Balance Shaft elimination kit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Balance Shaft elimination kit

Post by Lunacy »

Right ive searched and couldnt find wat im after. Has anyone found a place that sells this kit, and a price on it?
Cheers
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

There isnt an off the shelf kit for the starion 4g63. But there is a way to do it for free.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

do tell.. and also what's the gain from doing it??
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/balanceshaft.html

This is the site, there are hp gains from removing them at the expensive of nvh.

lowlancer
I like starions

Post by lowlancer »

RiceThief wrote:There isnt an off the shelf kit for the starion 4g63. But there is a way to do it for free.
I'm pretty sure there is. A couple of places out of the states do them, rather expensive though.
I was investigating this a few months back for my motor, turns out they were already removed
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Its an easy as job if you've got the motor apart.

1) Remove left-hand balance shaft and put a 35mm cup frost plug in the front timing cover where it used to stick out.

2) Tap the front bearing out of the block, rotate it 90deg and tap it back in. This seals off the oil supply that used to go to the left-hand balance shaft, so you'll still have oil-pressure in the motor.

3) Remove the balance shaft belt tensioner and put a bolt in where it used to be. Make sure the bolt isn't so long it bottoms out.

That takes car of the left-hand one, now for the right hand one. The right hand one is geared off the oil-pump, and there is some debate about the best method of removing it. Quite a few people I've spoken to say you need to leave the whole balance shaft in, as it supports the oil pump gear. You have the lobes machined off it and have it balanced so it effectively does nothing, and run it just as usual.

Personally, i went a different method, I'd done it on one motor before and not struck any problems, so i think its alright, I'm not an expert by any means though.

1) Remove the balance shaft from the oil pump, its es easy as putting it in a vice and undoing the nut on the front of the oil-pump gear.

2) Cut the balance shaft with whatever tool you have handy, leave it long enough so about 20mm will protrude past the back of the oil-pump. Thats quite important, as you'll need to put that 20mm in a vice to you can torque up the nut on the front of the oil pump again.

3) Get the cut end of the balance shaft cleaned up in a lathe, so its nice and flat and balanced, you'll notice the balance shaft is actually hollow. The oil flows through it to supply the rear bearing. This brings us to step 4.

4) tap the hole in the end of the cut balance shaft, and insert a bolt, or a grub screw, with some master pipe sealant or similar. This will block the oil passageway, so you'll still have oil pressure in the motor.

Reassemble the oil pump, and Bob's yer uncle, you'll have a motor that vibrates more, but you'll never have to worry about running a balance shaft bearing again, or tensioning that belt properly so it doesn't whine.

I'd put up some pics i have of the entire process, but some bugger has pinched the vid-card out of my other rig, so i cant access them at the moment.. alas.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Cheers Zac that explains it pretty well as im gonna be doing my new engine build myself :shock: haha. Think i can manage all that since iv got access to all manner of machining tools at work :D
tri26t
I love starions

three engines no drama`s

Post by tri26t »

Yep thats how we do it up this way too.
with afew veriants,
1) The Left shaft (looking at the motor from the front)
cut the belt to it and leave it (DONE)
2) The oil pump shaft same as last discribed by ProZac
(DONE AND DONE)

Cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

lowlancer- the kits you are talking about are for the twin cam engine, the plug for it is too big for starion engine. If you look at the link I posted, there are pictures which refer to how prozac described to remove the balance shafts.

www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I bought a genuine mitsubishi kit with a blanking plate and a dummy shaft for th oil pump.I am overseas at the moment but i kept the bags they came in for the part numbers.I used this with the vr4 timing cover though and from memory the shaft sizes are bigger so it won't fit you timing gear on the balance shaft.You will also need to block off the oil feed as described above.I also have a spare shortened starion oil pump shaft which i cut off a plugged as described above if someone wants it.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Please note the engine is upside down in these pics. This is the left-hand balanceshaft. You can see the oil supply hole in the first pic, i've already tapped the bearing out. In the second pic you see the orientation of the bearing when you tap it back in to seal the oil supply off.

3rd pic shows the back of my timing cover, you can see my oil-pump and there the balance shaft used to be and now has a grub screw in it. I didnt leave enough meat lef ton the balance shaft to hold it in a vice... Torquing up the bolt on the front of the oil pump pully was a bitch! ;).
chrisk
Newcomer

Post by chrisk »

the ones from the states are not for a doch motor there for the 2.6 motor. the only doch heads that fit our car are the hks heads and there are only like 8 of those heads in the us, hks produced the doch heads for the 2.6 motor
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

chrisk wrote:the ones from the states are not for a doch motor there for the 2.6 motor. the only doch heads that fit our car are the hks heads and there are only like 8 of those heads in the us, hks produced the doch heads for the 2.6 motor
The dohc ones im talking about are the 4g63 ones, since we use the sohc version of the 4g63 in the starions over here.

oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Hey guys, would anyone help me do this for money and beer (im not too experienced in mechanics) :beer
On a weekend would be great. Let me know if you're in Victoria and up for it :D
Thanks
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

This may help a bit :wink:

Box (Obviously) Cost about $30.

Parts. Frost plug was not included (35mm needed from memory)

Please note this is a DOHC oil pump! Should be the same as SOHC though.

Silas