Slow Power Window

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Slow Power Window

Post by Ric »

Hi

Would appreciate comments on reason for slow operation of passenger power window.

The driver's side (important side!!) works fine up and down however other side is slower going down and even slower going up.

Expert comments appreciated.

Cheers

Ric
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Lube up your pole. No, I'm serious.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Slow Power Window

Post by Ric »

Thanks Alpos I'll grease up pole and see what happens. I wouldn't really bother with this issue as its not on MY side however the other half might get edgy if the passenger side window stops working!!
Cheers

Ric
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

I had the same issue (on drivers side) , turns out the wiring between switch and motor was partially failing under load. took a good 4 hours of fault finding to find that one !
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Slow Power Window

Post by Ric »

Thanks for that. I have removed door panel and greased the pole as Alpos suggested. If that doesn't fix it I will check out wiring. What should I look for?? Is it fraying or just old age. Did you use a multimeter and if so what values did you check??
sirusdash
Big Dorifto

Post by sirusdash »

A common problem in some bands of cars, is the cable running between the door frame and car chassis gets worn out due to the door openning all the time. The cable breaks down between those points and can no longer carry the full current to supply the motor. this some times can be checked by feeling the cable which will get hot after making the window go up and down a few times. Otherwise feed anotehr heavy duty cable between the switch and motor to test hope that helps
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

multimeter showed up nothing other than a large voltage drop on window motor actuation (which would be expected) . i did the old fashioned "bypass the wiring" in sections until i found which part was causing the fault.

There was no visible fault
Last edited by plasticdash on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Slow Power Window

Post by Ric »

Thanks chaps. I'll check our the cable as suggested and also try the bypass wiring. I reckon I now have all the ammunition to fix this problem. Thanks again.

Cheers

Ric
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I also found putting some CRC on the cogs which rub up against the door shield did wonders.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

The window wiring in both my Starions was farken dodgy so it may well be that.. both cars had burnt out wires in the window circuit that had been replaced at some point in the distant past - one was burnt out all the way from the relay box in the engine bay right up to the switch :roll:

With my Sigma that I converted Magna power windows into, I ended up wiring them up with relays which worked great.
Ric
Lil' Dorifto

Slow Power Window

Post by Ric »

I didn't realise my power window would create so much interest. The window seems to operating better after "greasing the pole" and I haven't tried the wiring yet.

What is this new development about "cogs rubbing against the door shields". Surely they shouldn't do that and why do they?

The plot thickens!!!

Cheers Ric
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Hmm, I ended up greasing the pole but found it made no difference so I continued playing around with other things.
I just sprayed some CRC into the small holes in the side where I could see cogs turning (the gearing on the arm and the cog between that and the motor), It was only the gear on the arm that looked to be rubbing up against the door.. perhaps it wasn't but the CRC made a noticable difference.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Ric, I have had this happen recently ending with the window stuck down.

It was the switch that failed. Fortunately we had a spare set and in good condition. We did a swap and the window now goes up and down better than when I first got the car in 94.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Ric wrote:
I didn't realise my power window would create so much interest.
We all have a window fetish that. :oops:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.