Pressure Sensor Wire

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
arnstar
Lil' Dorifto

Pressure Sensor Wire

Post by arnstar »

I have recently serviced my car and when I was replacing my oil filter I have noticed that terminal connected at the bottom of the oil pressure sensor. Should there be a wire that connects to this? How does the factory guage read oil pressure from this?
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Yes, and from what I can work out, it should be a yellow wire. Correct me if i'm wrong :)
arnstar
Lil' Dorifto

Oil Pressure Sensor Wire.

Post by arnstar »

Thanks for your reply. I thought that might be the case. This yellow wire, does it originate from the alternator loom "long single yellow wire"?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

My oil pressure wire is green. Early JA. Yes it feeds into the alternator loom.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I got a question about this too... my oil pressure gauge doesnt show anything, the wire is connected but there is a resistor inline. Is there any reason this resistor should be there? does the starion gauge work ok with the vr4 pressure sender? I havent tried connecting it without the resistor there yet.

Steve.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

2 staz here have yellow wire from alternator loom.
the resistor may have been some attempt to calibrate a non standard sensor to a staz gauge. not factory (JA).
dunno about the vr4 sensor, but mitsi do love to keep using the same bits across models.
question: do any magnas or hyundais have oil pressure gauges?

oh, and cookie your wire is probably green cause too much rad fluid has leaked over it, hehe.
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

Hey paradoxx , The oil sensor is an anolgue type sensor , not a switch. I recently had to replace mine because of a leak , the only problem is I could not get a pressure sensor in a hurry , so I opted for a switch from a sigma. If the same has been done to your staz , that would explain the pressure guage not working , however , with the ignition on and engine off , the guage should read full. The pressure sensors are identical to those off ELITE TM-TN magnas (must be elite) , or any astron powered pajero. As for that resistor , remove it once you have got the right sensor. The best way to tell if u have a switch or sensor (when fishing through the wreckers) is the switch is small (10c piece sized) and the analogue sensor is about the size of a golf ball (a bit bigger).

Good luck !!! :beer
Cordzboy
I like starions

Post by Cordzboy »

As said above, vr4's have switches, not the sensor to drive a gauge. Pick up a starion sensor (or cordia), take out the resistor and the gauge should be back.

Adrian
Cordia, powered by EVO...
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

cool, thanx guys
i take it the switch is used to drive a warning lamp and the analogue sensor is used to drive the gauge then.

Steve.
Cordzboy
I like starions

Post by Cordzboy »

Yep, that's it exactly.
Cordia, powered by EVO...