Oil Pressure Sender Fitting

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Oil Pressure Sender Fitting

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Anyone know off the top of their head what the fitting is on the standard oil pressure sender? I need to get an adapter made up for my aftermarket oil pressure sender from 1/8" NPT to whatever the one on the standard is.

I would check this value myself but I am living in the city apartment and not out with my car in the hills district so I can't check right now.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I paid $50? for the Specometer 2" electric oil pressure gauge and it came with the sender unit. It also came with an adapter fitting, but I didn't need the adapter in the end.
1985 JB Starion #157
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Bugger. My autometer sender thread isnt the right pitch, goes in about 2 turns and then jams up good. Sigh might end up getting a different gauge then.

If anyone has the info it would still be appreciated
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I had a similar situation... I took the old sender out and then tried to put the new one in. It was a bitch I coudn't even get it started! I thought it had the wrong thred on it or something. I compared the thread to the new thread by putting them together and they looks slightly different. But I figured it was due to them being a tapered fitting.
So I tried to screw it in again. It just picked up a thread but it got tight. I thought f*** it, I'll keep on going as it was the only option. IE they were too close to make an adapter. Anyway it was tight for a while, 4 or 5 turns and then it got really tight then I just put another 1/4 turn on it.

Started it up and..... No leak and a good reading on the gauge... Phew.. It was ok.

Now that being said, the Autometer one could be different??? :?
1985 JB Starion #157
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I think the block is 1/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered) and you are fitting an NPT fitting in (National Pipe Tapered - American). There are about 1or 2 threads difference per inch (from memory) and as TOMSUN said you CAN just tighten the bugger in. Use thread tape or proper sealant and it won't leak, however it is not really good practice and you could end up stuffing either thread.

Either tap the block to NPT or get an engineer to run a die over the sender. Alternatively i think Speedflow make an adapter. Unfortunately there are no commonly available adapter fittings.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

just to confuse things further, I thought the block thread was BSP (non-tapered).
It might even be 10mm X 1.0mm!!!
I will check tonight, if I remember and can find the spare sender.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

I'll just take the 2 senders down to enzed and get them to make me an adapter. Thanks
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I'll be interested to what they say...

Can you still use the factory sender unit with the Autometer gauge?
Oil pressure doesn't have to be that accurate, you just have to have it... :?
1985 JB Starion #157
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

You can also get oil filter sandwhich mounts. Goes between your oil filter and engine block, has two output fittings for common oil temp and pressure guage fittings. No idea how good they are, I've just seen them.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

TOMSUN wrote:Can you still use the factory sender unit with the Autometer gauge?
Nope.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

SpidersWeb wrote:You can also get oil filter sandwhich mounts. Goes between your oil filter and engine block, has two output fittings for common oil temp and pressure guage fittings. No idea how good they are, I've just seen them.
I've got one of those, but I havent had a chance to fit it, looks like this Image

If you want to use the factory sender with an aftermarket guage you will need a guage who's range is 0 ohm at 0 psi and 138 ohm is at 80psi.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Fuel
Enthusiast

Re: Oil Pressure Sender Fitting

Post by Fuel »

fr335tyl3r, have you figured this out yet?

If not i went through the same thing a while ago, ended up getting a T piece so i could run both senders, and it had the correct size for the block, the factory sender, and the autometer. I can try and track down a brand and model number if your interested.
Brent
Lil' Dorifto

Part number?

Post by Brent »

I would be interested in the part number if you find it.
artinist
Lil' Dorifto

Post by artinist »

there is a lot of info regarding that here:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/vie ... er&start=0
Art
Engine bay
http://www.antiMpower.com
88 Starion 225rwhp@7psi on 91 octane