Killed my car! Whiney whiney turbo noise?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Killed my car! Whiney whiney turbo noise?

Post by chiefbrody »

Ok, last night the car worked fine. this morning I replaced some Vac hoses, exactly as they were.

Now car isnt working and I'm flumuxed.

car drived normally, no stuttering or anything, but as soon as it reaches 0psi a whining noise starts, by the time the guage is registering around 10 its deafening. like rushing air. Suffice to say car has no extra power, its as if the turbo isnt there.

I cant find any leaks anywhere between turbo -> inlet.

I thought the boost guage took its readings from the inlet manifold? In which case, if its registering positive pressure, there must be lots of air getting there from the turbo? so how come theres no power, and whats the noise?

Just thought now- the vac lines - if they are a different size ID, would it make a difference? I dont know if they are but they are all Ive changed.

i also removed the speed control actuator and all asscociated lines, as per my thread below, but I put them back on again when it started doing this.
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

I thought maybe the wastegate was jamming open - but then I wouldnt show boost would I? and its all mechanical, just a spring itsnt it - so how could that have been affected by me messing with vacuum lines and stuff? Ahhhh Its driving me crazy I keep going to look at it but I cant see any difference to yesterdays engine :(
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

How did u replace the lines,,,
1 at a time or all at once...

If u did them one at a time then the problem shouldnt be due to the vacuum lines unless the new lines are blocked somewhere
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

I did all the vac lines ages ago and were fine, except for two - the one from the inlet to the MAP sensor that goes across the bulkhead, and the one from the bottom take off point on inlet, that goes to the EGR valve?

however, I've just put the old ones back on (they are actually bigger ID) but it drives no differently, so now my car is back to just how it was last night.

Just been out in it again and I do have some power theough, there is a slight kick on boost but I'd swear its not as much as before it started making the noise. and of course, its still whining like crazy. Mus tbe an air leak somewhere then eh? Or could it be something else (dont say dead turbo :( )
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Maybe the fan on the front of the turbo is jammed? Pull off the inlet hose between the airbox and turbo and see if the fan spins with your hands! Mine was stuffed and didn't move all the time, it was also loose... :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

yeah, present and correct, nice and shiny and spins easy.

noticed it whines after b.o.v does its work. if it was an air leak then it wouldn't continue when no pressure in the system?

so leaning toward it being the turbo?

also, thanks a lot guys, you are all top fellas, cheers
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

check if BOV is closing properly and when is should...

the vacuum hose for the BOV... which side of the throttlebody is it going to?

Check the vacuum line to see if it have any kinks in it or that it doesn't have a cable tie on it too tight which is restricting supply
1985 JB Starion #157
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Disconnect the BOV altogether and see if it still does it!?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

is it a whine or a howl? as a howling sound indicates the turbo has gone out of balance...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

TOMSUN wrote:check if BOV is closing properly and when is should...

the vacuum hose for the BOV... which side of the throttlebody is it going to?

Check the vacuum line to see if it have any kinks in it or that it doesn't have a cable tie on it too tight which is restricting supply
bov vac goes to bottom take off, way after tb. ive not moved those ones, and it seems ok.

its a whooshing whiney spinny noise :) im fairly sure its the turbo now