Problems with rough running GSR-V with DASH engine...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Problems with rough running GSR-V with DASH engine...

Post by MitsuMadness »

I've got an '85 GSR-V, with the DASH engine, imported from Japan about 2-3 years ago. It's running really rough when I first start it. Very hard to start, and only runs on a few cylinders. After a bit of a rev, the others will usually kick in. Seems like weak spark, cos making the plug gaps about 0.6mm helped a fair bit, but still not great. Especially when it's wet / cold.

I replaced all ignition parts (except transistor ignition module, cos can't find that particular unit), but still the same problem.
It also doesn't seem to have quite as much power as maybe it should, runs a slightly rough under full throttle, as though the spark is again weak.

Anyone come accross this? Maybe I do need to replace the ignition module with something else (since I can't find the same replacement anywhere!).

I also have connected up an LED to the diagnostic point on the engine management system, and it's giving some flashing codes. Problem is they don't match anything the manuals I've got say either!
It's giving a series of 2 long, a few short and some more etc etc. My manual doesn't have anything about long and short pulses, just has pulse codes of 1 - 7 pulses, seperated by a pause.

Anyone got info on that as well?

Apart from that it's a great car, and I'm enjoying it! Just a matter of ironing out the bugs!

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas! :)
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

That's a bugger you're having these gremlins... :o

Have you thought about converting your Jap manual to English?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Re: Problems with rough running GSR-V with DASH engine...

Post by kiwieurospec »

MitsuMadness wrote: It's running really rough when I first start it. Very hard to start, and only runs on a few cylinders. After a bit of a rev, the others will usually kick in.
Nice car, I've had Dash engines that do that with a blown head gasket. Can't help you with the engine codes but I think a guy here has translated the manual.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I got a whole manual somewhere thats been translated to english... not sure where, I have a DASH motor to. I'll try and dig it out and see what I can come up with for you.... and it's real thick so please don't ask for a copy :oops:
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

^^^ How'd you go about doing that?
How well does it convert? I know that some stuff doesn't translate very well....

BTW, I have the honour of my 500th post here and now... :D
How?
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

Beg, steal or borrow an Ignition Spark Tester (one of these things http://www.sulco.co.nz/Product?Action=V ... t_id=16852) and test whther you actually have weak spark or not before changing anything else.

You may be surprised and find out it's not ignition, it's always harder for an engine to start from cold then it is to keep going once started and warming up. I had a friend with similary problems and his compression was down.

:beer
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Re: Problems with rough running GSR-V with DASH engine...

Post by kiwieurospec »

kiwieurospec wrote:
MitsuMadness wrote: It's running really rough when I first start it. Very hard to start, and only runs on a few cylinders. After a bit of a rev, the others will usually kick in.
Nice car, I've had Dash engines that do that with a blown head gasket. Can't help you with the engine codes but I think a guy here has translated the manual.
Probably should add just check for that, could just be over choking on start.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Sounds like it might be generally overfuelling...
How?
spinners
I like starions

Post by spinners »

Check the coolant temp sensor (oval plug).Im having the same problem,my one runs like a bag of shit when cold.I had to disconect the steepermotor otherwise it wouldnt run at all.Once the motor is warm i disconect the coolant temp sensor and then it idles and runs fine! Its got me confused :shock:
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Hugh, be reeeeally nice to your Kiwi friends, these guys have the answers...
How?
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Awesome! Thanks guys for all the suggestions, yeh, i'll give those things a try.

1. Check cooland temp sensor (interestingly, the manual suggests this as a possible cause of starting rough)

2. Check ignition system with one of those nice testers or similar!

3. Get a manual (might've found one) and check the trouble codes (i've written down the sequence now, it's two long, four short is the first code, then two long, one very short, three short for the other code)

4. Check / replace my injectors if none of these work!

I checked some more stuff this weekend, and put ALL the plug gaps down to 0.7mm (smallest suggested in manual). Also reset the ECU completely. It's not quite so rough, and maybe just a little bit easier to start, but still hard to start. If I turn the starter for a moment, then off again, and hear the fuel pump going, then try starting it again, it seems to go better than if I just try starting it straight up.

Oh and anyone know how to check if it's over-choking?
It blows quite a cloud of black, and splatters black out the back when it first fires, which does sound very rich, but could just be cos a few cylinders aren't firing and that is getting pumped through.

But anyway, i'll try these things!
Thanks very heaps guys for the suggestions, i'll post on here how I go!

1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Hugh, I'm watching this with interest......
So far, I have no dramas with the start and idle with the Dash engine.

Keep us updated :D
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Yeh! Will be interesting to see what it ends up being!

By the way - Anyone know what spark strength the spark SHOULD be? Cos I just ordered a spark tester online. And once I get it and test it, I realise I don't really know what I'm looking for. Guess I could put it on my JB as well and compare them, although it's pretty horrible to start too haha.

redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i thought i posted already here... might be a leaky injector which is flooding it when the car's sitting. try flattening the throttle when ur first starting it, if it starts up easier when u do, its most likely the injector issue....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Can't find the manual sorry.
But on a side note on my DASH motor I disconnected my starter motor cause it was all over the show with the revs and just use the tension thingee to adjust the idle and seems to be much better.
Also sometimes when i come up to a set of lights and stop real fast it drops to 3 cylinders and idles like a rotory! :D but give it a wee bit of throttle and the 4th kicks back in fine.
Also with almost all the people I talk to with DASH motors they ALL run rich... might just be how they worked....
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion