Spongy Clutch

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Spongy Clutch

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Hey guys, I am wondering if a leaky slave clutch cylinder can cause your clutch to be spongy. My clutch doesn't slip at all, and it has been spongy ever since my fluid went below the MIN mark. Yes I have bled the line and there is no air in it. The fluid stayed fine for about 8 drives, then it disappeared below the MIN mark again. From above the engine bay, I can't see it leaking anywhere near the master cylinder.

Could it be the slave cylinder, and would that explain the spongy clutch? Cheers
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

i would say it would be the slave cylinder that would make it feel spongy the piston in the slave cylinder would be worn down !!!! this would be the time to get it all rebuilt and make it good as gold XXXX
:beer
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i can get brand new ones cheaper than i can get em resleeved these days!

and yes woody i'd say thats the problem. also the clutch will be dragging etc, or it will be soon....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

ok awesome. How much dave? I need it before this weekend. I was going to rebuild it on the weekend, or maybe during the week. Thanks
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

yes dave, how much? how much for a master aswell?
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Something to bear in mind with buying a new one verses resleeving - The stainless sleeves don't suffer from the pitting that a new one will so they last longer. The pitting is caused by the fluid sitting in the bore and once it has started it doesn't last long. I've heard of people only getting 2 or 3 years out of a standard slave cylinder.

In terms of value for money, either way is okay.

So it may just be a question of what you could get in your hand quicker....
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I got my slave cylinder stainless sleeved. Dropped of lunchtime, picked up next arvo.

Doesnt take long to do, all depends how much work the place has on.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I wanna know costs. I really need to get this done before the weekend, because it isn't the best to drive with. You guys do want me to come right LOL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

$80.25 for a new one, will check what price master was tomorrow
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

ok now I am VERY confused.

I took a closer look at it all tonight, but it doesn't make sense to me. Can someone enlighten me please.

The slave cylinder looked fine. However the MASTER cylinder looked like it had been leaking from the lower part that connects to the firewall. It is dry, but I would expect that because it hasn't been driven in a few days. Also the pipe that runs from master to slave is starting to get a little hole in it. I don't think its through yet. (due to heat shield rubbing). So I put a rubber hose between it for now.

What I don't get is if the master cylinder is leaking, why is the clutch spongy? There is no air in the line? Is it just that it isn't pressing enough fluid through? Thanks.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

If youve got the money handy, Replace both the master and the slave. And if the hose is dodgy get another.

Peace of mind then as you probably dont know when they were last done.

SOHC POWER
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I could pretty much safely say that they were never done. I am basically second owner, and the car is only 100,000km old. I have done half of that myself :cry:

I really just want to understand whats going on. I know I have to fix the master cylinder, but understanding why its spongy would help me heaps. Cheers
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Mine was getting spongy, The Master was pitted so fluid would bypass the valve slightly. There was no visible leaking.

SOHC POWER
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes master cylinders can bypass fluid internally, if the cups are worn they can flip over and back inside the bore. also woody check the master for leaks INSIDE the car, where the pushrod goes into the cylinder from the pedal. u may see gooey leakage there..

WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

yeah ok thanks. I will have to have a look inside :'( I hope not. But doesn't matter, atleast I know whats wrong finally. Cheers