which management?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
evoJB
I like starions more

which management?

Post by evoJB »

Hey guys might have to get a new computer as the microtech i've got can't be reprogrammed, and we need to use some non standard bit's on my evo engine.
The 2 i'm looking at now are Wolf 3d ver4, and haltech. Both have good reps, APC have haltech on their evo's, but i noticed the wolf has alot finer tuning with loads of other features. might be slightly cheaper for the wolf as well.
Who like's What?
Starion Powered By EVO
220.5kw/atw
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

Post by Glen GSR III »

i like motec :D

but seriously, when i was looking for an engine management system i was referred to Wolf by a lot of people. Its a great computer for the money you'll pay.
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Aftermarket ECU

Post by Starion VR4 »

MoteC is the best,Wolf 3d Ver4 is my choice value 4 money, who R U getting to tune it? That will depend on what U use as the tuner will have to get familar with the chosen ECU system, Wolf do have a rep on the coast.
Wolf is easy to self tune once U get some initial tutoring for some1( like me). If U want come & have a look at the system running & have a play with it & C if U like it. down load the PC software & have a look to get use to some of the systems. Remember that wolf supply ECU, LOOM, Sensors,Hand controller etc, in the STD kit for $1395 total. or without handcontroller for $1095. Hand contoller is a funky gauge only with limited ability to tune from( to slow to input data)
Download from here.

http://wolfems.com.au/downloads
Dealer from here
http://wolfems.com.au/company/dealers/australia#79

:beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

MoTeC M4 would be the easiest to get running,
ansd should be your choice if you intend to go into competitive motorsport, due to the logging features etc,
but,
you cant go past the Wolf 3DV4 for value and features for money.
and its pc software is much better than the dos type motec software.

I can probably help you out with statup cal files for either ecu,
especially if you use either the VR4 injector (450cc/min) or the evo1 injector (510cc/min).
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Wolf for me. I made that decissionm when i went to Barbagello Raceway for a state championship round and most EFI cars were using Wolf and were very happy. I think you will also find it has more mapping points than Motec and most other ECU's.

WOlf also offer free up-grades and lifetime warrent. I had mine up-graded so i can use the Standard VR4 CAS without modification.

I know Wolf are releasing Data Logging Soon :wink:

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

new ecu

Post by pajeroturbo »

haltech e6x very good
starion84
Big Dorifto

Post by starion84 »

Hi there Barney,

I am interested to know, what do mean they upgraded the wolf to run the standered vr4 cas , do they upgrade the firmware? isn't there just some settings to put in to get the vr4 cas to work?

As I am running a wolf v4, works well.

but I didnt have to upgrade it to run the vr4 cas
DANMAN
*** Half Century Post ***

Post by DANMAN »

I have fitted various ECU's over the years so have got to know a few quite well. I am using a Wolf on my VR-4 engine. Runs pretty good. Great features for the money. I use a microtech in my Silvia, it's decent but the Wolf is better in my opinion.
However, if I could do it all over again I would be more inclined to go an Autronic. They are not much more expensive but are are a heaps better unit. A little more wiring is involved if you want extra features like launch control, but well worth the few extra dollars. Another option is the Greddy E-manage ultimate. It is a piggy back computer that works in conjunction with the factory ECU, if you still have it. Has similar features to the Autronic (even though it's a piggyback unit). Has anti-stall, launch control, injector cleaning function and data logging. Can get hold of them for a decent price if you want one.

Just my two cents worth.
Daily Driver: S13 Silvia - 245 RWKW's (328 RWHP) @ 17PSI. 22PSI Coming soon!
Then I have my fast car.... A Turbo-charged Lotus seven Clubman!!!
Cheap turbo and performance parts @
www.teambooyar.com.au / www.wcr.net.au
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

starion84 wrote:Hi there Barney,

I am interested to know, what do mean they upgraded the wolf to run the standered vr4 cas , do they upgrade the firmware? isn't there just some settings to put in to get the vr4 cas to work?

As I am running a wolf v4, works well.

but I didnt have to upgrade it to run the vr4 cas
Send it over to WOlf and they will up-grade the computer FREE!
send it in a Post bag with another self addressed one inside, it takes about 2 weeks. The new software will recognise the standard CAS. They have added many other things that my engine tuner said makes it easier to tune

Also if you get the memory cartridge for the WOlf you can run 2 maps 1 for race and one for road. I intend to have a second map in the cartridge so that activates when the clutch is depressed allowing launch control and flat gear changing. There are heaps of other things that can be done

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Which ems you choose should depend on who you are getting to tune the car. Theres no point choosing a particular ecu then having your tuner use your car to practice using the ems you choose. Are you getting it tuned down the coast or up this way? Oh yeah if you decide to get a wolf and tuning it up here dont go to racecraft.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Haltech :wink:
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Does anyone here run a haltech e6x or e6k in a car thats actually going?

Need to make mental note of who to grab a map off in a few wks
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

freestyler hit me up

i got maps on my pc for my staz from wakefield haltech e6k ecu!

word!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

HALTECH E6X

Post by pajeroturbo »

Hello there to all starion owners. I am an owner of a pajero with a starion engine 2.0 turbo .the engine is stock never been opened with 150.000 km on it. the only things I have done with the motor is :multipoint manifold from l300 and the optical dizzy ,440 venom low ohm injectors, dual coils for waste spark, tc06 turbo from tc05, 3 inch exhaust after stock down pipe, haltech E6X. I am also an owner of a dynapack dyno and have tuned it my self and the car has made 180 whp@5250rpm and 34kg@3000rpm at 0.7 bar of boost and pump gas.for me i think haltech is the best.

I live in Greece (Crete) sorry for my bad English.
evoJB
I like starions more

Post by evoJB »

I'm tossing up wether to get it tuned on the sunny coast with a wolf guy there, or if it's a haltech was going back to APC. So ATM still sussing which computer, i have had a look at all listed dealers and tuners for each, so really gotta sort out which will do the better job, and yes we'd all like motec but FM, i can't afford that.
The draw with the haltech is the boost controller solenoid, igniter pack, cdi, and other ad ons that hook up to the ecu. The wolf has more mapping points, so maybe better control? and all the other stuff from AEM is compatible with wolf as well i think???
Good to see lots of interest in this topic, thanks for your experiences, it will make the process a lot easier. :beer
please add more
Starion Powered By EVO
220.5kw/atw