Another Soch VS Doch ?!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Another Soch VS Doch ?!

Post by Sigve_B »

What`s the route to go ?
I`ve just started wondering about what would be the best way to go ?
As for price i can`t se much diffrence, gonna go with custum inlet and exhaust anyway, and a ported 16V head is just as pricey as a good SOCH one atleast shipped to norway :wtf:
So what do u guys think ? cant find any good info about big powered SOCH engines but plenty 400hp DOCH ones.

And as for power i want to go past the 300 hp mark ATW. my budget is about 8000 AUS$ thats the whole engine incl turbo manifold ect. only thing i got is a block with a forged bottom end.

Any good answers out there ?? :D
vroooom pttshhh!! :D
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

The main trouble with DOHC head is the fitment. Sure the heads may cost about the same for you but the SOHC one will go straight back on where-as the DOHC on requires a bit of playing around. Need to mount the Crank Angle Sensor (usually referred to as CAS) and find a way to hook up the thermostat to the radiator.
Apparantly the CAS fouls on the firewall unless you cut a peice out or use a CAS from a certain model of car(hyundai i think?).

There are a few big power SOHC Starions. Kit 300hp, Bodeo 350hp, Davidbek 300hp and a few others.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

So the Soch is by far the easiests :) But how about power ? how much power can u flow out of the 8 Valves ? there must be a "correct" answer to it ? of course talking about a good flowed head ported big valves and so on ..
davidbek95
I've been here before

Post by davidbek95 »

$8000.00 will not go far at all, time you put good quality parts in the motor,buy a turbo thats it,don"t do it cheap way its not worth it
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

davidbek95 wrote:$8000.00 will not go far at all, time you put good quality parts in the motor,buy a turbo thats it,don"t do it cheap way its not worth it
If i can spend 8000$ when i got a forged bottom end, and don`t see some good power figures i will get really sad!
Just to calculate up the basics.
Shortblock - Done
Head - 2000$
Manifolds - 2000$
Turbo - 2000$
ECU - 1500$
Extras - 500$

Is this not realistic? if not im not gonna be building a motor, 8000$ in my mind is alot of cash! But maybe im wrong ?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

All the little things add up.

-Intercooler +Intercooler pipes
-Cost of someone to tune ECU
-Heavy Duty clutch
-Large Injectors
-Modify the exhaust to suit new turbo or possible whole new exhaust
-With 300hp u may want bigger brakes
-Fuel pump and associated fuel components
-Ignition components like coil or coils,
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

Ok. If we do a 10K budget then.
That should cover all the little things needed, what route is the way to go ? Soch or Doch ? been searching around and reading and it looks like the Doch route is the best way.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Go SOHC, cheaper & easier, use the 4G64 head & go from there. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

$10k 'might' get you 300Bhp, but I'd be doubtful on stability! For example, $1500 in your budget is set aside for ECU? If you want reliable, true power, think more like $3500+...

Like the others said, power doesn't come cheap, so don't use cheap alternative parts, especially the ECU!!! :wink:
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

from scratch you would need about 15000-20000 to build a 300 rwhp car that can be driven every day.

don't expect much change from $14000 for a complete long block with forged internals and supporting gear IE turboes, MPI, cam etc
add another 1500-3000 for an ecu, 1000 ish for an intercooler and pipes,
1500 for the fuel system, 1000 ish for a good mandrel bent exhaust.

i sat down one night and worked out what i had spent just on the engine and drivechain of my JB and i'm well over the $20000

the biggest thing i can suggest is be patient. 300 rwhp doesn't happen overnight. my car has taken me 3 years so far and its still not even close.
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

Can`t really get this, i know of people here in norway that has managed to get 293Whp out of a 2.0 Ohc Pinto (old ford block) with a 4000$ budget. And the car has been a daily driver for over a year now and still holding up. When it comes to ECU whats wrong with a cheap Mega Squirt ? know a lot of people gettin good power with these, i was thinking about the Haltech E6X.
And if i go to a engine builder i could get 400bhp engine for 15000$ with 1 year warranty. So either Aus is very expensive or there is something lost in translation :?
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

And one more thing wasen`t talking about a car was talking about a engine with the surrounding parts. Engine block, inlet, exhaust, turbo, ecu, intercooling, etc.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I think you'll find that different forums, and maybe to a lesser extent different countries, will give you very different opinions on what is possible from a particular budget. I don't know why but it's just what I've seen.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Yeah, use the Megasquirt. If you can build it yourself or get someone to do it, then it'll be fine.

Use the 4G64 Head with some Flat-top pistons for a 8.0:1 CR.

20G Turbo and the L300 Inlet manifold with some 510cc Injectors should do the trick.

3" Exhaust and a clutch to hold the power just to be sure.

Should be able to do it under $5000 easy. :wink:
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

510cc injectors will NOT make 300Bhp! Maybe 250Bhp. Just not big enough i'm afraid!
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available