Tyres for Tarmac Rally/Club Racing

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JJH
Enthusiast

Tyres for Tarmac Rally/Club Racing

Post by JJH »

Hi All,
I'm after some opinions/experiences on which is the right tyre for Tarmac Rally/Club Events for my JA.
I currently run the std 14" JA rims with soft street tyres sized 205/60 but I am moving to JB 15" rims for my race tyres.
After a bit of investigation, the choices seem to be 205/60 or 225/50; most tyre manufacturers can supply these sizes.
As most of the events I'll be doing are of the shorter variety, I'm sort of leaning towards the 225/50's but I'm a little concerned that the extra width might see the tyre up against the strut (on the front).
Suspension wise, I'm still using the std strut assemblies but will be going coil-over soon; but I can't see if this will have much impact on the tyre fouling the strut.
As the cost for this exercise is high, I'm currently eyeing off the Toyo Proxes 888 ($280-295ea) & the Bridgestone RE55 ($295-330ea), I'd like to have some confidence that what I buy is going to do the job.
Discuss...
:beer
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

225 on a JB rim is too big, U will get sidewall flex/roll, stick to 205, up here we use yoko ADVANS. U can get them down there. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: Tyres for Tarmac Rally/Club Racing

Post by cheaterparts »

JJH wrote: As most of the events I'll be doing are of the shorter variety, I'm sort of leaning towards the 225/50's but I'm a little concerned that the extra width might see the tyre up against the strut (on the front).
Suspension wise, I'm still using the std strut assemblies but will be going coil-over soon; but I can't see if this will have much impact on the tyre fouling the strut.
jeff

the coil overs will give more room for sure I made up some for my sigma that are fitted to starion struts
but more to lower the car and give some room to weight jack the car
I also shortened the legs and fitted some shorter Koni adjustable inserts that seam to work quite well

my car is in Cranbourne if you wont to run a measure over the f/e that might help you work out offsets of rims
or even slide one of your rims on and sus out clearances

I myself dont have clearance problems but I run 13 x 7 rims on the starion f/e
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

15 x ?

I use 225/50/15 on 15 x 7 my race car. Yokohama AO48R. This size tyre is OK for the 15x7 according to Yokohama.

I have raced on these R comps before:
Yokohama AO48R (225/15/50)
Yokohama AO32R (205/60/15 & 225/15/60)
Bridgestone RE55 (235/45/17)
Toyo RA1 (225/50/15)

All perform well. The AO48's loose their speed after their first cycle. They will set the fastest lap after the second or third lap.

A032's are mint and last a while. But hard to get now.

RE55's work well and are good when cold. (I had 235/45/17 so not fair comparision)

RA1's Awsome in the wet, good in the dry but has more groves then the others so you get a bit more squirm.

I have heard good reports on the 888's. And I think they would be the cheapest

All R comps will do the job. Some have different characteristics then others but all in all you will be suprised how much grip you will have.

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

STRims are 15X5.5".

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My JB rims are stamped 15 X 6.5.

I've sent out a few emails to the various suppliers; hopefully I'll get some reasonable feedback & not just a sales pitch.

Cheater, I'd love to come down and take a look at what you've done - just gotta find the time :roll:

Keep the info coming guys :D
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if theres no restrictions on running larger than standard rims, have u considered the 16X8's from otomoto? +10 offset, perfect for a starion. u will have no tyre to strut issues with 225's on JB wheels, but yes u would be better off with the 205's for less sidewall flex.....

if u run the 16X8's, go for a 205/50/16 tyre.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I'm using Dunlops. no complaints.

If using the std rim stick to the 205/60's.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I've got some rare Ralliart 16 x 7.5" Magnesium wheels that I'm not sure I'll get to use for a long time yet..... that I may consider parting with if you can persuade me. :P

Barney has summed it up really nicely though, Toyo RA1's perfect wet weather tyre, and the 888s' would be up there with the best for dry weather.

I'm not sure how hard it is to also get the Tyre weights from the manufacturers but just upon general inspection, the Toyo's look well weighted . :wink:

Just for confidence sake, the RA1's when shaved have proven to be ultra-competitive as a dry tyre, so it's safe to say the 888's should be better given they are designed specifically for dry conditions with the past research and development on the RA1's applied to the 888's. :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

Thanks for all the feedback guys :beer
205/60 15's is the way I'm going; I'll probably go with the Bridgestones as there's a motorsport dealer only 15 minutes from home.
$295 fitted & balanced for the Bridgestones & the Dunlops, so in the end it came down to location of the dealer.
Hopefully, mid June I'll have them fitted and ready to go; I'll post up some pics.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I wouldn't go 60's unless i absolutley had to!

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Hey Jeff,

This might help confirm your decision...I'm running 215/60s on JB rims, and I'm getting fouling of the front right passenger lip close to the top.

As it constantly pulls it down and I'm sick tapping it back in place, I've left it of late. Still shits me knowing its like that tho.

It only happened on the road when turning left up a steepish gutter or all the time with motorsport use.

Mind you, with the 215/65s on the standard 14s did exactly the same thing.

Btw I saw your photo at the Brake & Clutch place in John St a couple of months ago...clearly fun is being had...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Sorry not gutter, crossover.

What tyres did you end up getting?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.