Need New ECU - So many different types

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Need New ECU - So many different types

Post by oped »

Alright I have been looking around at ECU's and the most popular range looks like:

Autronic
Haltech
MoTec
MicroTech
and Wolf 3D

But I havent heard much about the Apexi Power and the G-reddy E-manage

Are they quality computers? Whats the difference between them. Because I was reading the description for the L series Microtech's and the Apexi Power and they seem similar but the Apexi Unit is of better value in my opinion ( as for the price of the microtech you get the hand controller)

Thanks
Oped
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Apexi computer is a plug in computer which i dont believe is available for the starion, while the greddy emange is suppose to be an interceptor computer.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Barney wrote:New Wolf V500 MINT!
http://wolfems.cart.net.au/details/635751.html
Tis a sick computer but also comes with a sick price...

So is the Apexi any good? will it do a good job of a new computer for my needs of multi point injection and later a much bigger turbo and other according parts?
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

I thought that in stand alone systems you replace the entire ECU (i.e. take it out and put the newly bought one in, in its place) and comes with new harness etc
But later in its description says that you DON'T replace the ECU?!?

BOTH PARAGRAPHS FROM APEXI SITE http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electr ... &pageNum=1

[Section saying that it IS standalone]
The Power FC proudly stands as A'PEXi's answer to the constraints and limitations associated with most piggy-back style fuel controllers. The Power FC is a complete, stand alone, total engine management system capable of handling virtually anything thrown in its path.

[Section saying that you DON'T replace ECU]
Power FC replaces the factory ECU and controls all vital engine parameters (Off road use only, no OBD-II). Installation is as easy as replacing the factory ECU. (Some minor rewiring is required on select vehicles). The factory engine harness does not need to be replaced and all critical accessories such as air conditioning continue to function. By using the optional FC COMMANDER, the user can adjust and modify a wide range of settings. Since there is no need to upgrade ROM chips or modify ECU's, the factory ECU can be kept by the original user.

Im not entirely familiar with all terms and concepts with after market ECU's so if someone could make sense of this for me and comment if whether I should get one would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Oped
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Even if you could get the apexi pcf for the starion it would probably be setup to run cfi. Can you still get the wolf v4 as they are well priced for the functions. Another option is there was a user who got the starion computer to run mpi, which if you used with a piggy back computer like the emanage then you can have some sort of control over fueling. I doubt it would be easy though so unless you could do it yourself paying someone the labour to do it, it would be cheaper going a full aftermarket computer.

RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

The apexi pfc is a standalone computer, how it differs is that its designed for a certain car so you can pull the old ecu and put in the pfc in its place, no need to rewiring, its fast and easy. Its also easier to program as there is a base map on the pfc. Obviously being vehicle specific you cant just buy any pfc and stick it in your car and starions being old as they are you wouldnt be able to get a pfc for it.

Aftermarket ecus on the other hand like wolf, microtech come with a wiring loom and you need to rewire the car with this loom. Most won't even come with a base map either, and you really are starting from scratch. Obviously you need some sort of aftermarket computer to run mpi as starions didnt come with it as standard.

oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Oh thats gay... so it cant be reprogrammed for a starion....
lowlancer
I like starions

Post by lowlancer »

Both Link and Microtech have mapped computers ready for Starions

Microtech=easy to install and rough tune too, as I can vouch
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

http://www.fuel-injection.com/products.htm

EMS - Stinger 4 $995 will do the job and will take a LC-1 wideband input.

Also really good support. Just give them a call.

Easy to tune...
1985 JB Starion #157
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Ok i really like the A'pexi Power units but I do understand that they only work on certain make/models ECU's.... BUT if I were to get a Silvia or 200SX or some other ECU which they do make for, and install that into the starion, would that work?
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

I second the EMS ecu's!
They are GREAT value for money and will do
everything you want them to do :)
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Yeh but the Apexi has the cool hand controller and are easy to pick up cheap
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

You would then have to use a 200sx wiring loom and sensors, it would also depend on how much variability it allows for changing of spark and fuel systems which would be completly different to those on a 200sx. Sounds like way too much trouble to me. The best person to decide what ECU you should get is the person that will be doing the tuning, there's no point in buying an ECU they've never used or don't like. If your going to be doing all your own tuning then a Megasqurit is worth thinking about, you can't get cheaper than that.
I've never really seen the point in having a hand controller, they can't display much information and take a long time to change parameters, laptops let you see every running parameter in gauge or graph form in real time and let you very quickly change an entire map.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Forget the Power FC of your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are designed for particlar cars and not the Staz!!
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine