mpi swap parts list

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
benny
I love starions

mpi swap parts list

Post by benny »

just wondering if any can post a complete list of parts for an mpi swap and can it be stickied for people to find it easy??

btw am about to undertake an mpi swap and have to stay under $2k, all work will be done by me ( as i can't afford to pay someone ) and i gotta get it done or the car will light up .. literally

wish me luck fellas :)

wolf 3d v3 +hand controller + wiring $770
bosch 910 $162.50
Vn TB $55
manifold + fuel rail $115
injectors evo3 $220
mod dizzy $80
intercooler $161
piping $180
modding manifold $100
free adjustable fuel reg $umm free :)

wiring up
tuning ( $400 quote.. we'll see )

running total $1843.50
Last edited by benny on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Do you want that 2k budget to include the aftermarket computer? You'll probably struggle unless you find someone selling a second hand setup for that - sorry just being realistic!
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

A brand new haltech E6X is about 1200$ ?
vroooom pttshhh!! :D
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

currently watching some computers for $500 - $750 ..
injectors around $250 - ??
other parts?? which is why i'm asking for a list if anyone has done a swap before

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/front%20cuts.htm
has halfcuts of 4g63 and 6a12 for $2.5k ish

also what are the chances of Bosch no. 0 280 150 788 injectors fitting inplace of the stock ones?? no need to do the swap if they fit..
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

O.K, Not an expert - others on here have done it before but parts I have accumulated/am accumulating for the job are(guessing costs beside):

-MPI intake manifold - either sonata or l300. (Sonata mani needs modification - water piping changed ends and intake shut and cut - throttle body moved to opposite ends) ($200-300 modified)
-Larger throttle body if desired ($50)
-4 x injectors($150)
-New intercooler piping made up (if going with the sonata mani).($?)
-Aftermarket computer(I'd allow at least $1000)
-Optical distributor (thinking l300 or sonata or DASH). ($30 second hand)
-Coil packs for spark ($?)
-I'd upgrade the fuel pump but may not be necessary($150)
-Dyno time to set up properly($200?)
-Bits and pieces (gaskets, fuel piping, radiator hoses, regulator etc...) ($50)

I'm kinda guessing at some of the prices but those are the majority of bits you'll need. I'm sure I've forgotten some so feel free to add/ammend!

Hope that gives you some idea! Good luck :beer
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

you can do an mpi conversion fairly cheaply, or very expensively. depends on how far you wanna take it. :)
here's my list for the cordia (have bought everything, now just have to get it put in and tuned).

sonata intake mani: $150
800cc injectors: $600
bosch 044 fuel pump:$210
sonata optical dizzy: $130
malpassi fuel reg: $180
4x bosch 715 (ford) ignition coil $310
new 3" stainless steel inlet ic piping (including all silicon hoses, clamps and filters) $280
second hand microtech LT-10s with wiring and shit:$500

so all up thats: $2,360 without it being installed and tuned. not sure how much this will cost, because the computer might have to be re-flashed to accept the optical dizzy (already has a base map from normal dizzy on there) but i already have a loom. so we'll see. :)

you could do it cheaper than this, or more expensive. for instance, im pretty sure you can use a fuel only computer to run the 4 injectors and use the standard computer to run the standard ignition system. this would be cheaper than a full fuel/ignition setup (although i did get mine cheap). you could use mild steel for the piping, and do it yourself (i used stainless, and needed to get it welded at an engineering place). you could use cheaper clamps, rubber joiners etc.

but at the same time, you could lash out and get a motec computer, custom plenum, fuel rail, throttle body etc. etc.

hope that helps
:D
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Hey Benny
If your looking for a sonata manifold and dizzy the best place locally would be the Allbrand wrecking in brendale. I picked up a sonata manifold (unmodified) and optical dizzy there for $150 total.

Larger throttle body about 50 bucks for a XF falcon one but you may want something a touch smaller.

Moding of the throttlebody location about 50 to 100 bucks.

For the water piping you can use a magna thermostat housing that goes over the fuel rail or can mod the sonata one to go through the manifold.

New cable for the throttle body or modding of the original not much but i got mine done at the mower shop in sandgate as they have a cable manufacturing shop as a secondary part of the mower shop.

VR4 450cc injectors would set you back about 60 to 150 bucks depending on how lucky you are. You will want larger if you want to get over the 200hp mark. Otherwise there are evo 3 550cc injectors available at about the $200 to $300 mark. If you want more flow than that then your looking at aftermarket. Check out the VR4 forums for some as they pop up pretty regulary there.

New injector plugs about 30 bucks from memory or just ask to get some from the wreckers with the manifold.

Can use the standard fuel pressure regulator with the upgraded injectors. Aftermarket fuel pressure regulators are a bandaid fix for poor flowing injectors and aren't really needed with proper injectors.

Computers aren't that hard to wire up yourself if you know how to solder. Just up to personal choice for choice but i prefer haltechs.

Tuning will be about $600 for a decent tune. Just avoid redcliff dyno tuners. Heard too many bad reports from people with blown up engines. Only dyno tuners i know where you have to sign a waver for any damage caused while at their workshop or on the dyno.

Piping depends on how pretty you want. Check out the metal recyclers for alloy or stainless offcuts and peice together your own setup or take the bits to someone who'll weld them together for you.

Silicone piping car vary depending on how much you really want to spend. You can get cheap ebay ones that you may be able to get away with a small amount of boost or you can get expensive ones from ARE (website www.are.com.au ). If you use the XF throttle body you may need the expensive as the cheap ones won't streach over the throttle body as it's just a fraction larger than a 3 inch pipe, enough to make it real tight.

You will need a bunch of little things aswell like fuel hose, wiring, extra sensors if the computer doesn't come with them and exhaust gas sensor.
Last edited by woops on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

There was a guy on here, don't remember the post, sure he was a NZ'er and he had the standard computer running the 4 injectors.... I remember reading about it, something about splitting the injector wires to run 4, I forget now but he said that he had had it like that for a while with no issues.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

is the wolf3d v3 good??
will it need to be "re_flashed"?

only asking as i can get one at a good price to fit my budget.
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

haven't had a wolf personally, but nearly bought a v3 a bit before i was gonna get my microtech. i have heard the v3's are pretty good.

main reason i didn't get the wolf is the closest tuner to me tunes microtech mainly. :)
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

The wolf v3 isnt too bad a computer, its abit outdated theses days with not as many load and rpm points as some entry level ecus out there these days. You dont have to reflash it like the earlier versions of the microtech, there are dip switches to change configurations. It depends on how much they want for the ecu. If you do go the wolf, i can give you a copy of my base map for you to use to start off with and that will save you on tuning costs.

Also you dont need an optical dizzy to run most aftermarket ecus (especially the wolf) so you can save money there until your budge allows to you get one. In the meantime you can use the starion one but need to lock the mechanical advance/retard.

As woops said you dont need an aftermarket fuel reg, you can use the standard one from either the sonata or l300, the only time you need an aftermarket fuel reg is when your stock one doesnt flow enough.

My preference for manifolds is the l300 as the thermo housing is in the right place, and if you want it to be forward facing you can make a new plenum in the future. That said, theres nothing wrong with using a sonata manifold.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

awesome rice thief.. i was actually going to post the question of " who runs a wolf 3d and can get a tune map to me"?? .. lol

what mods have you done that will affect the tune so i can see if i can get close as possible.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

As I said it will give you a baseline but you will need to get it tuned further, it will allow you to start it and drive it safely to your nearest tuner, or give you the ability to tune it on the street if you have the right equipment. Sgt khan will have a similar setup to you as well, so when you get closer to the time, pm me.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

what model sonata do i get the mani and dizzy from??

walbro GSL 392 or bosch 044 ??

and are these the right rx7 injectors??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=017