New Project - Lots of Pics AND Questions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

New Project - Lots of Pics AND Questions

Post by douglovin »

So I got a new 88 Starion. Well not new :O. Great body except for the front bumper. No rust. Bad paint but the car hasn't ran for 6 years.

Problems I have faced.

Gas Tank rusted to hell.
In Tank filter ruined.
Fuel Pump ruined.
Fuel Lines all gummed up.
Lifters and jet valves bad.
Small hole in the Intake due to the corrosion.

So lets get to the pics. Here is the car the day I got it. And I got it for $150 usd.

NO it is not sitting on the bricks. I have a jack underthere. The brings are just saftey measure. Can never go wrong with a brick.

Here is the Turbo. What is that metal wheel in there? I never seen one. Somebody told me its a Frank Wheel?

Here is the top part of the Intake. What is that thing with all the wires coming off of it? The book says its an injection mixer but the picture isn't the same.

Same part but taken off

Intake Man. Pics of the corrosion
Small Hole

Head back from the shop

First Layer of JBWeld to fix the hole. You can see the rusted part to the left. The whole gas tank looks like that. Gonna have to have it boiled clean.

I'm currently still putting more layers of JB Weld over the damaged section of the intake. Then I will sand it down. Soon as thats done I will be putting the head back on. Intake and Exhaust, get the gas tank cleaned then start her up.

Parts bought and fixin to be replaced.

Water pump
Full Gasket Set
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Coil plugs and wires
cap and rotor
hoses and belts
Thermestat and housing

I am cleaning the turbo right now. It spins freely. I'm glad no rust there.
I just don't know what that wheel is inside that I showed above in the picture.

The only problem I really don't know what I am going to do about ATM is the Intake Filter. It is gone. No more. I can't get a new one. Anybody know a good replacement?

Also anybody know where to get a front bumper in the usa?

Well wish me luck on my project. Just wish I had a garage :O
filiboy
I like starions

Re: New Project - Lots of Pics AND Questions

Post by filiboy »

Hi :beer , well is that 2.6 liter engine?, check ebay frequently, there are some nice spare parts available which will switch your car, just ask the sellers, they put some parts which u can see, but they have other as well
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

wide body

Post by Starion VR4 »

Ok, yr turbo is stuffed, well the inlet side anyway, fuel tank, get a replacement 1, if its that badyly rusted it will have pin holes in no time, getting a replacement tank will also have the fuel pump on it if U play yr cards right. Flush the fuel lines both supply & return before U put filters or pumps on, manifold, if its that bad, look 4 a replacement on starquest.com they will also have turbos etc. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

broken fuel tank, pump,lines and the price of petrol. Perfect time to do the LPG mod with high compression :D
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

The 'thing with the wires' is your idle speed control and idle switch.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

That is still damn sexy.....Can I have it?
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Post by douglovin »

Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. I havn't seen another car on the road like this over here... ever. Already checked autotrader, can't find a parts car in the usa at all. no junk yard in texas has one either.

So my turbo is stuffed.. what in the world does that mean? Does it help spool at lower rpm?

Thank you madeofmilo. idle speed control and idle switch. got cha :)

Yes it is the 2.6L, G54B engine. See most of the parts over here I have to special order. I can't get a replacement gas tank. At least not through any shop. I know the dealer will want about 400 for one. I am just gonna have my tank cleaned out and recoated until I luck up on one.

And what about that intank fuel filter? Can I just buy a sock from another vehicle and mod it to fit mine? That looks as my only option. What are some other models you guys have tried and had success with?

Thanks - Doug
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

:o :o HOLY CRAP!!!!! :o :o
I'm Back
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I would have thought having the blades bent like that would have helped spool up of the turbo....Works for the guys at HKS in Japan...

As long as there is no play in the shaft and the seals are in good order, I don't see anything wrong with the turbo....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Post by douglovin »

ive looked at a few other pics of td05 turbos off the starion i havn't seen one with that extra wheel in there. Or at least not one that had bent ends. Yea there is no play in it. Spins good too.

starquest.com doesnt work. takes me to a site about mainframes or some computer jargon.

anybody know a place online to buy the front bumper. I have looked and looked. Thats really the only part I need now.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

douglovin wrote: starquest.com doesnt work. takes me to a site about mainframes or some computer jargon.
The site is actually http://www.starquestclub.com
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
stealth gaysr
[P] Plater austaz

Post by stealth gaysr »

My god those blades scared me, how could that be possible. it looks like the car was a garden ornament.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

There is a guy in texas who has a many cars for parts stripping. His nick is thetexan88, I think, on starquestclub.com.

There are thousands of these cars in every state in the USA, so you should be able to easily source any part you like for a decent price.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
jta_1
Newcomer

Post by jta_1 »

:) yes... it's starquest club.com., but if you don't have any luck there you can go to www.tristarion.com I usually hang out there. & oh my god that td05 looks like you picked up a rock!!!! but, on the other hand it looks really uniform...still i've never ran into that.
88' STARION ESI--87' CONQUEST TSI
85' AE86 COROLLA--95' DODGE AVENGER
01' GSX-R600--97' GSX-R600