How low can you go?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
arnstar
Lil' Dorifto

How low can you go?

Post by arnstar »

Looking to lower my 85 JB with a set of springs. I had King Springs put in which is 30mm lower than factory but I'm looking at dumping it a bit more. Has anyone tried to compress factory springs more than 30mm? Any probelms?
Last edited by arnstar on Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

How would you compress factory springs?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Places can do it, just heat and squish.

I wouldn't go too low, mine is stockish height and hates speedhumps.
arnstar
Lil' Dorifto

Lowered Springs

Post by arnstar »

Al,

How do you mean your car hates it over speed humps? Is is handling/ride issue or is it clearance.

Cheers!
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

If your after good handling then lower the car until the control arms are parallel with the ground.. any lower and the suspension geometry goes all out of whack and your car will handle worse.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

like this? :D
David
I like starions more

Oh my goodness. That doesn't even look like a Starion anymor

Post by David »

That suspension geometry is SO far out, that somehow your steering
got shifted in FRONT of the wheels...

And the McPherson strut no longer touches the hub axle...

If I didn't know better, I'd say that pic is not a Starion, but of course,
I know better....

Regards
Davod
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Lower

Post by sigmaproject »

After looking at that pic I went and check out the Sigma. It has Starion front suspension and is dropped around 70mm. I was looking at what actually will hit the deck first when I get a flat. The exhaust will be first to go because it hang about 60mm below the rim height. On that pic up the page, everything is lower than the rim. It would completely go to ground with a flat tyre.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

its a gemini surprise surprise......
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

Cookiemonster wrote:If your after good handling then lower the car until the control arms are parallel with the ground.. any lower and the suspension geometry goes all out of whack and your car will handle worse.
i think i remember it being parallel at 1&3/4" lower? i'm also going to convert my 4x4 starion into a sports car to match the wheels now and was thinking 1&3/4" or just flat 2" lower all round.
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

just do it right the first time

Post by StarionBoy »

just do it right the first time and go low, not just a tiny bit.. but a decent amount.. mines fairly low and handles like a dream.. need to work out some shockers which agree with being that low of course tho cos if u leave it with stock shockers and just has smaller springs then it screws up the shockers and u just bounce down the road :roll:
mines a tad lower than stock, no idea how much lower and i bet you will agree looks much better than 4 wheel drive height..
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

Alspos wrote: I wouldn't go too low, mine is stockish height and hates speedhumps.
maybe time to hit the gym :)
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
arnstar
Lil' Dorifto

Suspension

Post by arnstar »

Starionboy,

I like how it sits. Are you running compressed springs of chopchops? I'm thinkin of compressing my springs about 2.5 inches which is 64mm from stock spring height about double of Kings which are 30mm.

Also body kit looks trick mate. It makes the car look even lower. is that Coltspeed NSW or Advance Bodykit in SA? How much did the skirt and bar set you back?

Cheers!
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

umm...

Post by StarionBoy »

the are cut springs... will get around to doing it properly one day.. although it has been like that for ages now and doesnt seem to have a problem..

and yeah the body kit makes it look lower, but really the side skirts sit just under the sills so doesnt make it lower.. im really not sure where the spoiler came from originally, i picked it up for $40 off my brothers ex gf when she sold her starion.. and the side skirts were given to me.. so it worked out to be a very cheap and very good face lift for my starion..

and thanks for the compliment.. if "looks trick" is a compliment lol