The Scorpion King has gone over to The Dark Side

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

The Scorpion King has gone over to The Dark Side

Post by OLD FART »

It is with a sad heart that I have to advise you all that our beloved Barney has sold his 2.3 tc Scorpion race car and is buying a 200sx as his nxt race car :(
For a great feature spread on the Scorpion it is in ZOOM No 124 :D
Hopefully Ash you wont give us the flick as i'm sure we would hope that we can acces the info you have accumulated over the years
Cheers and best wishes :beer
Rad
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Barney
Scorpion King

Re: The Scorpion King has gone over to The Dark Side

Post by Barney »

OLD FART wrote:It is with a sad heart that I have to advise you all that our beloved Barney has sold his 2.3 tc Scorpion race car and is buying a 200sx as his nxt race car :(
For a great feature spread on the Scorpion it is in ZOOM No 124 :D
Hopefully Ash you wont give us the flick as i'm sure we would hope that we can acces the info you have accumulated over the years
Cheers and best wishes :beer
Rad
Hi Rad

Yes with regret I have sold my beloved Scorpion IPC car.

You are all most welcome to pick my brains, I still check in from time to time, or send email to ashlybarnett@iinet.net.au

The car is now located in Newcastle NSW, it will be raced in the NSW Improved Production Stave Championship.

The 200sx makes sense as parts and upgrades are easlily available

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Ash what are you doing get an EVO :o
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

mrb1 wrote:Ash what are you doing get an EVO :o
Yeah thought about it, but i really like rear wheel drive!!

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Good article, looks like you spent plenty of moolah on it, shame you got rid of it.

Can't wait to see your next project's progress......don't be a stranger.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Barney wrote:
mrb1 wrote:Ash what are you doing get an EVO :o
Yeah thought about it, but i really like rear wheel drive!!

Ash
Yes I use to like rear wheel drive but now I like 4WD better the EVO has changed my mind on that. Have you driven one, like an angry one I mean?
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I can only imagine how much fun it must be to drive such a car. I know I would also love to have one however, I have raced an old Valiant ute (not your std old valiant ute!) and have just finished enjoying a E38 Bathurst Charger and am going back to the Starion after racing them in the late 80's. The thing about the older cars and especially rear wheel drive is the rawness and driver input which makes the 'risk' so much more rewarding. Going quick is easier, much easier and the limits much higher in something like an evo as compared to the older rear wheel drive cars. In my Charger it was a buzz to push it hard - the limit was found a lot earlier than a Evo or Rex and to get to the 10/10ths limit didn't mean racing at 200+kmh. As a lot of road tests state, anyone can look like a race driver in one of these (don't get me wrong, I am not saying you guys can not drive well, it is just that it is easier, safer and controlled more so by the car controll systems than driver skill). Wish I could have a garage full of Charger, Starion, Evo and HSV, I like all good cars.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

groupAralliart wrote:As a lot of road tests state, anyone can look like a race driver in one of these (don't get me wrong, I am not saying you guys can not drive well, it is just that it is easier, safer and controlled more so by the car controll systems than driver skill).
I think this is a common misconception with these cars. The EVO6 TME only has the active rear diff (AYC) the centre diff is normal viscous and front diff is a torsen type.
I am considering removing the AYC diff and fitting a RS rear end because I think it's making me slower :)

With a 4WD car you tend not to get much attitude on the car so it may look like not much is happening but I can assure you there is. The EVO feels like a gokart compared to the Starion it's on a different level all together. This brings it's own challenges because the limits are so high.
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

[quote="mrb1The EVO feels like a gokart compared to the Starion it's on a different level all together. This brings it's own challenges because the limits are so high.[/quote]

Yes I can only imagine. Those limits are high and so would the repair bill be. I bet, at big speed things go pear shaped real quick and big time!
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I dunno that japanese group a starion looked like it drove like a gokart :)
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

airbats801 wrote:I dunno that japanese group a starion looked like it drove like a gokart :)
Yes but it's a full race car with custom suspension arms, etc, etc. I am comparing my EVO6 to my Starion with a similar level of mods. The Starion feels great to drive but the limits are way higher on the EVO6.

You would have to spend a lot of money on a Starion to go as quick as the EVO6.