Rough Running Staz

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Rough Running Staz

Post by oped »

Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone here would know why my starion is running rough...
When cruising along at 2-3 grand revs, if at a sustained speed it jolts forwards and backwards every now and then, and makes little backfires when it happens sometimes as if the car is hiccuping...
It also idles real low sometimes at about 500rpm...
But if i have it at full throttle its fine, even when going through low rpm..

I have just a few days ago changed the oil, changed the oil filter, changed the spark plugs, and changed the water in the radiator. And I put the high octane fuel in it.

Thanks
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Sounds like a dizzy or map sensor problem. Have you had a look at either of these?
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Not yet but I will today... What and where is the map sensor? And what do i look for when checking them. I was also thinking it may be the timing, because someone told me it was misfiring. Am I able to change the timing my self or is that a mechanics job. Thanks guys
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Post by FlawlessVictory »

Check the air flow meter, if it doesnt come with one, its probably as mention3d, the map sensor.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

If the engine was running fine before, check the rubber hose between the manifold and the map sensor, it may have torn as this side gets hot and tends to dry the rubber out.

Happened to me a few times and the car just does'nt want to drive properly.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Where is the map sensor!?
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Under the bonnet on the driver's side above the brake master cylinder.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I don't understand!? You're having heaps of problems with an engine that is allegedly 100kms old! Why won't you bring it back to whoever built it? Who did build it? :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Because your diagnosis is incorrect and, He's in Melbourne...the engine was built in sydney......... and i have looked over it. For the 20th time........it is not the engine.

Had a crack in the air filter/turbo pipe. Now its a weapon.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

I was with oped last night when the car was fixed, it was the tube which goes from the air box to the turbo, oped had taken that tube off a previous time and the very end of it snapped off.

There was a small hole around where the turbo pipe and the turbo connected and as a result it apears that the map sensor was recieving bad information because the turbo was sucking a bit of air in from the engine bay which the sensors in the air box didnt pick up.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Thanks for everyones help, and as you read above Flav the Man fixed the problem.

And now it is a weapon... a powerful weapon of that... killed 3 children with it today without even trying :twisted:
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

mass destruction saddam......