And im back in the game!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Fryman
I dont have my L plates

And im back in the game!

Post by Fryman »

Hey All!

Havent been here in a while.. but i used to post alot on the old board :D well i got rid of my starion (by force might i add) a while back and now im driving my mate rogers one. all you ppl in perth know of this special dude, and since he loves his bike soo much ill borrow his car. last time this happened i got it stickered, but thats what happens when you drive on slicks ;)

Anyway after driving the damn thing home, (bringing in a case of wonderful nostalgia) it stopped completely. got jump started and got home. Now theres water leaking EVERYWHERE..... :( :cry:

So ill attempt to fix it in the morning. put some coolant, put the cooler back on(very smallish and the piping has a homely feeling) and see how it goes :D

The other query i have is, the engine sounds like it is pinging as the turbo comes on boost. either the noise is created from (a) yesterdays 42 degree temperature, (b) Rogers usage of unleaded and lack of usage of the car for the last 4 months [god bless that man] or (c) incorrect timing or fuel mixtures. any help.. it sounds preety bad once it gets to about 5 grand. wheres the adj for a/f on the eci?
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

Typical Starion! :roll: Although this car just sounds like its in need of some maintenance.

Check ignition timing with a timing light before trying to adjust the fuel. Might need to retard the timing slightly. 8 degrees at idle with vaccum advance disconnected (from memory).

I'm pretty sure you can't adjust fuel on the factory ECU without tricking the ECU. What was the engine temp like when it was pinging? If it was overheating, even if slightly, this can contribute to pinging. The regular unleaded will do it no favours either - once it starts to ping, things get even hotter and it will ping worse.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

There's a mixture screw on the side of the TB. On a JA it's a black thing, coupla wires coming out of it, flat screwdriver slot in the front of it. If you look hard you can see rich/lean on it.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Alspos wrote:There's a mixture screw on the side of the TB. On a JA it's a black thing, coupla wires coming out of it, flat screwdriver slot in the front of it. If you look hard you can see rich/lean on it.
Does that affect the idle mixture or across the board mixture?
Fryman
I dont have my L plates

even the holy goat cant help me now..

Post by Fryman »

thanks guys.. now i remember where the a/f adjustment is :(
Worst case scenario, found the water leak. i can fix broken pipes and loose brackets, but for some damned reason there is water leaking from under the ECI unit.. theres a round plate on the bottom of the unit. water is PISSING outta the bottom of that part. WHAT can i do!!! i dont know if i wanna handle a job like this :( i wonder if theres a bottle medicine that will temp fix this :(
David McLeod
[P] Plates

Post by David McLeod »

1. The water leaking could be a blown head gasket, beware!

2. the pinging could be just the petrol in it. It should run on the OLD Super. It needs the octane. My JA runs happily on PRemium Unleaded, Shell is best as it has highest octane

good luck
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

dirty sanchez wrote:Does that affect the idle mixture or across the board mixture?
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an answer to this? I thought it was just for idle too?
David McLeod
[P] Plates

Post by David McLeod »

This may not be the cause but if the car hasn't been driven much it could just be the fuel. I've had my JA since new (yes I'm old). On the odd occasion it would ping under power. Usually a fresh load of 'good' fuel fixed it. Then again your problem may be bigger
Fryman
I dont have my L plates

oohh its not fuel ...

Post by Fryman »

Hey everybody!

Worst dream come true. its not a hose.. hoses are easy to fix. so are clamps.. its the bottom of the ECI unit.. a round like bottom just like the top Where the writing ECI is.I would say that corrosion from lack of use is to blame on this one :( i dont feel that adventurous taking that thing off.. the bottom of that whole unit will have to be taken off and welded up. its not my car... so either ill lose my transport or have to work out someway to pay for it.. hmmmm. decisions decisions. the medicine didnt work - the hole in the bottom of that manifold is waaay too big.

It just pisses out water out. The hose thats next to the bottom..... is that important or can i just block it.. the water coming out is Steaming hot :(

we will see.

Fryman

p.s not happy jan almost everything else works :D
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Just replace the whole manifold and throttle body. I've got a spare one you can have cheap if you can't get one locally.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Will wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an answer to this? I thought it was just for idle too?
I beleive it is fuel mixture across the range, but I could be wrong. Need to check the wiring diagram....... or scream DAVID!!!!!