclub.com/engines/Mitsub ... sm4g63.htm

I've also consulted my factory JA series handbook which states 125kw @ 5500rpm and 245Nm @ 3500rpm. Everything else I can find on the JB states these identical figures.

So who is right, who knows?
In any case all of them were such powerhouses from the factory.... :wink:

Guess they were in their day tho.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

In the performance books, the JA and JB were said to have more power, but that was because they were run on leaded fuel, and the JD was run on unleaded with a lower octane rating. The JD I believe had more power if ran with a better octane rating that matched that of the leaded fuel used in testing.

Also it was us who used leaded fuel for them as at the time of the starion coming out, we didn't have unleaded fuel did we? This was only hearsay for me this one.