OK guys...Whats the normal oil pressure in psi for a 4G63T?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

OK guys...Whats the normal oil pressure in psi for a 4G63T?

Post by Grifstar »

There has been some debate over this, mines running at about 80 psi at about the rev range you run at when cruising at 100k in 5th (no im not suggesting that oil pressure is relative to speed... its just to give you an idea of the revs, obviously it goes up when boosting and down when idling...) Anyway some people say this is too high, and some say its normal... I would really like to know for sure!!

HELP!!

Cheers
Cadi
:beer
Big Blue Mean Green
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Anybody??
Big Blue Mean Green
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

G/Day Kiwi oil preasure is governed by the following
0 condition of your motor : good ,worn ,clapped out
1 engine revs
2 oil temperature
3 grade of the oil you are useing
The stock opg is electric . (in a staz ) Do you have a mechanical gauge ??
Cheers
Rad
Last edited by OLD FART on Mon May 14, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

I have none of the original dash, I transplanted the motor into a L200 ute.. I only have a pod guage that reads in psi, where it reads from i dont really know, the sender is mounted at the front of the motor, on the exhaust side, down the bottom... not very helpful i know! :oops:
Big Blue Mean Green
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

id assume its reading from the oil filter mount/oil cooler line mount

get a reading for it when its idling at watever revs (Make a note of them) when warm

and then one at a certian driving revs when warm and the guys will be ble to help you out

i havent got my motor running yet so cant help
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

thats good mine is the same 80psi here too and my twincam is around 90psi for run-in then back it of to 80 after motor is run-in
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

thats good to know cheers!!! keep em comin!
Big Blue Mean Green
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

Still keen to know more ay!
Big Blue Mean Green
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

A good rule of thumb is 10psi of Oil pressure per 1000Rpm, so 80Psi at 7000Rpm is ok :)

What Oil are you using exactly ? Eg, Brand ? Type and Viscosity ? Cause you can lower it by trying an oil with 12% less cSt @ 100C, but same Weight and equal if not higher HTHS :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

well when im cruising at 100k its probably only at about 3000rpm and the pressure at 80psi... if your right that cant be good...
Big Blue Mean Green
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

High oil pressure is ok though, justs costs you power :)

If you can be bothered checking the 'Relief valve spring/piston' isn't jamming, then that's where I would look :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

High oil pressure will increase the chances of blowing oil seals/gaskets at the front of the engine.

Are you using a mechanical or electronic guage? You're not using the starion sender with your pod gauge? Otherwise it could be the relief valve near the oil filter like toys stated.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

no im using the sender that came with the pod guage... i will definitly check that valva again though... I took it out and had a look a little while ago and it seemed fine, but how do you tell for sure??
Big Blue Mean Green
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Grifstar wrote:no im using the sender that came with the pod guage... i will definitly check that valva again though... I took it out and had a look a little while ago and it seemed fine, but how do you tell for sure??
Are you sure you took out the "Oil Pressure Relief Valve" and not the "Oil Cooler Thermostat" ?

But, yes take it out and check that the Piston wall surface is clean. Then you should check that the Bore wall where the little Piston sits in, is also 100% clean so that the relief Valve/Piston moves freely and isn't jamming.

You will have to remove the Oil Cooler Lines, and remove that whole section which has the Oil Filter on it to check this........

You will also loose some Oil from this so make sure you re-check your Oil level afterwards.
Grifstar
Big Dorifto

Post by Grifstar »

i have to take the lot out?? last time i just checked it by removing the spring...
Big Blue Mean Green