Catch can mod

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
djalpha
I like starions

Catch can mod

Post by djalpha »

just wondering if any one has removed the stock breathers and seperaters and fitted an aftermarket system. i have found on my staz that if i give it heaps of revs , more than normal went racing the dip stick sometimes protudes, but only on these occasions.
DJALPHA
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Dip stick popping up after a hard run means the motor has blow by, rings are worn.
Perhaps your 20 odd year old stock catch can was so full of gooey old oil that it was blocked
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Black JA
'throw me a frickin' bone here'

Post by Black JA »

:o shit....mine does that all the time....everytime i pop the bonnet the dipstick is up.... does that mean ur engine is stuffed, or is about to die? :shock:
BlAcK Ja KnIgHtRiDeR
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

What it means is you have worn piston rings,

Basically when the rings are worn, at high rpm, some of the air in the cylinders, slides down the side of the piston (as the worn rings can not seal it properly anymore).

If you keep the engine at high rpm for long periods (e.g. race, or high speeds) this air builds up and up. Of course where it is building up is in the crankcase, where your oil is.

Once the pressure in the oil gets too much, it HAS to go somewhere, and generally the closest, and easiest place to go is the nearby dipstick holder.

Once the pressure gets too much, the dipstick pops out. Sometimes it just releases pressure, sometimes it throws oil, sometimes it throws LOTS of oil - depending on how bad the blow-by is.

Naturally if air is sneaking down the side of your pistons, then you are losing compression, which means less power. If you replace your rings use aftermarket ones that are designed for zero-blowby.

Also if its going to pop the dipstick, you'll see the oil pressure guage rise and rise, then all of a sudden drop.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Oh and to finish it off, no you're engine isn't about to die, it'll probably last for ages with the worn rings. Just make sure it doesn't run out of oil.

Put a clamp on the dipstick, and keep an eye on the oil pressure guage if you're racing like a madman.

EDIT: Or it could be just that you have a crappy dipstick clip
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I wouldn't clamp the dip stick, but rather ensure that you have enough flow through your catch can to alleviate the pressure. Get bigger hoses or more crank case breathers if required. I once tied down a dipstick because it was blowing oil out. That stopped the oil, but the pressure had to go somewhere, so it blew out the rear main seal... used 20L of oil from Goulbourn to Sydney :roll:. New clutch too as the other one got oil soaked.
Black JA

Post by Black JA »

oh ok..... thanx guys... would that mean that i am only running on 3 cylinders? coz my engine seems to be working a bit harder than usual..
BlAcK Ja KnIgHtRiDeR
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

worn rings means you lose compression over all cylinders (mostly at high rpm). It will never cause a single cylinder to not fire.

If you were running on 3 cylinders you would know, trust me, its a very vial experience as the engine splutters about.
Black JA

Post by Black JA »

The thing is my car has always run wierd... and a couple of weeks ago, after given the stazz a service, i tried a few things to try and fix the very rough idling i have... so i proceeded to check a few things, pulled the leads out and one of them had no effect on the motor whatsoever once pulled out... but the lead was still giving a spark so i changed the sparkplug and it still had no effect whatsoever.... now, i'm no mechanic and this confused the shit out of me. :?
:glare:
BlAcK Ja KnIgHtRiDeR
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

that cylinder may have broken ring lands on the piston, hence blowby and no change when plug lead removed. time for a rebuild, i think.
Black JA

Post by Black JA »

:o rebuild?!?!?!?!?!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
BlAcK Ja KnIgHtRiDeR
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

sux, eh?
then agian, maybe not,
but,
$5 says it is....
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yep I agree with merlin.

If one cylinder on its own doesn't fire, and has fuel, air, and spark, motor is boned.

If you get a rebuild done, use performance rings that wont wear out, if you got some cash, some forged VR4 insides and a DOHC head wouldn't go astray either :D
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

poppingdipstick

Post by Abalistic »

Before U pull your motor to bits, have a good look at the PCV valve,
(that thing sticking out of the rockercover). if it does not vent properly, it builds up pressure in the crankcase, and pops out your dipstick.

Hope this is of help,
A.
:D :D
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

and check that lead/spark plug isn't faulty, it may just not be providing a spark.