running in motor???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

running in motor???

Post by compressor »

hi guys iv got a new full rebuilt forged 4g63 motor twincam hks cams turbo ect in my starion

what should it feel like when i drive it slugish or tough??

iv got boost set at 7 psi and rev limit set at 6300rpm for the first 500km
then ill put 10psi and 7000rpm for the next 500km is this right

when i give the pedal a push it frys the wheels physco makes good power at 7psi and only 6300rpm is this normal iv been told motor is tight and should feel a bit slugish for the first few hundred km's

but it doesn't it goes real good better than any 180sx or silvia iv driven with more or same power fully run-in whats up with this????
compressor

Post by compressor »

what would the compression be on a twincam vr4 head starion block be with a commetic tripple layer head` gasket be???? and a stainless steel oringed block its built tough for big boost
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I think 6300 rpm would be a bit too high a revs to be running in your motor wouldn't it? Wouldn't it be more like a maximum of 4000 or maybe 4500 rpm?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah man 6300 when running in is BAD news. max 4-4500 i say. u want to make sure everything has bedded in before u go putting that kind of inertia into it....

and yes it will feel livelier than SR's etc as the 63 has a long stroke..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I wouldn't go past 4k and put as little boost in as possible. Vary the revs, don't just sit on the freeway. Drive like that for 1000km. Then retorque the head and drive like you stole it.
compressor

Post by compressor »

redzone wrote:yeah man 6300 when running in is BAD news. max 4-4500 i say. u want to make sure everything has bedded in before u go putting that kind of inertia into it....

and yes it will feel livelier than SR's etc as the 63 has a long stroke..

oh ok bigger stroke hey my builder just said dont be to nasty it revs to 7200 so i thought id back it of a twinkle :shock:

just set redline to 4500rpm for say 500km lets see how it goes
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

1000 ks of around 4500rpm up and down will be fine .

dont drive it like a girl , have you ever seen any race engine being driven like its wearing nappy's............... once cmas are run in a oil has been drained pump it , if you dont the first real time you do it will not know what hit it
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
Starion EVO
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Starion EVO »

The main reason for the "run in" process is to get the piston rings to set correctly. This is for optimal sealing against the cylinder wall for maximum compression and minimal blow by.

There are many theories about how to do this best, the procedure differs a little depending on whether it is a standard engine or a race engine.

First start, run it on a high idle until the oil is warm. Then run it on different loads and rpms. Do not rev past appr 5000rpm. Also try to do some acceleration/deceleration runs. Accelerate on appr. 75% throttel through the rpm regisster, the let the engine brake the speed down.

Change oil very soon after first start, I would recommend to do this almost instantly after first testrun. The quality of oil is not that important in the first start since you are not pulling any serious power from it at the time and it will be replaced soon. Some engine builders recommend mineral oil for the run in because it makes the piston rings seat better.

The main thing is not to put to much power out of it and not little either, as someone said "dont drive it like a girl".
BMW 750 Twin turbo -88
Starion 4G63T -86
BMW 750 V12 -96
BMW 525i -91
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

to throw some heat on teh fire, I broke my engine in hard. I've heard everything, but my buddy who builds a lot of race engines said break it in like you are going to drive it. I ddi keep off the boost, but I was revving it out to 6k then hard decel and back and forth quite a bit. Rings seemed well sealed after a few hundred miles.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
compressor

Post by compressor »

airbats801 wrote:to throw some heat on teh fire, I broke my engine in hard. I've heard everything, but my buddy who builds a lot of race engines said break it in like you are going to drive it. I ddi keep off the boost, but I was revving it out to 6k then hard decel and back and forth quite a bit. Rings seemed well sealed after a few hundred miles.

i have heard of race motors been done the same way with never any hasles :wtf: i think ill go the safe way ill let it rev to 5000rpm max keep boost at 7psi its enough for the first 500km then ill drop oil move rpm at 5400 for the next 500km :wink: first big drive friday night going to give it around 400-500km twisty roads very hilly lots of on off ramping deramping
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

race engines don't get rebuilt every 200 or 300 thousand kms.. :shock:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

^^^ exactly.
when my dad was running his XU1 touring car in the seventies he used to freshen up the engine every 2 meetings. running in the engine was typically 5 "soft" laps of lakeside or surfers paradise tracks. he also used to build them loose as they wouldnt get a proper break in procedure....

seemed to work for him as he finished every race in the '77 season in 1st 2nd or 3rd......
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au