MPI intake manifold from Galant SOHC

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
lindahl
Newcomer

MPI intake manifold from Galant SOHC

Post by lindahl »

I it possible within reason to fit such an intakemanifold from a Galant 2l 8v ´88-´93 on the Starion 2l. Of course using bigger injectors and aftermarket ecu? If I´m going to switch the original turbocharger with another bigger mitsubishi like the super 16g or an 18g would or should I replace the exhaust manifold as well?
Do or do not - There is no try!
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Pretty sure you can use the galant manifold but as it's designed for the 2lt engine it won't have the best flow available. Best bet is to go for a Hyundai Sonata 2.4 Lt manifold from a Y1 series sonata whish is about 89 to 91 i think or the Mitsubishi L300 Manifold from the 2.4 lt engine for multipoint. The only real difference between the two manifolds it the direction of the throttle body. Sonata being towards the back of the engine so it needs to be modded to blank off the old outlet and weld a new one facing forwards. Also the sonata needs to have the thermostat housing modified or get one from a magna to reroute the radiator hosing. The L300 one can be used pretty easily if you already have an intercooler setup for the single point injection as it faces straight accross the engine and you don't have to worry about changing the radiator piping.

The L300 one is the one on the left and the sonata is on the right. The L300 one shown has the throttle body modded slightly so i could put on a larger throttlebody but many people have just used the standard throttle body.

The sonata one shows the different thermostat housing from the magna but i think a couple of other cars may have the same thermostat housing so you might be able to get it still over there.

Also for the fitting of the big 16g you don't need a new exhaust manifold but you would need to port out the standard manifold to account for the larger exhaust outlet and you need a new dump pipe made up.