TWIN CHARGING

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

TWIN CHARGING

Post by oped »

Ive heard about twin charging here and there... Like why not supercharge and turbocharge?
Does anyone know what is involved and what needs to be bought?
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

The problem with twincharging is you need to figure out a way to bypass the supercharger or the turbocharger depending on the RPM/load and have a somewhat smooth transition between the two which would require trying several combonations of super/turbocharger until you find a good match. It's a lot of expensive custom fabrication work to gain some bottom end power which can be had in much easier and cheaper ways, like a shot of nitrous to spool the turbo.
lowlancer
I like starions

Post by lowlancer »

Or extra valves :D

I remember the Nissan Super turbo March

Google that, it was twin charged
ROCKETMAN
Big Dorifto

Post by ROCKETMAN »

Also HKS before sold a twin charge kit for the 4ag
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Im reading a Zoom mag at the mo. Its got a twin charged S15 in it. The guys put the supercharger on the inlet manifold and the turbo blows though it. No valves, no tricky pipe work.
Works realy well by the sound of it.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

VW have just released a 1400cc twin charged golf,
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ ... 1496.shtml
AB

Post by AB »

That vw is pretty impressive, it runs 2.5 bar (36 psi) of boost from 1500rpm :shock:
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

AB wrote:That vw is pretty impressive, it runs 2.5 bar (36 psi) of boost from 1500rpm :shock:
All it takes is MONEY ! :pimp :beer

A world wide known Supercharger Company "Whipple Industries" ( www.whipplesuperchargers.com ) is about 10 minute drive for me here and I have been there a few times picking their brains about it. And they simply said...

- " We'll provide you with any Supercharger you need but it will be up to you to supply a bracket, piping and belt system... "

They followed up on with...
- " If the market was bigger for the Starion we would consider engineering a KIT for that application "

So there you have it.
And BTW... also HKS wad a Twin Charger KIT for the US made Toyota MR2 Supercharged. HKS added a Turbo. SWEET ride after the added Turbo !

Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
nzgsr

Post by nzgsr »

have a look at this twin charged 20valve 4age seems well done cant see the turbo or sc once engine is in the car some easy to understand diagrams to
http://come.to/twincharger
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

this is one of the finer twincharge examples I can recall.
http://www.mr2supercharger.com/KenTokow ... arger.html

I have a major magazine from several years back that featured it with the old owner. What blew the editors mind was how hard the car pinned him in the seat from pratically anywhere in the rev range. It wasn't built around high peak hp, but a mid 11sec is still decent street car performance.
Had none of the usual supercharger torque dropoff, that the turbo was added to cure, except tremendously enhanced.

My ae86/gze rolla may eventually wind up twincharged, just for the novelty of it. Its worth the effort since I plan on keeeping it for a long time. Probably sneak the 1.8L block and a bigger SC too.
I don't particularly care for the layout and cramped mr2 engine bay ....and worse working on them. Spend all that effort and can't 'show it off'