L300 van

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
vanman
[L] Plates

L300 van

Post by vanman »

hi, name's andrew and i'm a noob to this site and there appears to be a good bit of info around, however i have something in mind for my L300 van.

it's a 1994 model with the 4g63 sohc carb engine putting out an earth shattering 43.8kw atw. naturally i'm wanting more but dont want to spend the earth.

the van already has a header and a crush bend 2" exhaust system. the header will remain and the exhaust will be replaced with a 2.25" mandrel system shortly.

and then there's the intake side - the obvious restriction.

i read that there is (possibly) a twin carb setup that could bolt straight on to the motor. first of all, is this true? secondly if so, what car did it come off and where might i be able to find the setup?

once i've got that sorted i'll then look at an upgraded cam. am think i'll just go to ivan tighe engineering for a regrind to slighly better specs.

i think this will be all pretty cheap and would give me a fair bit more grunt to the van.

so is there anything else i should be looking at? is the single carb upgradable instead of going twin carbs? etc?

thanks for your help!

andrew.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Dunno about carbs.

You could bolt on the L300 multi point injection with associated electronics. Much better than carbs. Better throttle response, fuel economy.

More work though.
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

yeah definately better in the long run to go efi, no doubt about that, but then there is the cost of the related wiring etc and ems - and from what i can see the stock ems is poo so i'd go with something like a microtech lt10s - $1065 is the best price i've found advertised from http://www.b3motorsports.com (are also in brisbane). so i'd be looking at an easy $1500 job to go efi and then a cam grind and exhaust fix up on top of that. luckily i'll do most myself, but it's turning in to an expensive exercise.

i'd like to try twin carbs first to see how i go. i'd like to see 70-80kw atw from the van
2lturbs
I like starions

Post by 2lturbs »

this guy i know has a 1600 turbo motor the motor is out of the 4x4 mirages in japan its all stock and it beats rexys id do that
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

a mate keep on telling me to go turbo engine swap but i have so many more questions about a full engine swap.

something like the 4g63 sohc or dohc turbo or the g63b turbo - would any of them be a straight bolt in? what about gearboxes? would my stock gearbox be ok? same goes for the rest of the drive train? where could i get the engines and waht price would i be looking at?
2lturbs
I like starions

Post by 2lturbs »

his bolted straight in its all simple it evan had a front mount call up jap places because most people dont want the 1600 turbo they would rather go vr4 but they go just as good
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

so that's the 4g61 engine?
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

or could the 4g93 turbo bolt up as well? same question as the last one about gearbox etc
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

well i've had a change of heart.

i'm going to go with the 4g63 engine from the vr4 with some slight customisation.

i found that the intake manifold wont fit in the van, so i'm going to get the van efi IM and use that for simplicity.

then i'm going to get a narrower radiator and run the IC pipes both down the drivers side of the engine bay area to an IC which has the inlets on 1 side only.

i'll pick up a microtech ems from www.b3motorsports.com for $1065 and everything should be pretty well set.

i've worked out a budget of around $5k and i cant really see any dramas i can encounter. i found a post on a nother forum by a guy in NSW who did the same conversion (except used a custom IM) and there wasnt any problems.

i'm really excited!
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Take pics and post them here as you go.
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

yeah i'll do a photo blog and explain everything we did. everything i've found makes it sound and look like a pretty simple swap...with some pretty extreme results! 43.8kw --> 150kw+ !!!! nice.
13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 13secJA »

when i had my head in at gillberts cylinder head services the guy that works there said he was putting a turbo 4g63 out of a starion in his L300. these motors are very cheap straight bolt up and easy to modify. but yeah if you can afford it go the vr4 motor.
El-Jayz Speed Shop sells a great selection engine internals, Turbo Chargers, Waste-Gates, Intercoolers, Manifolds, Blow-Off Valves, Boost Controllers, Fuel pumps, Injectors, Pipe Work, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolt Clamps, Gaskets etc.
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

unfortunately in qld i have to go with the vr4 or newer engine as the van is a 1994 model.

but interesting to know there are a few ppl thinking of and doing it
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

vanman wrote:unfortunately in qld i have to go with the vr4 or newer engine as the van is a 1994 model.

but interesting to know there are a few ppl thinking of and doing it
not necessarily. mitsubishi japan made the SOHC 4g63 sohc motors until the late nineties, in the pajero mini. just find a pajero mini half cut and drop it all straight in!

the VR4 block is the narrow bellhousing pattern , your gearbox is the wide starion type. also worth checking into is the fact that commercial vehicles around that era had lesser emission controls than normal cars, check with your local mod plate approved officer (like john keen of light vehicle certification) of whether a swap to a starion engine is doable without contravening adr`s (maybe just put a cat converter on it)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

yeah i'm going to be speaking to ray miller from miller engineering about the swap. we were probably going to put a cat on anyway just to save hassles

are you sure about the gearbox? i was using the below thread for a lot of information :

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums ... t=67193863