Kone or Pod filter on a stock Starion :)

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Kone or Pod filter on a stock Starion :)

Post by Sigve_B »

Been searching around the forum gathering som info :) just noticed that some people say that u cant use a kone or pod filter on a stock starion. But i got a green filter on my JA and it works like a charm :D
vroooom pttshhh!! :D
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

You can use whatever you like...

As long as the AFM is still inside it! :D :D :D rofl
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

Yepp :) thats right just thougt i mention it :)
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

theres a kit sometimes on ebay motors USA, but is designed for different afm I think. should be adaptable.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

where did you get that and how did you bolt it on? :o
1983 JA Staz
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

got it from a friend, its a regular green filter so should be easy to get. just cut the standard air box, and cut the filter to mach and used sikaflex and glued them together.. only problem will be to clean the filter :roll:
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

cool.. i might go look for one and screw it on instead :)
1983 JA Staz
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Will only make the car perform worse though. All the air that it will get will be engine heat!

I'm currently sourcing an intact airbox for mine as the previous idiot owner thought it would be clever to cut loads of holes in mine! :x

For Sale:
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

chunkhead wrote:Will only make the car perform worse though. All the air that it will get will be engine heat!

I'm currently sourcing an intact airbox for mine as the previous idiot owner thought it would be clever to cut loads of holes in mine! :x
Don`t think so...
U cant se it on the pic, but there are a fat air pipe from the bumper delivering fresh air straight on the filter. So the filter air is cold:) And for track use the headlamp is removed and a 5" pipe is ducted from the lamp and to the filter :)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

lol chunkhead. everyone cuts holes in them.. asif you want a hugely restricted intake box like is standard. its rediculous.

and it will only get heatsoak when sitting still, i.e traffic lights... my staz in summer goes up to almost top of gauge in summer anyway.
1983 JA Staz
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

It's not as restricted as you might think for stock applications. Plus it has a nice cold air feed from under the guard. You can open up parts of the stock setup if you believe theres a restriction.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

you can rotate the air scoop behind the guard to face foward and re-drill the holes in the scoop to mount it.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Mitsubishi might be assholes when it came to giving the Starion MPI, but they are not idiots. I assure you, as Al said, the Stock box will produce better air then that coming from the engine bay!

I've been told by the man that knows and I don't argue!!! :D

For Sale:
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

alright, ill let you believe it. fact is the standard intake hole is tiny. throttle will feel more restricted once you replace it :)
1983 JA Staz
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

there is always the point that the pipe from air box to turbo can collapse in itself under load because of the restriction a cold air feed from out of the engine bay would be much better than a cut air box
the hole in the inner gaurd is pretty big if you pull the stupid plastic duct out of it