boost controllers...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
gillysparks
[P] Plater austaz

boost controllers...

Post by gillysparks »

electronic boost controllers,any good?
i was looking at a turbo smart one at autobarn,are they a worth while investment????
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Yes. They prevent boost spiking much more effectively than the normal bleed valve...
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

turbosmart is good :D
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
grothie1978
I love starions

Post by grothie1978 »

speaking of boost controllers
mine didnt come with any paperwork or instructions
where does the bit highlighted goto? boodt gauge or just plumbed up like it is?

--Many Thanks--
REPREZENTIN'
http://www.freeyabb.com/forums/unstable.html <---REGISTER HERE
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

I would take a guess and say that its were the bled off air should come out, having it blocked with a screw like that should probably stop it from bleeding air, hence meaning it won't work with that port blocked?
Again just a guess.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

heaps better

Post by 13secJA »

Yes the turbo smart electronic boost controllers are very good. The biggest benefit they provide is that they hold the boost signal back until it reaches the set boost pressure, and then it sends the signal to the waste gate actuator.

With a manual boost controller the waste gate starts to creep open as soon as the turbo starts to boost up and continually opens as boost rises. Electronic stays shut till the set pressure then opens instantly this reduction of wasted pressure allows the turbo to spool up much quicker.

Sorry to sound like a sales pitch but I can do you a much better price than auto barn. Just pm me for prices on any performance parts.
El-Jayz Speed Shop sells a great selection engine internals, Turbo Chargers, Waste-Gates, Intercoolers, Manifolds, Blow-Off Valves, Boost Controllers, Fuel pumps, Injectors, Pipe Work, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolt Clamps, Gaskets etc.
grothie1978
I love starions

Post by grothie1978 »

oh ok, so i shouldnt have that plumbed off? my mate did it and he 'SEEMS' to know what he's on about :wtf:
--Many Thanks--
REPREZENTIN'
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

guys
I am sure you have heard of the "spring and ball check valve" boost controllers. Thes eare manual controllers that are NOT BLEED type. These use the same principle as electronic units but use a spring and ball to keep boost IN until it reaches the pre-set psi YOU set. As soon as the desired psi is reached the spring and ball opens the valve and lets presure by to activate the wastegate.

Again these are NOT bleed type and they cost ALOT less than electronic units.
But PLEASE stay away from most on E-Bay ONLY one or two of them are worth the money.

This one is a BLEED type (note the third port)

This is an example of the spring and ball controller, this is one of the better known and first ones to be made and still available from mild to wild with ceramic balls for 1/2 pound increments. This one is the base model.

This one is the PRO verssion of the above it comes with TWO springs a soft and hard spring and Ceramic Ball for fast responce over the Stainless ball in the original valve above.

Here are some of the CHEAP E-bay immitation of the above, PLEASE Stay away from these USD$10.00 units they can and WILL ruin your motor with boost spikes, lost knobs due to vibration, ect. Just STAY AWAY!

I am sure you guys have these spring and ball controllers there in Oz right ? If not I can see if we can get a Group Buy done and get them for less.

Cheers
Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

What starion_turbo said, you need to remove the bolt so the boost controller can bleed the boost to the wastegate.

As for the spring and ball check valve you can get them on ebay, its the turbotech or something like that. The spring and ball check valve is also called a pressure relief valve.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
grothie1978
I love starions

Post by grothie1978 »

so thats it
just take the bolt off or take the whole hose and bolt off and she should be sweet?
--Many Thanks--
REPREZENTIN'
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Take the hose and bolt off.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

I believe the 3rd port (which you have blocked) is designed to you cam plumb the bled air back into the air intake (accordian hose) thereby keepingit sealed.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
grothie1978
I love starions

Post by grothie1978 »

excellent
one way to find out
thanks heaps for all the help people
--Many Thanks--
REPREZENTIN'
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

This works for me. It is inserted in the wastegate signal line and is a simple pressure regulator valve.
Set it for whatever pressure you want, as long as it is above standard boost pressure

mrcordial
I like starions more

Post by mrcordial »

Hey guys. We have tried turbosmart, GFB, and jaycar IEBC (elec) and turbotech ones on both mine and a mates cordia. No offence to turbosmart of gfb but they were plain shit to us, the jaycar one was very very good, but the ammount of time it takes to install and finding a solinoid that works well with it, and tuning it takes a while and a bit too much stuffing around. The turbotec ones that are cheap as chips $32 delivered i think mine was, work very well, bring boost on quicker and goes str8 to the desired boost and dont spike at ALL!

They get my vote :beer
The only way to discover the limits of possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
FRESHVR4.Wolf 3D.VL-T pump.hybrid 600x300x100.2.5" piping.3" zorst. TD06 20G 185fwkw on 14psi