paris dakar pajeros

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
gj_wagon
[P] Plater austaz

paris dakar pajeros

Post by gj_wagon »

anyone know much about these.

in particular the 2.6L NA ones that ran in the early- mid 80s

im able to get my hands on one of these motors and want to know info on them

cheers
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

if the gearbox is there id like to buy it :wink:

4wd starion :D
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

the gear box in a 2.6 pajero is weak as hell from what i gather.

Frankly, I've found zero info on the 85 pajero that won.

Fromtalkig to a lot of guys who 4x4 the swb 2.6 na engines here int ehs tates the manual transmissions are real weak and often break. They said the automatics are quite strong though. Fromt alking with them I also learednt eh cast iron gearbox of the v6 swb of the 80s was very strong, so it would be a much easier platform to work with. The group b starion had to have a beffier setup than a standrard pajero. Especially the euro evo version. I dont believe there is anyways a stock box would handle 400hp , or even 300 for very long.

I realllly wanted to build a 2.6 turbo pajero, but the only way i see feasable is going with a 4g6x narrow block engine, a r154 transmission and adapt a toyota transfer case. Then again I want a turbo setup,.

The other option is to swap the staz gears and what not into a pajero box, this should help a lot, and a 88+ usa oil pan off a widebody staz will help a bit too.

the na engines themselves are pretty unimpressive, but you can build them up pretty good.
Here is a good example of a built up na engine that a old dodge colt guy ran in the very early 80s. Made around 175hp I believe.
Here is another vehcile, which used the 2.6 setup. In 1983 mitsubishi raced a mightymax, l200? in the baja 1000
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I have heard that the 2.6 powered dakar Pajeros had a holinger gearbox in them. This could be totally wrong, but possible.
I did see a dakar 2.6 on a stand in the Mitsubishi museum in Japan, but it was a turbo motor with the same setup as MRB1's (or looked to be).
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
MainstreaM
I've been here before

Post by MainstreaM »

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

compressor wrote: 4wd starion :D

1500kg starion LOL

unless you want to pay for carbon fibre / kevlar everything under the skin :wtf:

besides, the staz handles quite well imho.. 4wd starion would understeer too much eh?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

turbo 2.6l? What kind of injection, tbi or?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I have the turbo and exhaust manifold from a 1988 factory Pajero on my widebody :)

Pictures on the TURBO page see "Special Stuff".
http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au

They used TBI, the picture below is the 1988 car.

This is what it looks like without the Kevlar body :)

These cars were built by Sonauto in France which had the contract to built the Paris Dakar cars for Mitsubishi, the 2.6 Engine was from Ralliart Japan.
Mr Ralliart
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Mr Ralliart »

As for the early Pajero box being weak , it's the same box as the Starion guys , just with a shorter housing .

The guy who does my Gearbox work around the corner was the Gearbox dude for Ralliart in Sydney the 1980's . He said they had surplus Starion boxes and used to cut and shut them to fit the Pajeros . . . . .
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

mrb1 wrote:I have the turbo and exhaust manifold from a 1988 factory Pajero on my widebody :)
mrb1 - does your turbo have a tiny 'HKS' stamped on the exhaust housing too?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

hoongirl wrote:
mrb1 wrote:I have the turbo and exhaust manifold from a 1988 factory Pajero on my widebody :)
mrb1 - does your turbo have a tiny 'HKS' stamped on the exhaust housing too?
Not that I recall.