Ever lost / misplaced your car key!!

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Ever lost / misplaced your car key!!

Post by groupAralliart »

:glare: Shit I have again and this time it was not my bloody fault:

Bolted the steering box back in and realised the steering lock was on - key wasn't in the ignition - ?

The though went through my mind that I had taken it out before it went to the panel shop last week and I had put it in my toolbox - NO.

Spent the next 4 frigging hours searching through everything I had packed away in the garage and store - NOTHING.

Got shittier and shorter with the family after emptying all and I mean all the bloody draws in the house, searching the kids cubby and sandpit at 10.00pm, trying to remember where I had put it. (I am the sort of person who knows where every thing I put away or down is and have the same spot for things like keys/wallet/remote control etc.

Hardly slept trying to remeber where It was. I had to have the car ready for the tow truck in 2 days so this was a major problem!!

Called a locksmith and decided to pull a key barrel out and bit the bullet. Also called the panel shop to see if they might have pulled the key out of the ignition for some 'stupid' reason (remeber the steering is not connected and it didn't even have the steering wheel on).

30 minutes after dropping the key barrel over to the locksmith I got a call from the panel shop - guess what your key is hanging up here! 2 minutes later the locksmith calls and tells me it is ready and $35 thanks!!

Drove over and picked the key up from the panel shop and grabed the new key from the locksmith on the way back. At least I thought I would now have a spare key even if it did cost me $35. Guess what was also on the key tag with the original key - a f......ing bloody spare key!!

Oh well at least I have them all now.

Make sure you have a spare key!!! Now!

P.S. Lets start a thread here and include a pic of your key tag - I see some good ones around the place. I will put mine up in a minute. Cheers, Steve

Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Always lose my keys. I do this about once every week (minor), and once every month (major), where I am searching for the whole day. Always where I put it last. I also left my alarm fob at a mate's house, and I ended up having to remove the whole thing and buy a new fob. I went back down there not long after and saw it sitting on a table! :(

Worse one was losing my gearknob. It just disappeared. Two years later and I take the dashboard out again and find it lodged right at the back. :(

What is that 'Goo' keyring?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Damn, that sux.

I remember I locked the keys in the car at a grocery store 5 minutes away from home. As I'm closing the door, I remember... THE KEYS!! Too late. I walk home, hoping no one breaks the window, to look for the spare. Turned over almost every drawer in the house looking for about 2 hours... no spare... for some reason my sister had it, and she was an hour away. Called the locksmith, took care of it. Free since we have roadside protection.

Same car, on my honey moon... made SURE to bring a spare, and have the wife carry it. Doesn't work so well when she leaves her purse in the car. And we were out of cell range, pretty much in a very remote region. Good thing a local worker happened to be driving by and had a CB radio.

My friend bought a Range Rover... brought it over to my place to show off and joy ride... it auto locked the doors with the engine running... LOL... good thing I have that roadside protection plan.

When I got my black starion I was giving it a full cleaning (about a year after I had it and motor swapped it/road ready), and I found a nail bent and stuck in the back license plate... I pulled it out and on the other end was the ORIGINAL key for the car. I had only gotten a cheesy copy. I guess the car was meant for me.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I only had 1 key for a while. Decided i was tempting fate and got 4 copies.
-1 hidden in the car (last resort so i can break into car and start it and drive)
-2 on key rack
-1 with family member
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

good idea
muttis3lv6
I've been here before

Post by muttis3lv6 »

Brought the Starion home, first time ever, 30 min later decide to go for a drive and keys gone.

Had to pup the door lock to get the code, went down on the bike and got the new key, get home dont work. Ring the shop and the f&^k wit had writtent eh number down wrong. Back on the bike and down to get another bloody key.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Starions
JA Street track monster
MPI with Wold3d
Frankinstine turbo
water injection and bloody big inter-cooler
6 point roll cage with 4 point harness
OMG fiberglass
Megga weight reduction weight TBC
5 stud conversion with HUGE rotors
Cute little 12 inch sub with 700 Watt amp
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Did it the other day with my Calais....keys in the ignition and locked the front door by hand and closed the back door...DOH!

Spare keys nowhere to be found....until I found them on the dash of the starion a few weeks later :shock:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I have my keys on a leash :twisted:

well.. a chain really.. i bunch my keys up into different sets - set for home, set for work, set for each car.. then i hook each set up to a lockable hook.. then get a thin chain and cut it to about a foot and a half in length, and attach a key ring on one end and a lockable hook on the other.. the lockable hook end of the chain is tied to the belt hook on my jeans above the pocket i keep my keys in, and i hook the sets i need to the key ring on the other end..

1.5 to 2 feet is normally enough length to get to the ignition and also to open doors comfortably.. and all of it doesn't form too much of a heap in your pocket if the chain is fine enough..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Still got the original key plus the original spare for my Scorp - they have a habit of disapparating from the hook, but. I put them there, go make a cuppa, come back and POOF! the bastards are gone! Prime suspect - my bloody cat!
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Easy

Post by Vulpes »

We live in a rural area. Keys never leave the ignition.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Re: Easy

Post by thrash »

Vulpes wrote:We live in a rural area. Keys never leave the ignition.
yeah.. what area do you live in? :twisted:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol