0 RPM?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

0 RPM?

Post by iXNAY »

hey guys,

was driving home last night at about 11pm and was doing 70-80kph in 5th gear and then out of know where the car revs drop too 0. then i tap the accelerator and they jump back to normal.

this happened about 2 more times on the trip home, i also changed to 4th gear too see if it happened again and it did. its like the whole engine looses power, but all the lights and stereo etc.... all continue too run why this happens.

any help would be apprechiated.

regards Ryan
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Could be just an earth or power wire for the taco isn't getting full contact. Check the plugs in the back of the instrument cluster and check the cables in the engine bay for the taco trigger wire. I think it might be on the coil not positive though
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

no its actually happening too the engine you can feel it "shutter" as too speak, its not just the tacho dropping out.
Rogercordia
I like starions

gdf

Post by Rogercordia »

This is the problem,its a efi fault,as i have experienced this with my cordia.Check that your efi componants are secure and not loose,look at terminals, plugs.

This is my experience-after having same symptoms as yours,long time ago,i located fault to my e101.Basically what happed was the heat dissipating gel inside the e101 was coming out of the housing and going were the plug is,Thus disturbing contact.
senior ding dong.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thanks roger,
i thought it may of been something to do with the throttle position sensor cables cause one has came loose before and it has idled badly due to it
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

could be bad fuel pump (blades break and get sucked up, shutting of fuel flow) or dry joints in ecu! Maybe :?
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thanks also silo ill check the car out this arvo when it cools down a little its like 35 degrees outside right now.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

check all the connections i could and nothing seemed foul i started the car and then gave the connections a wriggle and a pull too try see if any where loose/etc....

i may have to check the fuel pump out!

anyone got any tips on getting the fuel pump out without getting petrol everywhere?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Sounds like the 1st signs of ignitor failure.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

any way to check that out cookie?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

iXNAY wrote:any way to check that out cookie?
Try another one. :wink:

My old Starion did the same thing. Would occassionally cut out. Then it got more common over time until one day it just wouldn't start.

Intermittent problems like this are horrible to diagnose. I can only guess what your problem is but just add it to all the other suggestions you've got here. Enjoy! :)
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

I took out my fuel tank to replace the pump :x , But that was in a scorpion turbo! yet to take one out of a starion, i guess its the same deal!
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

anyone got a spare ignitor? :P
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

silo wrote:I took out my fuel tank to replace the pump :x , But that was in a scorpion turbo! yet to take one out of a starion, i guess its the same deal!
didnt happen to be an orange one that was bought from bunbury did it :D
gordonspec® racing
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Mine was suffering similar issues a while back, slight power loss, followed by a jerk and RPM drop, but then would fire back up just as quickly as it came! Got worse over a week or so (more frequent occurences)! So... changed the spark plugs, spark leads, cleaned dizzy cap and I haven't had a problem since! Not sure if this is the same issue as yours but worth a try! BTW, my spark plugs were stuffed, I have an internal oil leak just about everywhere! My car use more oil then petrol! Lucky the oil is cheaper these days... :D
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available