Car Probs

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Car Probs

Post by oped »

Hey guys, Last night I was driving to Maccas, and at about half way there along the highway it suddenly just wouldn't go over 2,000rpm, doesnt matter what gear... Then when I got to a set of lights to get off the highway it got worse and worse until the stage where, when i turned it on, it wouldnt stay on unless I had the accelerator pedal floored (and still then that would keep it just on 600rpm)
I then popped open the bonnet to see if maybe the vacum line on the air intake pipe came off (because that caused similar trouble for me before) and it hadn't. And the turbo was glowing red?
Does anyone know whats going on
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Take it to Flav at Zoom He is the gun trouble shooter (in his opinion :D ) in Melbourne
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Is your distributor loose? If they timing is way off it can cause those symptoms.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Does it run very rough / at all now?
If so
Sounds like perhaps the headgasket has blown out between 2 cylinders.
causing equalisation and only running on 2 of the 4 remaining ones.
Had this happen once on highway ay 110km/h car just lost speed to about 60 and could bareley hold that, car typically wont restart, runs really rough and can barely make 50km/h

If u can run a compression test.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

you would have to be doing some serious driving to get the turbo glowing red too... I believe the best way to get the turbo glowing is to keep it on boost going up a hill (to keep you at a reasonable speed but still on boost)... Were you driving normally? what boost were you running? hear any detonation (pinging)?
_

Post by Rola »

decoy wrote:you would have to be doing some serious driving to get the turbo glowing red too... I believe the best way to get the turbo glowing is to keep it on boost going up a hill (to keep you at a reasonable speed but still on boost)... Were you driving normally? what boost were you running? hear any detonation (pinging)?
I was with him when it happened in my staz, we drove from my mates place to maccas, about 3ks, not fast at all, thats the strange thing cos it was glowing like fuck and he hadnt been gunning it.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

might be a silly question, but was there enough oil? If the turbo was glowing maybe there was no oil flow through it and the oil cooler, heating it up enough to glow red. Either that or something else stopping the oil cooler working.
_

Post by Chryzla »

man... you have more issues then i do :S
1983 JA Staz
tri26t
I love starions

hhhmmm

Post by tri26t »

I had this and it was a sh-t injector giving a lean mixture
and the turbo glowed white hot for about a week, but I
still got 80 kmh at full throttle.

Cheers: Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Its got heaps of oil and water... And the thing was that i had been driving slowly; changing gears at about 2.5k rpm.

And then i stopped at a red light took off, got to about 50kms and then it just suddenly stopped accelerating and wouldnt go over 50kph.
Didnt matter what gear it was in...
Then the next lights i stopped at I couldnt get over 10kmph.
Then after I stopped the car and saw the turbo glowing red i went to start it to idle it cold and it would start only with full throttle, and at full throttle would idle at 500rpm and would die as soon as i took the pedal off the accelerator.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

turbo and manifold will glow red hot if it is running MASSIVELY lean, ie not enough fuel getting to it.. what about your fuel pump? maybe some kind of fuel blockage issue? or a shat injector as stated above.....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

redzone wrote:turbo and manifold will glow red hot if it is running MASSIVELY lean, ie not enough fuel getting to it.. what about your fuel pump? maybe some kind of fuel blockage issue? or a shat injector as stated above.....
Has n e 1 mentioned a blocked fuel filter yet ?????????????
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

whats the way to test if its the fuel pump
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Hey, does anyone know how to exactly figure out if my fuel pump is fucked? Because i went under the boot trim etc to that little compartment where the fuel pump is located and from turning the ignition on and off me and rola couldn't hear any evidence of it working.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Have you checked the voltage across the fuel pump? You can put 12V across it with it disconnected from the factory supply and the car off if you don't have access to a fuel pressure meter, you should be able to hear it going by doing this.