Look what i just got in the post :)

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Look what i just got in the post :)

Post by Lunacy »

Brand new GR2 front and rear struts that are no longer available anywhere :)
Big thanks to Lives4speed off Starquestclub for grabbing them for me :)
Cant wait to get these is since mine are shot :) :)
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

KYB can supply every part you need to rebuild your struts - still!
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

groupAralliart wrote:KYB can supply every part you need to rebuild your struts - still!
You mean to convert the rears to inserts? They aren't rebuildable otherwise afaik.
And i lie as ive just found the front inserts still for sale but right rear shocks are gone!!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Lunacy wrote:
groupAralliart wrote:KYB can supply every part you need to rebuild your struts - still!
You mean to convert the rears to inserts? They aren't rebuildable otherwise afaik.
And i lie as ive just found the front inserts still for sale but right rear shocks are gone!!
Rear struts can be rebuilt with inserts by cutting off the tops & treading them for a gland nut .Any good suspension workshop should be able to do it
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Threading not treading, but you are right anyway Oldie.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Yep but was quoted $350- $400 a strut to have them rebuilt here, which is more than i paid for all 4 brand new gr2s, so far as im concerned was a far better deal.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if anyone in australia is interested i convert the rear struts to insert type for $200 a pair exchange. and thats to fit early commodore front inserts, of which u can get any level of shock u want, ie cheapo's through to kyb agx, koni reds, yellows, bilsteins etc etc

lunacy those GR2's are a good shock, zaidja83 has a set in his GSR3 here in bris, ride and handling = niiiiiice
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JustPaus_88TSi
Dorifto!

Post by JustPaus_88TSi »

Redzone, we've been discussing that very thing. I wonder if you have a pic of a converted rear housing, or tell me about the tapered area at the top of the rear struts. See below.

So far, this is what we know and what has been done.

The rear inserts for 90-94ish Toyota MR2's can work with our cars, the inserts are 1.85" shorter than SQ units. So, adjustable units, like the KYB AGX's, Tokico Illumina, and Koni Reds(or Yellows, not sure which one) can be used.

No big deal for the front. Either make a 1.85" thick spacer(like the front KYB GR2 inserts have welded to the bottoms already), or cut the strut housing down 1.85" which also allows you to lower the car further since the spring perches will also be lower. Good for those with sleeve type coilovers.

For the rears. SHP rear struts use inserts, so the same deal can be done as the fronts by making a spacer or cutting the housings shorter.
The non-SHP rear struts are sealed, and the top of the housing bodies have a taper.

I'm not sure if the taper is shorter than 1.85"? Then there the thickness of the top part of the gland nuts that thread into the housing(after tapping) to consider.

What thread diameter and pitch tap do you use for the housings? And which gland nuts do you use? Something from another car maybe?
88TSI-nicely modded...
01 IS300, GTE swap, 60-1 Garrett, Tein, Volk CE28N etc...
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Have gr2 shocks myself, they have softer dampening than the stockies I reacon, rides much softer over bumps.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

JustPaus_88TSi wrote:Redzone, we've been discussing that very thing. I wonder if you have a pic of a converted rear housing, or tell me about the tapered area at the top of the rear struts. See below.

So far, this is what we know and what has been done.

The rear inserts for 90-94ish Toyota MR2's can work with our cars, the inserts are 1.85" shorter than SQ units. So, adjustable units, like the KYB AGX's, Tokico Illumina, and Koni Reds(or Yellows, not sure which one) can be used.

No big deal for the front. Either make a 1.85" thick spacer(like the front KYB GR2 inserts have welded to the bottoms already), or cut the strut housing down 1.85" which also allows you to lower the car further since the spring perches will also be lower. Good for those with sleeve type coilovers.

For the rears. SHP rear struts use inserts, so the same deal can be done as the fronts by making a spacer or cutting the housings shorter.
The non-SHP rear struts are sealed, and the top of the housing bodies have a taper.

I'm not sure if the taper is shorter than 1.85"? Then there the thickness of the top part of the gland nuts that thread into the housing(after tapping) to consider.

What thread diameter and pitch tap do you use for the housings? And which gland nuts do you use? Something from another car maybe?

I lop off the top of the starion strut below the taper, and i use the (already chopped) top threaded sections of s/h commodore strut bodies (after a bit of lathe work) and weld them to the top of the starion strut. the commodore inserts are practically the same length as the starion shocks.

so no i dont thread the original strut tube, its a bit thin for that i feel, this way makes it a lot more solid. :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Ive driven a car with a set of Redzone refurbed rear shocks. Had a good feeling ride to it.

I feel its a good combo for a street car.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

:beer

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

enthuzed wrote:Threading not treading, but you are right anyway Oldie.
Geez Enthused give me a break :shock: it's the first spelling mistake I've made . :oops:
If you were to correct everyones spelling on this site you would have 3000 ++++ posts to your name .Remember I will be checking all of your posts from now on for spelling errors LOL :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

He dead ant reed at write...

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!