TCO5 versus TDO6

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

TCO5 versus TDO6

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Thought you might find my findings of interest. I recently had to put my standard 5 back on after I found a crack in my 6's housing. After having driven it today I would never go back to a TD or TC06 over the TC05.
I know everybody here is out for the ultimate power from their engines.....who isnt ? But I gotta say the pickup and spool time of the 5 over the 6 is just rediculous. With my new cam the 5 no longer has the trouble of dropping off at around 4,500. It makes good power now right through to 6,200 without any problems..............but the midrange Ohhh the midrange. Way better, wouldnt swap back for anything.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

true, but if you ever modify your engine mildly, I would then stick the TD06 back on.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Funny

Thats funny, not that you would know but I guess if I do mildly modify my engine by removing the 8.5 compression forged pistons, putting the shafts back in, take off the 3 inch exhaust remove the MPI and microtech, take out the stage three cam and vernier wheel, remove the valve springs and put the standard aircleaner back on wind the boost off 25 PSI back down to 12 , removing the ported head then I guess this would constitute mildly modifying my engine rofl Actually the 5 works amazingly well even with all these modifications that I have done.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

ouch.... :(

someone's in a grumpy mood..

I'll just go back into the little cardboard box that i came out of. :oops:
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I think you better persoanlly deliver those clamps to me Darryl and take me for a ride just to see how this new combination works :) Have you dyno'd it with the 5? I am still a firm believer of a TD06 (or bigger) turbo. I think you're just getting old, Gramps ;)
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

I have to give my vote for the smaller turbos aswell (not that i would say no to a td06 or evo td05).
My galant has a td04, yes the smallest of them all. When i first looked at my car and saw that it was a tdo4 i didn't have high hopes for an impressive test drive.
But Decoy and I were very suprised when we stopped in a side street and floored it. Gave very nice "push you back in your seat" feeling, hence i brought it :D
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

If you like the TD04, just wait til you get a TD05H-16G off and EVO3. Excellent spool and power combination.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Re: Funny

Post by toysrus »

Jesusdroveastarion wrote:Thats funny, not that you would know but I guess if I do mildly modify my engine by removing the 8.5 compression forged pistons, putting the shafts back in, take off the 3 inch exhaust remove the MPI and microtech, take out the stage three cam and vernier wheel, remove the valve springs and put the standard aircleaner back on wind the boost off 25 PSI back down to 12 , removing the ported head then I guess this would constitute mildly modifying my engine rofl Actually the 5 works amazingly well even with all these modifications that I have done.
well if you've done all of that and your still getting lag from a TD06 then I'ld say something must be wrong with your set-up, especially with a ported head :shock:
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I wouldn't be suprised if the intake manifold your using is actually restricting the TD06 flow from recirculating well ?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

TD06 here is only used really with 22 and 25G wheels to produce 20-30psi of boost.

TD05H EVO3 16g 16-18psi <-- that would be my choice

TC05-12 is deinfately nice though, I haven't put my TD05-12 in yet (main advantage to this, is I can put a bigger TD housing and wheel on later). My car doesn't drop off power though.

~2250 rpm I'm at 5psi
Before 3000rpm I'm at 9psi, and it stays at 9 until redline
change gear, and its instantly back to 9psi.

Car does sound a bit lumpy at idle, but looking at the car I would say its never been touched, and its a stock cam. I'm supposed to have peak power at 5000rpm, but I get equal power (well feels equal) from 4000 to 6000rpm.

Even my mates who don't know anything about cars know what turbo lag is, and were very impressed that I basically didn't have any. As far as wet weather goes, I would prefer a little lag :) things can get messy even when I am trying to drive slow, but then I have huge camber and normal tyres.
Last edited by SpidersWeb on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Not grumpy

Dont crawl back into anything. I was kidding. As I said how were you to know what I have done to my engine....I was just trying to be sarcastic.
Yes Charlie I am getting old I like the instant rush but not the speed.
I disagree with you about the lag on a modified engine. The modified engine will have no effect on turbo lag, that is a direct result of the inertia of the wheel. Besides I wouldnt have called it laggy at all its just that it is so amazing with the 5 that it is much better.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The increased compression to 8.5 will decrease lag as it will allow more flow through the engine an hence more through the exhaust wheel/housing.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

makes me a feel a bit better about my tc05
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

The 05 housings are great.

How much boost have you guys ran out of a TC05? Are they a ceramic turbo? Not often does the TC get talked about.

This is what I gathered, and no doubt possibly very wrong:

TC05-12A - ceramic turbo, good for up to 12-13psi, fast spooling

Would be interested in some facts about the TC's. Like actual facts not guesses like mine :D
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Tco5

I am running 25 psi on my Tc05 standard JD turbo with no problems. I t generates this psi no worries at all.