clutch pedal dropping and "getting stuck"

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
benny
I love starions

clutch pedal dropping and "getting stuck"

Post by benny »

tonights drive in the staz revealed a gremlin ...

my clutch pedal height will drop or get stuck after a gear change and sometimes "pop" back to normal height

there is no slip function remains the same just the height of the pedal will change seemingly for no reason.

does anyone know what has caused this?
and cause i really like the low position it gets into can i set it to that for normal driving ( every cloud has silver lining.. lol )
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Sounds like one of the cylinders. I wouls say the master cylinder
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

there is also a rattle when i downshift, back off, clutch engages with a rattle that keeps going til i put power back ,stop or depress clutch again
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

I had this problem with my silver beast - I reconditioned the master and slave cylinders, and it appeared to go away. It re-appeared during the drive the vehicle inspection guy took it on when I was getting it registered :glare: .

New clutch, pressure plate & release bearing fixed it. Having said that, when I took the gearbox off, I thoight the way the release fork was previously installed was a bit dodgy, but I replaced the clutch anyway (didn't want to do it twice!).
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a worn pin where the clutch pedal lever attaches to the master cylinder. Stick your head under and check the operation with your hand.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

really could be any of the above probs, i'd start by first having a visual inspection of the cylinders for external leaks, (ie pull the slave cyl boot back and see if fluid runs out, look on firewall inside and out for fluid running out of the master), obviously if they'rer leaking then they'll need to be redone, then try bleeding the system out if they're ok. if that doesnt fix it then u must have a mechanical problem like the clevis pin or clutch itself..

ps i can look after u if u need clutch bits and pieces, i have found some good deals on clutch kits recently!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

redozone you might have to brace yourself when i come up to you shop :wink:
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

well i drive the car today and all is good .. pedal low but all works good

tonight i go to get dinner pedal goes to the floor and stays there.. no clutch at all :cry:
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

pedal to floor and staying there sounds exactly the same as the problem that I had a while ago. It was fixed by replacing the slave and master cylinders and has been fine since.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

I had the exact same problem aswell.
Ended up being the pedal box itself had snapped in half at the back of the master cylinder.

Just removed the pedal box, welded it up and it's still going, have never had the problem since.
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

the crazy thing is i liked it at half height... after i fix the problem can i "adjust" the height to half way and still have a fully functioning clutch??
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

You can adjust height of the clutch pedal, but I doubt you will get it to sit halfway down.

You also need to be care of over adjustment, this will cause the clutch to not fully engage.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

checked the fluid?
1983 JA Staz
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Post by FlawlessVictory »

It sounds as if the clutch fork is extended to greatly, its extending to much and getting stuck within the shaft than releasing.
skip
Registered Bitch

Post by skip »

I had the same issue many moons back and couldn't suss the problem out...neither could the gf's brother (who's a wizz with this stuff).

Pedal box eh? Might look into it.

I'm looking at replacing both cylinders and clutch probably while I'm at it. Any recommendations for which parts to get? There was that bloke on ebay selling the ceramic 4 puck (I think) clutches for around $350....worthwhile or not? Knowing how much my mechanic charges for standard parts, I think this would be a better deal if they're any good.